Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Racing tranny questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Hi,
Aside from taking them apart, how could I tell what gears are in what tranny???

If I open them up, are there numbers on the gears that I could find without taking it apart further???

I may just put each one in the car, drive it and see based upon speed/tach what I have....

Any ideas???

Rich
Brad Roberts
I gave up on the letters. I count the teeth. I mark one tooth with a paint marker and count from there.

A lot of the times.. I mark the top of the tranny with what it has in it.. I have seen Brad Mayeur do this also.

B
Brad Roberts
You could put the tranny into each gear and count the revolutions. The R+P is the constant. Mark the input shaft and turn the output flanges.

B
r_towle
so, after I count the teeth, hopefully you can decifer what they were trying to do...

Looks like two of them have no first gear...just deleted...

Rich
Qarl
What are the stock gears? (Letters?)
Brad Roberts
That is "different". My guy's have at least 1-2 tranny's with 904 main shafts or custom shafts that allow 3rd gear to go in place of 1st... so they have 5 "race" usable gears. Have to push/pull the car to grid or shutter it in a third gear.

If we have a box with first.. we use it.

B
Brad Roberts
ZD is stock 4cyl 5th

F is stock 4cyl 2nd
A is first

I forget the stock 3rd/4th

Typically people will build a M3/S4/X5 box. This is a cheap racers box to build.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.