Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Glass Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tyler
My doors are empty and before I start reinstallation and find out by trial and error, it would be nice to know the correct process.
Channels are out, of course and I seem to remember removing the front one together with the glass. Early model. 1970.
thanks,
'Cause
icon_bump.gif
...Same here... EDS sad.gif

Empty Door Syndrome,

...I have all the parts coming, but if someone knows best how to.. It would be appreciated, otherwise it's going to be trial and error for me!
I'm certain there will be a bunch of error and oh shitz... So could some one share their knowledge and possiplbly spare any frustration on my part being taken out on glass!

Thanks, Ken
2-OH!
Tyler,

We seem to be at the same spot on the 914 re-assembly world...I put in my passenger window on Sunday...

My car is an early 73' and has the rollers assemblies in the vertical channel and the old style winder mechanism...

My Sunday in shortened version, leaving out the expletives:...

1. Clean, de-rust, paint and lube all components...

2. Bolt (actually they are Sheet Metal screws) in the winder mechanism, only after you are 100% happy with its movement and flow through the winder tube...I used Penetrating Oil to loosen every thing up, them cleaned it out with a rag and sprayed with white Lithium grease and operated the mechanism about a thousand times to make it run as free as possible...I also cleaned the outer tube and spray painted with my favorite color of rattle can...There are some spots at the top of the tube where it hits the body of the door...Wedge a piece of high density foam between the two so it won't rattle...

3. Next piece is the door channel that holds the fuzzy seal and the outer rubber squeege...Only put in the fuzzy seal for now, the squeege comes later...Attach to the door with three flat head/counter sunk #6-3/4 inch screws at the attach points that correspond to the holes in the channel...

4. Now install the verical guide support at the front and the fake vent window and seal...

5. Install rear guide support and seal assembly into the back of the door...

6. Lightly grease inside of vertical channel on all three sides, top to bottom...Align glass as if it were ready to drop into the door...Install bottom spring washers and rollers, Lightly oil...This assumes the window is all clean, bonded bracket at the bottom is free from corrosion and painted...Forward steel sliding rail bonded to the window with the two tiny axles is clean and shinny...Lower window into door...You may have to pull inner panel of door out slightly to fit past bracket on bottom of window...When you get to the top roller axles, install spring washers and rollers, Lightly oil...Drop window all the way down inside door...BE CAREFUL not to tear fuzzy seal...

7. Install short channel onto bottom bracket of window...Slide over the plastic button on winder mechanism and screw into place using machine screws that hold channel in place on window...

8. Install squeege seal out side door in the channel installed earlier

9. Run it up and down, oh say a 1,000 times to make certain you are happy with the performance of the mechanism, window etc...

10. Install black rubber/plasitic cap on top of vertical channel...

Early cars have rollers, there is no seal on the front vertical channel...It all fits so tight, it has no room for anything else in there...

Later cars just have a u-channel seal and slick glass with no little axles...Same process as above, just ignore the rollers part...

Sorry for being so long winded, but all this took me most of the day...I'm real clumsy...

Good luck

2-OH!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
there should also be a procedure on our website (if you can find it!!) or certainly in the "Tech Tips 700"
Joe Ricard
2-OH that's alot better than I did on "the other board"
cooltimes
In this thread :
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=68491

I saw this link that would help in this thread.
https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinfo/pdf/e...914_KATALOG.pdf
'Cause
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Feb 26 2007, 03:09 PM) *

Thanks, that will help!
tyler
Thanks, those directions will help alot. Could you tell me more about this seal business?
"Early cars have rollers, there is no seal on the front vertical channel...It all fits so tight, it has no room for anything else in there..."
Mine is early with the rollers but in the AA catalogue I see what looks like a rubber seal (front window channel guide bar part#914-542-161-12) shown in back of the guide channel. I just got off the phone with AA and they tell me it does go in the early models with the rollers (~$30each, front & back channels). There weren't any of these in my channels when I took everything apart and the window did roll up and down ok.
Can you tell me if these seals really go in a 1970?
cooltimes
QUOTE(tyler @ Feb 27 2007, 08:58 AM) *

Thanks, those directions will help alot. Could you tell me more about this seal business?
"Early cars have rollers, there is no seal on the front vertical channel...It all fits so tight, it has no room for anything else in there..."
Mine is early with the rollers but in the AA catalogue I see what looks like a rubber seal (front window channel guide bar part#914-542-161-12) shown in back of the guide channel. I just got off the phone with AA and they tell me it does go in the early models with the rollers (~$30each, front & back channels). There weren't any of these in my channels when I took everything apart and the window did roll up and down ok.

