Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you fix a scratch?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
pin31
I opened the rear trunk to retreive a tool and my engine lid was not all the way opened. I have a one inch scratch in the rear trunk from the engine lid latch bolt.

How do you fix?? I was thinking about masking off the scratch with blue tape, using touch up paint and once it's dry, wet sanding the touchup paint/scratch.

What would you do???? Thanks!
Porsche Rescue
I might just live with it, but if you have matching paint, use a water color brush and "fill" the scratch with several light coats. Build it up to just above the height of the surrounding paint. Then go to an auto paint store and buy a couple of very fine sanding blocks (1500 and finer). Patiently sand the paint down to level. If you aren't making much progress, you may need to touch it with some 600 or 1000, but use a very small block and stay off the old paint as much as possible. However, you can buff out 600 grit scratches with cleaning compound. Then polish with something like 3M's Imperial Hand Glaze.
pin31
Thanks for the advise !!

Imagine the choice words I used when I realized what I did !!
IronHillRestorations
A few years ago I found out about Langka. It's worth getting for scratch repair, and makes it much less noticeable, and much easier than the color sanding route.

http://www.langka.com/
Porsche Rescue
I just watched their video of the process. Looks good to me and probably less costly than buying sanding blocks, and less work.

On an original paint teener however, observe their caution about testing the blob remover before using.
SGB
The Langka stuff looks like a more refined version of what I do- fill using little little droplets on a toothpick, let semi-harden, use razor blade to remove touch-up paint around the scratch (with a BRIGHT light), repeat a few times, then use a clay bar to rub down the finished area after about 12 hours. Unless the paint is lacquer (sp) the edges can't be blended, but shadows can be minimized. When I have tried to "cut-in" touch up with wet sanding (on the imron paint on my car), it ALWAYS made a bigger problem.
Johny Blackstain
Do not live w/ it. However you have to, cover it up & do not allow moisture to get in. I believe you've been given several good options to follow here, but the primary thing is a light touch. Brush, spray, air-brush, paint pen... go light & build it up slowly. Also I would consider 2000 grit wet sand... it's so slow it's hard to mess anything up! Afterwards polish, buff, wax, buff & voila! Good luck.

cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.