Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roll Call for new PCA-GGR AX class (914GT)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nine14cats
I am volunteering to set up the PCA-GGR AX class = 914GT in the local PCA GGR, LPR and Zone 7 regions. Since there is a host of TTOD potential 914's that conceivable could sweep the top 5 to 7 spots in local AX's, wouldn't it be fun to have our own class and call it 914GT?

I was thinking of the following cars:

1. Hamilton Racing's blue car
2. Grant and Nathan's blue car
3. Randal's Raby Rocket
4. Steve Nieslony's perennial favorite 914
5. Sir Andy's 3.6 powered monster
6. The Beast with the Matt Lowrance 2.7 hot rod motor
7. BillD with his 3.2SS

Other than Sir Andy these are all trailered 914's competing for TTOD. And Sir Andy has 100HP + more than the any of these cars. This gives us (8) 914 powered drivers all in the same region with arguably top 10 cars.

If anyone else with a 914 wants to join the class let me know.

So....what say ye?

Bill P.
SirAndy
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Feb 26 2007, 04:58 PM) *

So....what say ye?

smilie_pokal.gif

i think that would be great!
running in the current class system is *ok*, but having a separate "GT" class would be awesome!
driving.gif Andy
nine14cats
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 27 2007, 04:43 PM) *

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Feb 26 2007, 04:58 PM) *

So....what say ye?

smilie_pokal.gif

i think that would be great!
running in the current class system is *ok*, but having a separate "GT" class would be awesome!
driving.gif Andy

Cool!...here's what we have:

1. SirAndy
2. Nathan
3. Grant
4. Randal
5. Bill P. (when the Beast is running)

Still to hear from:

1. Hamilton Racing
2. Steve Nieslony
3. BillD and his 3.2SS

This looks like fun! aktion035.gif

Bill P.
BigD9146gt
I look forward to the day I can participate in these grand events!!! Sounds like a fun, good 'ol 914 @ss whoopin class!
nine14cats
Update on the 914GT class:

1. Hamilton Racing's blue car with Andrew Blyholder - In!
2. Grant and Nathan's blue car - In!
3. Randal's Raby Rocket - In!
4. Steve Nieslony's perennial favorite 914
5. Sir Andy's 3.6 powered monster - In!
6. The Beast with the Matt Lowrance 2.7 hot rod motor - In!
7. BillD's SS 3.2 - Looks to go AX4.

That gives us 5 cars and 6 drivers who have said yes. Based on people who possibly could join in the fun we could make 10 drivers.

This is going to be fun!

Bill P.
SirAndy
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Mar 4 2007, 08:43 AM) *

This is going to be fun!

agree.gif

and thanks for the additional parts. looks like half my car is made up of your spares by now ...
biggrin.gif Andy
nine14cats
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 4 2007, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Mar 4 2007, 08:43 AM) *

This is going to be fun!

agree.gif

and thanks for the additional parts. looks like half my car is made up of your spares by now ...
biggrin.gif Andy

Glad to be of help! laugh.gif

I really can't wait to see your car running...3.6L 914-6...what's not to love? wub.gif

Bill P.
Andyrew
I know pca rules... but.....

SBC's??
This is the kind of class I built my car for...
nebreitling
Ahhndy -- what's the latest with your car? have an ET for completion? (yeah, i know these things take time, time, time).

Andrew, by all means, drive west and run with us! i've seen some non-porsche/vw powered 914's at GGR events, so i'd hope they'd let you run. are you a PCA member?
nine14cats
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 4 2007, 04:16 PM) *

I know pca rules... but.....

SBC's??
This is the kind of class I built my car for...

Andrew,

Show up to events and you can run. GGR rules specifically state that to win the $5 trophy you have to be Porsche powered. For the 914GT class, I'll buy you a trophy if you win the class! (I can spare the $5... laugh.gif )....

Seriously, just come out and run. Pay your $30 and let's see how your SBC really does perform. You talk a good game....haven't seen you do anything yet...always some excuse that real life gets in the way.

Put the cast iron V8 where the typing fingers are...come out and play with us!

P.S. I'm giving you a bad time....I can't speak for everyone in the class, but a unique 914 like yours running with the rest of us would really be great. I'd actually like to see Fiid out there with his Subie powered teener as well. We would have over 10 914's running for time in the same class! How cool would that be... aktion035.gif

Let me know if you're in. I'll add you to the list for GGR.

Thanks,

Bill P.
Andyrew
Unfortunately my car is not quite ready yet.. But I think its darn close.

When does season start? I wont drive/trailer it up all the way up north, but i'll participate where I can/ when I can..

I've given it 2 autox's with sbc power, and the first one was on crappy tires with poor suspension setup. The second one I broke a cv the first run and put another one in to make it home.

