Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TALIMENA 1
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Joseph Mills
Here's the "official" posting:

For the 3rd year in a row... we're driving down Oklahoma Highway One... one more time!

Click to view attachment

As it's been for the last two years... this is an informal NO FEES, NO FRILLS, NO T-SHIRT, real CHEAP MOTEL gathering of teener owners with an emphasis on DRIVING!

Well... that and hangin' out. smile.gif

The date for this year will be Saturday, April 7th (day before easter). This weekend has been chosen because there will be no conflicting "car events" surrounding this date. Children are welcome and maybe we will have a 914 easter egg hunt.

OVERVIEW:

As in the past, the tour will be similar in nature to the MUSR road tours, in that there will be opportunities for some "spirited" driving, but it is not a race, nor is it a competition. If you want to race, feel free to meet me at the next MUSR AX...

All participants are encouraged to drive at their own comfortable pace. We will be stopping on numerous occasions for "breaks" at the scenic viewpoints and a few "photo ops'. This will allow us to re-group when necessary. Bring your camera!

We will meet in Talihina, OK, at the Kiamichi Inn. This is a classic "car" motel from the sixties, owned by Miss Kitty, who has again given her blessings for our Saturday night cookout in the parking lot right next to our cars. Many of us arrive on Friday.

For the drive, from Talihina, we approach State Highway 1, also known as the Talimena National Scenic Byway, or for short, Talimena Drive. This road runs for sixty miles to the town of Mena, AR. Although other states can boast of a larger quantity of twisties, Talimena holds it's own when it comes to a driving challenge, and has been identified as one of the best sportscar roads in America by Car and Driver Magazine and various other car and bike organizations. It extends west to east on top of the ridgeline of Winding Stair Mountain and Rich Mountain in the Ouachita National Forest north of the Kiamichi Mountains.

These sixty miles of highway are filled with sharp curves and 13% grades of unbroken blacktop. There are lots of both low and high speed turns with many tight switchbacks that are often preceded by steep downhill grades. Your brakes should be in their best condition. Several drivers have told me "THIS is better than any friggin' DE I've ever attended!"

Overall, the road surface itself is in very good shape with only occasional, rough areas. There are many scenic vistas that overlook the valleys for pulling over and regrouping, or taking some pics. All of it comes together so nicely, that even if you're temporarily stuck behind a slow moving RV, it's still a cool drive.

Remember, this is not a drive around the block - be adequately prepared... or be prepared to be adequately humiliated. Or cared for... or left behind (we'll pick you up on the way back). Extra parts, tools and AAA are strongly advised.

We will tour around Mena, have lunch, and when everyone is ready, get back to the driving task at hand, and tour back to Talihina. Don't even bother trying to re-wind the turns backwards... won't work smile.gif

After a break, we'll get together for our cookout and favorite beverages. Sunday morning we'll have a nice breakfast before heading home.

This is a fair weather get together. Mild chance of rain will not deter us, however eminent threat of severe precipitation will cancel our plans. We will be in touch as the time draws near.

Talihina, OK (http://www.talihinacc.com/).

For reservations call 918-567-2243. Tell "Kitty" you're with the 914 group.
The rates are about the same as last year:
1 bed 1-2 people 38.41
2 bed 2-3 people 49.39
3 bed 3-5 people 65.36
(In some cases, an extra 5.00 may be charged for the 3rd or 4th person)

Attendees list as of 3/20:

Joseph & Rea (plus Edith), OK
Curt & Angela, OK
Clay & Betty, TX
Rusty, AL
Doug & "Das Weibchen", TX
Stephen, Krebs OK

I will update this list as you reply to this thread or PM me.

I'm working on a "schedule" of events.

Betty
"... and maybe we will have a 914 easter egg hunt".

Now THAT sounds like fun! Easter egg hunt for any kids and how about an Easter Booze Hunt for the adults?!?!?! drunk.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif

Does anybody have any bunny ears?

cooltimes
QUOTE(Betty @ Feb 27 2007, 11:07 AM) *

"... and maybe we will have a 914 easter egg hunt".

Now THAT sounds like fun! Easter egg hunt for any kids and how about an Easter Booze Hunt for the adults?!?!?! drunk.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif

Google search brought this up.
Shows how anyone can make some and cheap.

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?ty...&navLevel=3

Playboy wasn't too helpful.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Feb 27 2007, 12:07 PM) *

Shows how anyone can make some and cheap.

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?ty...&navLevel=3

Playboy wasn't too helpful.

