Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best course of action for rust repair...?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
Hi...

I have a 73 914 that is badly rusted in the hell hole area...and the longs on the right side about half way to the door post....already started to cut and chip away the rusted stuff....When upon further inspection...the entire passenger floor from about the rear firewall to half way to the front firewall is thin enough that I could push through it too!

So...Should I replace the floor first? Then work on the hell hole and longs?

What is the proper way to brace things so the car doesnt bend in half? Right now it is on jackstands with the doors off and strut bars running from the striker plate/door latch the the front hinge post. The jackstands are in the proper jack points in the floorpan...Should I put it back on its wheels for the repairs? Or move the jackstands?

What should I do?

HELP!!!

Thanks..

Steve
gopack
I was going to say "hire a body guy" nevermind. good luck on this undertaking!
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Feb 25 2007, 10:54 PM) *

Hi...

I have a 73 914 that is badly rusted in the hell hole area...and the longs on the right side about half way to the door post....already started to cut and chip away the rusted stuff....When upon further inspection...the entire passenger floor from about the rear firewall to half way to the front firewall is thin enough that I could push through it too!

So...Should I replace the floor first? Then work on the hell hole and longs?

What is the proper way to brace things so the car doesnt bend in half? Right now it is on jackstands with the doors off and strut bars running from the striker plate/door latch the the front hinge post. The jackstands are in the proper jack points in the floorpan...Should I put it back on its wheels for the repairs? Or move the jackstands?

What should I do?

HELP!!!

Thanks..

Steve

Look at this link. He did a great job and is something of an inspiration. This will give you a lot of clues and starting points. Pictures of your rust problems will also help in getting advice.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748
dflesburg
sell everything on ebay.

save money for the 5 years it would take to restore the car.

borrow more money and get a Boxster S.

get a beater or pickup truck to drive in rain, snow and ice.

ChrisPaegelow
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Feb 26 2007, 01:09 PM) *

sell everything on ebay.

save money for the 5 years it would take to restore the car.

borrow more money and get a Boxster S.

get a beater or pickup truck to drive in rain, snow and ice.

Oh come on now that is a cop out biggrin.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Luckily the 914 is so simple that any rust repair is easy but time consuming and there are aftermarket suppliers who have taken it upon themselves to make all of the parts!
We start by cutting away just enough of the floorpan to access the longitudinal and inner rocker and begin by gettting the strength back to the chassis. We never cut the whole area as with a unibody car each part adds strength and we want to keep as much strength as possible. The floor pan is usually the last thing we install. It is important to keep the roof and doors on and mind the line as you repair.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.