Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel line replacement - the rubber ones
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Since my fuel ines are now 16 years old (& about 1500 miles!) I think it's time for replacement. As soon as the garage reaches 50 degrees.

Here's the plan.

Every rubber delivery piece, from front to back, is to be replaced. Though many will disagree, my plastic lines have no cracks & will remain intact unless I find a problem. Also, I want to replace all fabric covered hoses with the same. Every inch is to be replaced. And, if at all possible, all fabric covered hoses will be used - it's a CW 914 & I want it kept that way. Badger me all you want, but I'll do it my way if I possibly can.

Since the car is now 35 years old, I've even found a couple of beautiful/original/new fuel delivery tubes.

I know in 16 years a lot of parts have gone NLA, but I'll do what I can for one last change to factory - figure I'll be pushing 80 when they need to be changed again!

After going through my parts manual I'm a little confused - so

Now for some questions:

1. When the manual calls for "c7 x 12 x 80" I'm assuming that means 12 mm id & 80mm length - what's c7?

2. Got some clamps from busdepot.com. They are right on. Sorry, this wasn't a question.

3. Who has the better prices on proper lines, per my demands? Doesn't matter all that much because I'll do what it takes.

4. Does anyone have a list of all the items needed to redo the rubber fuel hoses, particularly for a pre-83 car? Don't care about vacuum lines - have a ton of all diam's & colors. Primarily looking to keep fuel leaks at bay.

5. Who can I "donate" 4 gallons of laquered fuel to?

6. Injectors - what does it take to rebuild them. Mine seem to be just fine, but they are 35 years old - lotsa crap has to have gotten to the screens.

All positive/negative responses considered. Negative responses will probably be ignored, but post what you like.

Pat

Porsche Rescue
Can't help on the c7 but will be watching for the answer. I can't think of any fuel line with a 12mm ID.

I subscribe to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy, but if the injectors are working ok now, you can flush them on the bench using a 9 volt battery and a couple of jumper wires with small alligator clips. I have filled the short elbow hose with PB Blaster, but WD 40 would also work, and then "injected" it with multiple pulses provided by the battery.

Wonder if you cold use part numbers from PET and try the dealer for hose?
Bleyseng
BusDepot had the 1.7L injectors on sale for $39 ea. Why clean or rebuilt when you can buy new! Its under the 411/412 section as I got 4 for the 72 1.7.

The Porsche HO recall fuel hose is/was rubber coated so its acid resistant, a good thing and CW correct. Reuse you plastic fuel line sleaves. I hate the fabric coated fuel line as it rots so fast.
Porsche Rescue
Geoff, what are plastic fuel line "sleaves"?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 26 2007, 02:20 PM) *

BusDepot had the 1.7L injectors on sale for $39 ea. Why clean or rebuilt when you can buy new! Its under the 411/412 section as I got 4 for the 72 1.7.

The Porsche HO recall fuel hose is/was rubber coated so its acid resistant, a good thing and CW correct. Reuse you plastic fuel line sleaves. I hate the fabric coated fuel line as it rots so fast.

Geoff,

Interesting about the program hose. Mine was replaced with fabric covered. Quite frankly, the only positive (yet ugly) factor of the program was the butchered Audi battery cover! All else was just fresh pieces of the same, except for new clamps. (BTW, I ordered a bunch of new clamps from Busdepot!).

Now, as to injectors.....

I like my originals - they came with car. They work just fine, but after 35 years, there has to be some crud in there. Agreed that Busdepot's are darn cheap, but I want to know how to "rebuild" my originals. If they fail, I know where to go.

Now, again, to fuel lines.....

I'll switch to smooth skin if I HAVE to, but I won't be happy. I've changed my fabric covered lines twice in 35 years, so I really am not concerned about longevity. If I have to change them every 5-6 years - OK.

So, can I get the fabric covered hose or is it NLA?

And, if the parts manual say "c7 x 12 x 150", what is it telling me? 16 years since the last & I don't remember!
Porsche Rescue
I have found fabric covered metric high pressure line readily available.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Feb 26 2007, 11:25 AM) *

On the original fabric fuel lines (hoses) there was a black plastic sleave covering the main long lines across the engine.

look at this pic, Jim

Pat, you can have them cleaned or exchange them for rebuilt injectors. The cost of the new Bosch 1.7 ones at Busdepot makes it silly to get them rebuilt just buy new and stick the 35 yr old ones one the shelf.
Porsche Rescue
Clearly mine are long gone, though I do appear to have new hose throughout the engine compartment. Haven't looked at the tank/filter hoses yet.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 26 2007, 08:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Feb 26 2007, 11:25 AM) *

On the original fabric fuel lines (hoses) there was a black plastic sleave covering the main long lines across the engine.

look at this pic, Jim

Pat, you can have them cleaned or exchange them for rebuilt injectors. The cost of the new Bosch 1.7 ones at Busdepot makes it silly to get them rebuilt just buy new and stick the 35 yr old ones one the shelf.

I took your advice & ordered a bunch of clamps from Busdepot last week - got them today. You were right - dead on! What I didn't realize is that they're about 10 miles from me!!!!

Nice stuff - properly plated. Now, I'll go see them about the fuel lines I need. Heck, they're almost next door!

Cool!