Thank you Mr. Cool for that link!

Here they are:

Click to view attachment

I can see it. A dozen 914s being driven by rabbits thru the hills of oklahoma. wub.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

cooltimes
[quote name='Joseph Mills' date='Feb 27 2007, 07:17 PM' post='868624']

Betty said, "Does anybody have any bunny ears?"
[/quote]

I can see it. A dozen 914s being driven by rabbits thru the hills of oklaoma. wub.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
[/quote]
Bunny ears are hot this year.
TheCabinetmaker
icon_bump.gif
Joseph Mills
Okay now... where are the rest of you Okies...

We don't want to be outnumbered by those TEXANS!

do we? unsure.gif

ClayPerrine
Joseph...

Miss Kitty says you stole my room!!!! mad.gif For the last 2 years, Betty and I have been in room 14. She told me you said you were in there last year.

Buddy, I have pictures to prove it!!!!

I have room 11 if you want to trade (king size bed in 1, queen in 14). poke.gif

Joseph Mills
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 3 2007, 10:55 AM) *

Joseph...

Miss Kitty says you stole my room!!!! mad.gif For the last 2 years, Betty and I have been in room 14. She told me you said you were in there last year.

Sure, I'll be happy to trade.

Have you heard from Dennis/Linda or Rich/Reba, etc?

How about the Houston guys?

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Joseph Mills @ Mar 4 2007, 11:56 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 3 2007, 10:55 AM) *

Joseph...

Sure, I'll be happy to trade.

Have you heard from Dennis/Linda or Rich/Reba, etc?

How about the Houston guys?

I called Richard right after I called in my reservations. I am going to notify RichJ so he can tell Dennis and Linda.

I can also get in touch with Mike Floyd.

Rusty
Okay... count me in!
Betty
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Mar 6 2007, 07:06 PM) *

Okay... count me in!

Woo Hoo!!!! rocking nana.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Betty @ Mar 6 2007, 08:56 PM) *

Okay... count me in!

agree.gif Nice!

Allow me to add your name to our roster! beerchug.gif

TheCabinetmaker

Okay... count me in!

Excellent!!!!!!!!!! drunk.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif smoke.gif
dagdal1967
Now that my crisis of faith is over, I'll be there! Looking forward to getting to drive "Das Weibchen" (the bitch) on some curvy roads!

Doug
Betty
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Mar 7 2007, 08:28 PM) *

Now that my crisis of faith is over, I'll be there! Looking forward to getting to drive "Das Weibchen" (the bitch) on some curvy roads!

Doug

Woo Hoo again!!! aktion035.gif

I'm thinkin' you need to get "Das Weibchen" printed on a magnet you can put on the side of the car!

The one year we had Clay's old 2.0 motor in my car while we were rebuilding my engine, I put "+.2" on a magnet and put it next to the "1.8" on the back of my car.

In fact... I know where I can get my hands on a set of magnetic flames if you think they'll make your car go faster?!?!?! biggrin.gif

We can even swap them from car to car for special "Kodak moments"!
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Betty @ Mar 7 2007, 08:57 PM) *

I'm thinkin' you need to get "Das Weibchen" printed on a magnet you can put on the side of the car!
The one year we had Clay's old 2.0 motor in my car while we were rebuilding my engine, I put "+.2" on a magnet and put it next to the "1.8" on the back of my car.

In fact... I know where I can get my hands on a set of magnetic flames if you think they'll make your car go faster?!?!?! biggrin.gif

We can even swap them from car to car for special "Kodak moments"!

What does a ride with a whale tail and five foot long decals need?

Needs some flames... w00t.gif

Doug - Keep on keepin' the faith... I added you & yer bitch to the list. biggrin.gif

dagdal1967
QUOTE(Betty @ Mar 7 2007, 08:57 PM) *

Where exaclty can one get magnets like that printed... Hmmmm idea.gif
Betty
"Where exaclty can one get magnets like that printed... Hmmmm idea.gif"

Google is your friend. Just search on "magnetic flames". They're already printed and pre-cut. The place I got them from is no longer in business but there are other places out there.

I even found one place where you can get magnetic bird poo for playing jokes with... biggrin.gif
cooltimes
QUOTE(Joseph Mills @ Mar 6 2007, 10:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Betty @ Mar 6 2007, 08:56 PM) *

Okay... count me in!

agree.gif Nice!