How soon the season starts-ends determines if I can participate.. I still have cooling problems to deal with, and a front nascar sway bar to somehow mount.. Not to mention my cv's that need adapters.. my 915 needing to be rebuilt/installed.. and a major alignment.

we'll see..

And yes i've raced pca before with it, and I am a PCA member through dad.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 4 2007, 08:58 PM) *

Unfortunately my car is not quite ready yet.. But I think its darn close.

When does season start? I wont drive/trailer it up all the way up north, but i'll participate where I can/ when I can..

I've given it 2 autox's with sbc power, and the first one was on crappy tires with poor suspension setup. The second one I broke a cv the first run and put another one in to make it home.

How soon the season starts-ends determines if I can participate.. I still have cooling problems to deal with, and a front nascar sway bar to somehow mount.. Not to mention my cv's that need adapters.. my 915 needing to be rebuilt/installed.. and a major alignment.

we'll see..

And yes i've raced pca before with it, and I am a PCA member through dad.

You should definitely join us! We need as many fast 914's as we can get to make this a fun class.
fiid
I'm in for the GT class.

The PCA-GGR will actually allow you to class a V8 car now - they have dropped the porsche-only rule with the points system.
Andyrew
So they finally went strictly to the points system? sweet..

Where are the events to be located? All zone 7 events or...

Andrew
Dr. Roger
what, what, what???

did someone mention V8's and local PCA racing, in my neighborhood, all in the same sentence?

=-)

roger
DanT
here is a section from our current rules, I am awaiting a clarification from our Comp director and/or rules comm.
I would read the below as meaning Porsche thru and thru, as in chassis, motor and transmissoin.

stay tuned.

U.S. Delivered Cars: Cars are defined as U.S. model specification Porsches that were normally delivered to the U.S. public for general road use through the manufacturer's authorized sales outlet.
DanT

see below some of the sections for motor swaps.
the engines listed are all from Porsche models of various years and types.
I don't see SBCs or Subies mentioned.

I think this section alone would eliminate any non-Porsche motor conversions from competing for year end points and awards.

still waiting for confirmation of this.

38)

Engine Swaps and Capacity Increases (per chassis number)

NOTE: In all cases, unless specified otherwise, the Engine modifications are measured as deviation from the stock configuration of the engine type — regardless of whether the engine is installed in the original chassis. If the car has the original engine type, the modifications will be those deviations from stock. If the car has an engine swap, the stock specification of the engine type is relative to the stock configuration in the original chassis it was installed. This includes configuration of the entire induction and exhaust system.

Determine the engine capacity points by locating the increase capacity bracket applicable to the engine installed above the capacity of the stock engine. Use the engine capacity table when instructed in item 38c) d) or e).

NOTE: There are no points reduction for reduction from stock engine capacity NOTE: For any forced induction engine swaps — regardless of the chassis — the forced induction engine capacity increases will be subject to a 1:1.4 capacity multiplier. e.g. a motor swap from a 2.0 liter engine to a 3.0 liter engine is a 1000cc increase in capacity. If the 3.0 liter engine has forced induction the capacity increase will be assessed as 1400cc.

From cc To cc Points
0 250 75
251 500 100
501 750 125
751 1000 150
1001 1250 175
1251 1500 200
1501 1750 225
1751 2000 250
2001 2250 275
2251 2500 300
2501 2750 325
2751 3000 350
3001 Plus 375

39)

Engine Swaps and Capacity Increase — Choose one of five options

39a)

The engine type is stock for the VIN #.

Answer all engine modification options as deviations from the stock configuration of the engine type.

NOTE: Up to 30 cc increase from the stock swept volume capacity for the engine type capacity is allowed for a stock engine rebuilt with stock oversize pistons.

39b)

The engine type is not stock and meets ALL of the following conditions:

· The engine was originally installed in the same bodyshell group. Bodyshells are considered in the same group if they are from consecutive model years and have the similar curb weights, and wheelbases per the list below.

Body Shell Groups
356 All
911 and 912 1965 — 1968
911 and 912 1969 — 1973
911 and 912 1974 — 1977
911 SC
3.2 Carrera
911 Turbo through 1989
914 All
924 and 924 turbo
928 All
944, 924S, 968 All
964 All
993 All
996 All
Boxster All
Cayenne All
Carrera GT

· The engine has the same number of cylinders as the stock engine type.

· The engine has up to 30cc increase from the stock swept volume capacity for the engine type #.

ACTION : Go back to the base model choice and select the specific model where the engine type # was factory installed.

Answer all engine modification options as deviations from the stock configuration of the engine type for the base model now selected.

See Appendix A

See Appendix A

39c)

The engine has the same number of cylinders as stock but this engine type # was not available in the same bodyshell group.

ACTION : Go back to the base model choice and select lowest base point model available for the year of the Vin # and in the same bodyshell group

ACTION : Go back to the engine capacity table and select the correct option for capacity increase.

