Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: White headlight surrounds white again?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
jasons
I have some white surrounds that were painted black by a PO. I stripped the paint last night, no problem. But the white is not so white. I realize they should be a little off-white, but I would call these a yellowed kind of white.

Anyone got a technique for making them look closer to new?
smg914
I can't help you on the yellowing but I'd like to know what you did to safely strip the paint off of them?
jasons
It was a spur of the moment decision. They looked like crap, so I figured I didn't have much to lose. I just used aircraft stripper. Its probably a little nastier than needed but it worked and it didn't harm the plastic. I've seen some threads where other people used Citri-Strip. I think its less toxic.

Eric_Shea
Yeah... that was damn near impossible for me, in fact, so impossible I went the paint route. Check this thread out for the paint code. Very happy with the results.

E.
jasons
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 27 2007, 10:52 AM) *

Yeah... that was damn near impossible for me, in fact, so impossible I went the paint route. Check this thread out for the paint code. Very happy with the results.

E.

So you got that paint at HD? Was it in a rattle can?
Eric_Shea
Yes... exact match in my book.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(jasons @ Feb 27 2007, 12:51 PM) *

It was a spur of the moment decision. They looked like crap, so I figured I didn't have much to lose. I just used aircraft stripper. Its probably a little nastier than needed but it worked and it didn't harm the plastic. I've seen some threads where other people used Citri-Strip. I think its less toxic.

Citri-Stirp worked perfectly for me. Do a search through this forum.
markb
I asked this over in the Garage, too. Can anybody find the Valspar/Plasticote paint? I can find it online, but cant's find anyone who actually SELLS it. A little help would be aprreciated. I have a couple of sets of headlight surrounds crying out to be painted. sad.gif
Pat Garvey
I used Citri-Strip with excellent results. One set had 4 coats of paint! Used the spray on Citri-Strip, let it soak overnight, gave it a quick spray for another 30 minutes &stripped the paint off (wear rubber gloves).

Every set I have did NOT come out white. Tried bleach, etc, to no avail. Apparently they are creme colored, not pure white.

Did one set in Rustoleum plastic primer white - looked great. Did another set the same way, but followed up with Rustoleum light creme for plastic. It's a satin finish & works great.

The final set I stripped as above & sanded with increasignly finer grit paper. This still did not remove minor off-color stains, though they looked good.

I'd go with the second method if you have an early 914. If '74 or later, leave them, or repaint them black. That's what they should be.

i'd refer to my earlier posts about this, but for some reason (changeover?) couldn't find them with a search.
markb
So Rustoleum primer white, then followed up with Rustoleum light creme for plastic? How close is it to factory?

1970 Neun vierzehn
For color reference, here's an OEM (unpainted) H/L surround from a 1970.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(markb @ Mar 18 2007, 09:30 PM) *

So Rustoleum primer white, then followed up with Rustoleum light creme for plastic? How close is it to factory?

You be the judge.

Here's a pic of the 3 alternatives. I've done everything I can with the originals to brighten them up a bit. Nothing had any effect - bleach, ammonia, anything non-solvent based. Yeah, they're original, but they look old. Stripper, 2000 grit sanding, and very light coats of paint, over very light coats of plastic primer, left me with surrounds that actually look close to original (new). See what I mean.

BTW, there are 2 variations of these things. One with a smooth finish & one with a pebble grained finish. No sanding can be done to the pebble grained finish. If it's yellowed - you're stuck.
Pat
type47fan
Smooth finish surrounds. I wanted a smooth, but not glossy finish so I used 2000 grit wet paper followed by polishing compound on a soft cloth wheel. It took out the oily fingerprints left by the PO that I couldn't remove with solvents, etc.

Thanks,
Wayne (type47fan)
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(type47fan @ Mar 28 2007, 09:16 PM) *

Smooth finish surrounds. I wanted a smooth, but not glossy finish so I used 2000 grit wet paper followed by polishing compound on a cloth wheel. It took out the oily fingerprints left by the PO that I couldn't remove with solvents, etc.

Thanks,

Ummm, looks like your (very nice!) 914 is a '75 or '76. Headlight surrounds should be black.
Pat
type47fan
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 28 2007, 07:28 PM) *

Smooth finish surrounds. I wanted a smooth, but not glossy finish so I used 2000 grit wet paper followed by polishing compound on a cloth wheel. It took out the oily fingerprints left by the PO that I couldn't remove with solvents, etc.

Thanks,

Ummm, looks like your (very nice!) 914 is a '75 or '76. Headlight surrounds should be black.
Pat

Yup, a '76 (#3947). I am slowly, and carefully back dating certain aspects of the car, to suit my personal taste. After 30 years of owning 914s, I've got a platform on which to put most of my favorite 914 detail treatments. Heck, I'm putting an emissions compliant V8 in it, 911 S struts, 16x6 Fuchs, 914/6 steering column, wipers/washers, and a whole lot of other mods that kill it for originality anyway. That's why I love this board. There's room for the CW, the hot rodder, and everyone in between.

I do still have the flawless black surrounds that I might put back on for the occaisional formal evening affair. . . .

I just thought I would share my "On Topic" experience and outcome with refreshing the early surrounds. . . .that's all.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(type47fan @ Mar 28 2007, 10:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 28 2007, 07:28 PM) *

Thanks,

Pat

Yup, a '76 (#3947). I am slowly, and carefully back dating certain aspects of the car, to suit my personal taste. After 30 years of owning 914s, I've got a platform on which to put most of my favorite 914 detail treatments. Heck, I'm putting an emissions compliant V8 in it, 911 S struts, 16x6 Fuchs, 914/6 steering column, wipers/washers, and a whole lot of other mods that kill it for originality anyway. That's why I love this board. There's room for the CW, the hot rodder, and everyone in between.

I do still have the flawless black surrounds that I might put back on for the occaisional formal evening affair. . . .

I just thought I would share my "On Topic" experience and outcome with refreshing the early surrounds. . . .that's all.

Nope - no slam intended. Many of us prefer the early surrounds, though the black ones are more easily maintained. Can't say I have a preference for either look, though for my 914 I must have the white/creme models.

I do find it interesting that someone with a later model wouls prefer the "whites", but since you have the "blacks" on the shelf, it's a street preference. I "prefer" my chrome steelies, but have restored "correct" painted steelies w/tires for the concours afternoon.

So - enjoy & have fun. I may be a purist when necessary, but am usually not. Just like to be ready when competition calls.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.