Allow me to add your name to our roster! beerchug.gif

Here is a bump just because it important bump to the OAT areas.
icon_bump.gif
Twystd1
I have to tell you nut cases sumpin.

Even though I live In SoCal and get the opportunity to hang out with other 914 owners on any given day of the week if I so choose.

Everytime I read this thread for the Talimena drive. I get jealous as hell.

Me thinks you folks are gunna have a very good time on this cruise.
Please post daily on your antics and folderol as it happens if you are sober or not..... I will be with you guys in spirit. Cause this gathering is really fuchin cool. I can tell by the responses to this thread.

Good luck and report back..!!!

Regards to all,
Clayton
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Mar 9 2007, 09:44 AM) *

Even though I live In SoCal and get the opportunity to hang out with other 914 owners on any given day of the week if I so choose.

Everytime I read this thread for the Talimena drive. I get jealous as hell.

Me thinks you folks are gunna have a very good time on this cruise.
Please post daily on your antics and folderol as it happens if you are sober or not..... I will be with you guys in spirit. Cause this gathering is really fuchin cool. I can tell by the responses to this thread.

Good luck and report back..!!!

Regards to all,
Clayton

Airplane tickets from Ontairo to DFW are cheap, and I have an empty seat for this event. Or you can ride with Rusty in the PURPLE 914!!!!

TheCabinetmaker

Please post daily on your antics and folderol as it happens if you are sober or not.....
Regards to all,
Clayton

Its only a one day event, but I'll bet someone post pics anyway.
dakotaewing
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 10 2007, 07:02 AM) *

Please post daily on your antics and folderol as it happens if you are sober or not.....
Regards to all,
Clayton

Arrive Friday night -
Sit in parking lot Friday PM and drunk.gif
Drive Saturday driving.gif
Sit in hotel parking lot Sarurday night and jsharp.gif and beer3.gif
Sunday driving-girl.gif home

Welcome to a one day event... av-943.gif
cooltimes
QUOTE(Joseph Mills @ Feb 26 2007, 09:45 PM) *

Here's the "official" posting:

For the 3rd year in a row... we're driving down Oklahoma Highway One... one more time!

Click to view attachment

As it's been for the last two years... this is an informal NO FEES, NO FRILLS, NO T-SHIRT, real CHEAP MOTEL gathering of teener owners with an emphasis on DRIVING!

Well... that and hangin' out. smile.gif

The date for this year will be Saturday, April 7th (day before easter). This weekend has been chosen because there will be no conflicting "car events" surrounding this date. Children are welcome and maybe we will have a 914 easter egg hunt.

OVERVIEW:

As in the past, the tour will be similar in nature to the MUSR road tours, in that there will be opportunities for some "spirited" driving, but it is not a race, nor is it a competition. If you want to race, feel free to meet me at the next MUSR AX...

All participants are encouraged to drive at their own comfortable pace. We will be stopping on numerous occasions for "breaks" at the scenic viewpoints and a few "photo ops'. This will allow us to re-group when necessary. Bring your camera!

We will meet in Talihina, OK, at the Kiamichi Inn. This is a classic "car" motel from the sixties, owned by Miss Kitty, who has again given her blessings for our Saturday night cookout in the parking lot right next to our cars. Many of us arrive on Friday.

For the drive, from Talihina, we approach State Highway 1, also known as the Talimena National Scenic Byway, or for short, Talimena Drive. This road runs for sixty miles to the town of Mena, AR. Although other states can boast of a larger quantity of twisties, Talimena holds it's own when it comes to a driving challenge, and has been identified as one of the best sportscar roads in America by Car and Driver Magazine and various other car and bike organizations. It extends west to east on top of the ridgeline of Winding Stair Mountain and Rich Mountain in the Ouachita National Forest north of the Kiamichi Mountains.

These sixty miles of highway are filled with sharp curves and 13% grades of unbroken blacktop. There are lots of both low and high speed turns with many tight switchbacks that are often preceded by steep downhill grades. Your brakes should be in their best condition. Several drivers have told me "THIS is better than any friggin' DE I've ever attended!"

Overall, the road surface itself is in very good shape with only occasional, rough areas. There are many scenic vistas that overlook the valleys for pulling over and regrouping, or taking some pics. All of it comes together so nicely, that even if you're temporarily stuck behind a slow moving RV, it's still a cool drive.

Remember, this is not a drive around the block - be adequately prepared... or be prepared to be adequately humiliated. Or cared for... or left behind (we'll pick you up on the way back). Extra parts, tools and AAA are strongly advised.