Answer all engine modification options as deviations from the stock configuration of the engine type for the base model now selected.

See Appendix A

See Appendix A

39d)

The engine does not have the same number of cylinders as stock, but an engine type with this number of cylinders was available in the same bodyshell group.

ACTION : Go back to the base model choice and select the car, from the same body shell group and the same number of cylinders as the engine type now installed.

ACTION : Go back to the engine capacity table and select the correct option for capacity increase.

See Appendix A

See Capacity Chart

See Appendix A

See Capacity Chart

39e)

The engine does not have the same number of cylinders as stock.

ACTION : Go back to the base model choice and select lowest base point model available for the year of the Vin # and in the same bodyshell group

Answer all engine modification options as deviations from the stock configuration for the engine type.

DanT
sorry duplicate deleted dry.gif
nebreitling
i would agree with dan that the issue actually doesn't seem to be resolved... personally, i'm disappointed that there isn't a clear accomodation for these special cars.

honestly, i think that we need a few non-vw/porsche 914 owners to show up and force the issue. just my 02.
Andyrew
Im entirely willing to do so..

When I show up with my 914.. they will plainly see the following modifications.

Fiberglass bodypanels
tube stiffening
chassis stiffening
harnesses
racing seats
Stripped interior
koni yellows
adjustable coil overs
large nascar front sway bar
944 turbo front calipers
911 front suspension/ 5 lug done right.
fiberglass spoilers
large flares
9.5's and 10.5's Goodyear slicks
oh.. and a warmed over 355 sbc with fuel injection.

And probably some other things apparent to the naked eye that I cant quite remember....

I'd like to see where they would possibly classify it..

I've got a good 100-600lbs over some of you..
Granted all out cars such as Bill P's I would never be able to touch on a track, on an autox, its as much as a drivers game as it is the car (then again, I could never really match up to the experience that some of you veterans have... so I have no real hopes of taking TTOD..)

My real only fear.. is breaking stuff.. I know i'll break cv's which is why I have stronger one's waiting for adapters. But I only have 2 spair 901 trani's in unknown condition.. Hopefully i'll have my 915 with LSD ready by the time I break my first 901..

Andrew

DanT
Andrew,,
you will be allowed to run with us. The discussion completely falls around points accumulations for year end awards.
Currently I don't think your car qualifies but I am still awaiting confirmation of denial of that point.
Your car will certainly be welcome to attend and compete, and I am sure will draw a small crowd after they hear it run the course a time or two biggrin.gif

Andyrew
lol, yup im working on my new exhaust right now to.. (custom long tube headers to fit over the axles...)

Im very certain I wont be competitive.. but im sure i'll be fun to watch! biggrin.gif
fiid
Couple of questions come to mind...

* Does being in 914GT exclude you from other classes (assuming you are eligable for other classes)?

* Are we planning on an end of year prize for 914GT?
DanT
Fiid, yes it basically restricts you to the one class.
In other words if your car were actually supposed to be running in say AX3, you are no longer listed in AX 3 if you decide to run in 914GT.
Just like any one person can only enter to run one particular car per event.
If there are a minimum of 3 competitors that run in 914GT for the minimum number of events (usually 5) then trophies will be given out by GGR at end of season.

still waiting on clarification on conversion cars.
nine14cats
QUOTE(fiid @ Mar 7 2007, 03:58 PM) *

Couple of questions come to mind...

* Does being in 914GT exclude you from other classes (assuming you are eligable for other classes)?

* Are we planning on an end of year prize for 914GT?

Hi Fiid,....

Yes, running in 914GT as a recoginized class would preclude you from other classes. Depending upon what DanT finds out, you may not have another recognized to run in.

As far as prizes, PCA-GGR would give you the $5 trophy at the end of the year, or maybe a paper certificate. If we all put in $5 for those running in 914GT, we could buy our own trophy!

Bill P.
Chris Hamilton
The real question is would we be able to compete in PAX?
DanT
For PAX I would believe you would still use your original AX classification based on the points system. smile.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Mar 8 2007, 08:07 PM) *

The real question is would we be able to compete in PAX?

Hi Chris,

Good point. I will ask the chairs about this. Is Dave M and Andrew B still doing the AX points updates? If so, we should have no problem implementing a 914GT class for 914 competitors and still running for PAX based on original class. On the timing cards we would just put on the cards 2 numbers:

914GT / AX2
914GT / AX3
914GT / AX4

and so on.

Since the group is running for overall TTOD and competing against each other, we can follow the progess. For PAX points the original points designation is there and those that are doing the calc for PAX points know what classes they have. It may be a little more work, but in the realm of things, it can't be that hard. The hardest thing may be getting the workers who are posting times to post the times in 914GT, not AX2.

I'll ask BillD.

Thanks,

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.