The rollers you asked about. There are 8 of them as well as 8 spring washers and are shown on a page in that link a couple of posts above that go on all models 6/4. They are located on both leading edges sides of the window glass. There is a small pin they fit on at the top and bottom of each of the 2 roll up window glass panes. I think the only difference in model years concerning glass in the door is the models with a 1.8 engine. Why? I haven't any idea. Just look at the earlier link and you can see drawings of exactly what went in any and all models of 914.
Picture/drawing is worth a 1000 words is very true on the 914.
2-OH!
Tyler:

I saw the seal your talking about in the PET, but I do not see how it would fit, on my car anyway...The leading edge of the glass and the rollers fill up the channel...If I tried to put anything else in there, it would bind up...And, there was nothing in the channel when I took it apart...

I'll look at it again tonite as I am putting the window in the drivers side...

2-OH!
Literati914
QUOTE(tyler @ Feb 27 2007, 08:58 AM) *

QUOTE(2-OH! @ Feb 27 2007, 02:26 PM) *

Tyler:

I saw the seal your talking about in the PET, but I do not see how it would fit, on my car anyway...The leading edge of the glass and the rollers fill up the channel...If I tried to put anything else in there, it would bind up...And, there was nothing in the channel when I took it apart...

I'll look at it again tonite as I am putting the window in the drivers side...

2-OH!

I'm having to resurrect this very old thread 'cause I can not find any more resent threads on the subject, definitive or not.

I'm putting the doors back together on my early '72. I spent a significant amount of time installing the stupid fuzzy seals in the guide tracks.. came time to install the window (WITH it's 4 tiny rollers that the early cars have) and was surprised that it does not look or feel like it's going to be able to fit down in the vertical fuzzy channel - too wide with the rollers.

So, since I took the doors apart too long ago to remember, and PET is not clear on it - do early cars even have a vertical fuzzy seal for the front guide track?

rgalla9146
No front glass seal on early doors. Just the plastic 'star' washers then the plastic rollers.
When dropping the glass into the front channel leave the top star washers/rollers
off until the window drops partially into the door.
Use a piece of stiff cardboard or a wide putty scraper to help slide the lift bracket on the
glass past the outside fuzzy strip. Then put the top star washers/rollers on and
lower the glass further.
Attach the glass to the lift button.
Lower the glass fully.
Install the outer squeegee and the rear plastic piece. One screw.
Install inner fuzzy strip.
Install top piece on front channel.
Adjust glass to assure smooth operation and water tight fit......just joking.
Literati914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 23 2023, 08:09 AM) *

No front glass seal on early doors. Just the plastic 'star' washers then the plastic rollers.
When dropping the glass into the front channel leave the top star washers/rollers
off until the window drops partially into the door.
Use a piece of stiff cardboard or a wide putty scraper to help slide the lift bracket on the
glass past the outside fuzzy strip. Then put the top star washers/rollers on and
lower the glass further.
Attach the glass to the lift button.
Lower the glass fully.
Install the outer squeegee and the rear plastic piece. One screw.
Install inner fuzzy strip.
Install top piece on front channel.
Adjust glass to assure smooth operation and water tight fit......just joking.

Thanks for the confirmation - thought I was loosing my mind on this one.
Guess I'll have more fuzzy fun trying to get the un-needed seals out of the vertical track without removing the track itself (took way too much effort getting that vertical piece where I want it).

Garland
@tyler

Factory manual link

Workshop manual group 8
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.