We will tour around Mena, have lunch, and when everyone is ready, get back to the driving task at hand, and tour back to Talihina. Don't even bother trying to re-wind the turns backwards... won't work smile.gif

After a break, we'll get together for our cookout and favorite beverages. Sunday morning we'll have a nice breakfast before heading home.

This is a fair weather get together. Mild chance of rain will not deter us, however eminent threat of severe precipitation will cancel our plans. We will be in touch as the time draws near.

Talihina, OK (http://www.talihinacc.com/).

For reservations call 918-567-2243. Tell "Kitty" you're with the 914 group.
The rates are about the same as last year:
1 bed 1-2 people 38.41
2 bed 2-3 people 49.39
3 bed 3-5 people 65.36
(In some cases, an extra 5.00 may be charged for the 3rd or 4th person)

Attendees list as of 3/06:

Joseph & Rea (plus Edith) OK
Curt & Angela OK
Clay & Betty TX
Rusty MS
Doug & "Das Weibchen" TX

I will update this list as you reply to this thread or PM me.

I'm working on a "schedule" of events.

Rusty is not located in MS but Alabama. aubergine914.jpg

Other colors red914.jpg betty914.jpg known
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Mar 10 2007, 08:24 AM) *

Regards to all,
Clayton

Arrive Friday night -

Not everyone arrives on friday night (me) and stays over on Saturday night!!!! Its only a two hour drive from here.

Arrive Sat @10:00am, Leave Sun @10:am. Hmm, 24 hours. confused24.gif

Are you going to grace us Thom?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 10 2007, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Mar 10 2007, 08:24 AM) *

Regards to all,
Clayton

Arrive Friday night -

Not everyone arrives on friday night (me) and stays over on Saturday night!!!! Its only a two hour drive from here.

Arrive Sat @10:00am, Leave Sun @10:am. Hmm, 24 hours. confused24.gif

Yea Thom, Are you going to come again this year? Are you going to regale us with tales of you phantom 914... the one that no one has ever seen????

poke.gif

dakotaewing

I am seriously considering it, but, I am sick and tired of going to events and not driving my 914 - I have moved forward with my car more than ever in the last 12 months, but I seriously doubt it will even be ready for the MUSR -

Heather and I did have a great time last year riding with others though -
TheCabinetmaker
I will have a spare seat in my car, and Angela will have one in her Vette (behind me of course laugh.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Booked my room today. Car is running sweet. Here we come!!!!!!!!1
dagdal1967
Just booked my room too. I (we?) will be arriving on the Friday evening. Can't wait!

Doug
ClayPerrine
Is it time to leave yet?? :toe tapping:

I need a vacation right now!!!!!

dagdal1967
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 19 2007, 02:01 PM) *

Is it time to leave yet?? :toe tapping:

I need a vacation right now!!!!!

Soon Clay... Very soon! beerchug.gif

What time are you guys leaving on Friday? Might be nice to drive up together, but I was planning to wait until after work.

Doug
ClayPerrine
Around Noon.

Don't follow the mapquest directions, it takes longer that way. I can send you directions that will be easier and more scenic.

dagdal1967
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 19 2007, 11:27 PM) *

Around Noon.

Don't follow the mapquest directions, it takes longer that way. I can send you directions that will be easier and more scenic.

Ok.. I'll get the directions from you when we talk about the Fuel Pump issue. I'm all for scenic beauty especially if it gets me there quicker!

I'm not sure David is coming now.. He may be working that weekend so I may be able to take off sooner then 4:00

We'll see. thumb3d.gif

ClayPerrine
After speaking with Betty, we are planning to leave from Wes' shop around 3 to beat the traffic leaving Dallas at rush hour.

dagdal1967
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 20 2007, 08:50 PM) *

After speaking with Betty, we are planning to leave from Wes' shop around 3 to beat the traffic leaving Dallas at rush hour.

I can probably make that. Should be fun!

Doug
mrdezyne
Still no teener rolling on the ground yet but we just picked up a {cough} Miata on Monday.... If you don't mind rice with your kraut I'll try to talk the wifey into a weekend drive...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mrdezyne @ Mar 22 2007, 12:32 PM) *

Still no teener rolling on the ground yet but we just picked up a {cough} Miata on Monday.... If you don't mind rice with your kraut I'll try to talk the wifey into a weekend drive...

Naa.. we dont' mind. Come and play with us.....

ClayPerrine
Just talked with some of the local guys.