Good call!
jk76.914
C7 x 12 means the ID is 7mm and the OD is 12mm. This gives a wall thickness of 2.5mm, and is the dimension of the original fabric-covered fuel lines. The newer ones, non-fabric covered, are 7 x 13, giving a wall thickness of 3mm. The 7 x 13 can handle higher fuel pressures, which may or may not be that critical with D-Jet. I think the key was the elimination of the fabric, which could become saturated with moisture (or battery acid below the battery), keeping the rubber damp, and leading to early failure.

The later non-fabric 7x13 IS factory, at least in the engine compartment, as of the recall. Even though no car left the factory with it.

The clamps for the 7 x 12 will NOT fit the later lines, but the later 13mm clamps will close down enough to fit the earlier 12mm lines. If you're looking for dead-nuts originality, be sure your bus depot clamps are 12mm.

cooltimes
I asked the same fuel and vaccumm hose questions earlier but never saw the info that I asked for. Did anyone share the information of the hose sizes, lengths and location on the 72 1.7 you have? Sure would like to see it if they did. Also curious why all years and engine size set of the hoses are not offered any place 914 that I looked. It's about safety and is something that really needs to be done.
Bruce could do it.
davep
I thought AA has a kit with all the proper color coded hoses? It may be worth a shot.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Mar 1 2007, 08:18 AM) *

C7 x 12 means the ID is 7mm and the OD is 12mm. This gives a wall thickness of 2.5mm, and is the dimension of the original fabric-covered fuel lines. The newer ones, non-fabric covered, are 7 x 13, giving a wall thickness of 3mm. The 7 x 13 can handle higher fuel pressures, which may or may not be that critical with D-Jet. I think the key was the elimination of the fabric, which could become saturated with moisture (or battery acid below the battery), keeping the rubber damp, and leading to early failure.

The later non-fabric 7x13 IS factory, at least in the engine compartment, as of the recall. Even though no car left the factory with it.

The clamps for the 7 x 12 will NOT fit the later lines, but the later 13mm clamps will close down enough to fit the earlier 12mm lines. If you're looking for dead-nuts originality, be sure your bus depot clamps are 12mm.

They fit! Not a huge amount to spare, but enough to tighten securely. Exact degree of plating as my new distributor rails too! Gonna work & look great!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Mar 5 2007, 08:57 PM) *

I thought AA has a kit with all the proper color coded hoses? It may be worth a shot.

PerProd has most of these too.
Pat
cooltimes
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 5 2007, 08:42 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Mar 5 2007, 08:57 PM) *

PerProd has most of these too.
Pat

Did a search for PerProd and saw nothing 914 related.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=P...G=Google+Search
How about re-doing with a clickable link so others can see where you suggested.

AA, can any of you link to the item since I can't find what you are referring to in the online catalog.

Thanks,
Cooley
Pat Garvey
Sorry - not going by the PerfProd online catalog. Viewed the old-style paper version, which is new. Most of the items are in there - not all & definitely not inexpensive.
Pat
Tobra
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 5 2007, 07:40 PM) *

They fit! Not a huge amount to spare, but enough to tighten securely. Exact degree of plating as my new distributor rails too! Gonna work & look great!

Do you mean the Bus Depot Clamps fit the fabric covered lines with 12 mm OD or the smooth lines with 13 mm OD?
rjames
I can't think of any fuel line with a 12mm ID.

On my '75 the fuel line that runs between the fuel filter and fuel pump have an ID of 12mm.

I received the following info from Dave over at PP regarding total length of fuel line needed to replace everything but the plastic lines: (Thanks Dave!)

7 mm ID Fuel Hose 74 inches
7 mm ID High Pressure 87 inches
Fuel Hose
(that's a total of 161 inches of high pressure 7mm ID hose; better not to have to keep track of two different types!)
12 mm ID Fuel Hose 17 inches

I redid the fuel lines in the engine compartment less than 2 years ago with fabric covered stuff that is readily available at vw supply shops. Howver, I'm not certain that the outer diameter is spec for our cars as I haven't measured it yet (and didn't know any better back when I installed it).

Hope this helps.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 13 2007, 02:47 PM) *

I can't think of any fuel line with a 12mm ID.

On my '75 the fuel line that runs between the fuel filter and fuel pump have an ID of 12mm.

I received the following info from Dave over at PP regarding total length of fuel line needed to replace everything but the plastic lines: (Thanks Dave!)

7 mm ID Fuel Hose 74 inches
7 mm ID High Pressure 87 inches
Fuel Hose
(that's a total of 161 inches of high pressure 7mm ID hose; better not to have to keep track of two different types!)
12 mm ID Fuel Hose 17 inches

I redid the fuel lines in the engine compartment less than 2 years ago with fabric covered stuff that is readily available at vw supply shops. Howver, I'm not certain that the outer diameter is spec for our cars as I haven't measured it yet (and didn't know any better back when I installed it).

Hope this helps.

What Dave sent you is invaluable. This stuff is pricey & I don't want to do what I did 16 years ago - bought 7 meters too much, which has degraded into uselessness (yes, it was stored in plastic bags, in the crawl space under my basement - how's that for UV protecting it). Still cracked beyond hope. This time I'll buy EXACTLY what I need.

Thanks - BIG HELP!!!!!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.