On the possible list is:

Don Doumeq
Richard Fisher
Mike and Julie Floyd.

On the Definite list is:

Robyn and Travis Howard.

WooHoo!!!! driving.gif driving-girl.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 22 2007, 12:20 PM) *

QUOTE(mrdezyne @ Mar 22 2007, 12:32 PM) *

Naa.. we dont' mind. Come and play with us.....

agree.gif Bring it on. You will love seeing the 914s that will be there. It will probably speed your project ahead by at least 2 weeks. biggrin.gif

Plus you get to driving.gif

And beer3.gif

Remember to tell Kitty at the motel that you're with the 914 car group.

Joseph Mills
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 22 2007, 07:08 PM) *

Just talked with some of the local guys.

On the possible list is:

Don Doumeq
Richard Fisher
Mike and Julie Floyd.

On the Definite list is:

Robyn and Travis Howard.

Thanks Clay. Here is the updated list:

CONFIRMED:Joseph & Rea (plus Edith), OK
Curt & Angela, OK
Clay & Betty, TX
Rusty, AL
Doug & "Das Weibchen", TX
Stephen, Krebs OK
Robyn & Travis Howard, TX

MAYBE
Don Doumeq
Richard Fisher
Mike and Julie Floyd.
Steve McQueen

well... it says "maybe" biggrin.gif

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Joseph Mills @ Mar 23 2007, 01:02 AM) *

MAYBE

Steve McQueen

well... it says "maybe" biggrin.gif

If
Steve McQueen shows up, I am..... #1 NOT standing downwind of him (he has to be a LITTLE gamey by now) and #2 I am NOT getting in front of a 917K (but I will try to talk him into letting me drive it!)

mrdezyne
Are there any wineries in this area? I haven't been to the southeast corner in quite a while...
Still working on the wife. Is it true that it is easier to ask forgiveness than it is permission? LOL!
Betty
Here's a website with a map and links for Oklahoma wineries:
http://www.oklahomawines.org/map.htm

Here are a couple of websites with links for Arkansas wineries:
http://www.wineweb.com/scripts/search3.cfm/_/USA/AR/
http://www.vino.com/wineries/united-states...n.asp?cr_ID=150

wine.gif
dagdal1967
Aw-Right Betty for doing your homework...

I can assume that we'll all be making a trip to "Girls Gone Wine" for a photo shoot?

Doug
ClayPerrine
We will be leaving from the Ihop at the NE corner of 75 and 380 in McKinney, Tx at 3PM for anyone who wants to caravan up with us. The caravan also includes a nice, scenic drive too. If you can't make the caravan, you can follow along behind us. I am posting the directions we will be following.

From McKinney, Take I75 North. Far up into Oklahoma, 75 will merge with hwy 69 (Huh Huh Huh... he said "69". Shaddup Beevis!) Stop for gas in Atoka if you are anywhere near half tank. There is no place to get gas from here to Talimena. When 75 and 69 split again, follow 69 north until you reach the town of Stringfellow.

At Stringfellow, you will pick up Hwy 43. Keep going on 43 for a long time, way out in the country. You will cross the Indian Nation turnpike about halfway along your trip down this road.

Eventually you will pass along the southern end of Sardis Lake. Shortly thereafter Highway 43 will come to a stop sign, and a left turn will take you across the dam at the east end of Sardis Lake. Follow this road and it will end at Hwy 2. Turn left on Hwy 2, and you will cross a small end of Sardis Lake.

When Hwy 2 meets Hwy 1, turn right on Hwy 1. This will run straight into Talimena. It also runs right past the Motel, which is on the right, just after the downtown area (don't blink or you will miss it).

And that is how to get to Talimena from McKinney. It is a great drive, but don't do it just after dark. We got plastered with bugs while passing the lake last year on the way home.
ClayPerrine
Oh.. and I found out today that Travis Howard is going to wuss out and bring his taildragger donor car instead of his 914. He said something about it riding better and all that bs.gif. He needs to pull the motor and put it in his 914. Then he can be cool like me! poke.gif

dagdal1967
10 days (including today) and counting till we leave for the hills.

Can't wait! boldblue.gif mueba.gif rocking nana.gif w00t.gif driving.gif

Doug
mrdezyne
OK! Put us on the list officially (Curt and Spring Rainbolt driving a blue Miata, from Tulsa). I'm calling Kitty today for our room, hopefully there is something left.

we will be showing up Friday night and may have to head back home Saturday night as I leave the country a day later...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.