Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: East Coaster Relocating....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gfulcher
Hey All...

It's been a busy past year... self employment, 914 not needing a single screw turned, road trips, and most recently, (as in last week), an engagement to the most remarkable woman I've ever known... But, more change is afoot... Effective this coming Autumn, we are moving from Boston to San Francisco Proper...

I've started looking at real estate, and although there are many options that have garages, the odds are high that I might have to ditch one of my vintage cars - likely the 914 (the VW Thing is still my favorite car), citing space restrictions.

My question is this: are there any of you that know of, or share, industrial garage space - where I could store the 914, parts, tools etc... and have access to wrench?

Also, if anybody knows of any real estate for sale, preferably in the Noe, Cole, Hayes Valley regions, or Pacific Heights / Sunset, Upper Haight - that isn't in excess of say, 850k, I'd be grateful to learn of it!

Anyhow - I look forward to the move, it will enable me to cycle year-round, and the drivin' is fabulous outside of the city!

Thanks in advance,
-greg fulcher
McMark
Welcome!

I know of a place in Napa that will support 4 cars and is $1000 a month. Split four ways that's not too bad. But it's about an hour north of the City.

When is your move?
gfulcher
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 27 2007, 01:42 PM) *

Welcome!

I know of a place in Napa that will support 4 cars and is $1000 a month. Split four ways that's not too bad. But it's about an hour north of the City.

When is your move?

The move is slated for Oct 1.. and garage space in Napa isn't such a bad thing...

thanks,
-greg-
fiid
Personally I live in an area of the city called "Bernal Heights" which is a little out of the way, but a very tight knit community and has slightly cheaper real-estate than the well known parts of the city. If you want to grab breakfast or lunch in my hood sometime I'd be glad to show you around. I can put out a ping on a couple of lists and try and find garage space for you too - although if you're not moving until October - it might be bettter to look closer to the time.

Napa is quite a drive from the city (about an hours drive at the very best of times - could be 2 hours at worst) - youd probably want to do that drive IN the 914 smile.gif.

Chris Pincetich
My buddy bought a house last year in SF, his garage under the house can easily fit 3 cars, and even has a maintenance pit to crawl in to to have easy access under a car. So don't let your new woman talk you out of your 914! Right now it seems we're in a buyers market so look around for the right garage to buy, I mean house, and you might be surpirsed by all the options. Good luck! beerchug.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(gfulcher @ Feb 27 2007, 01:33 PM) *

the odds are high that I might have to ditch one of my vintage cars - likely the 914 (the VW Thing is still my favorite car)

What?! blink.gif Just having fun biggrin.gif . Good luck & congrats thumb3d.gif .

shades.gif
gfulcher
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Feb 27 2007, 03:16 PM) *

So don't let your new woman talk you out of your 914! Right now it seems we're in a buyers market so look around for the right garage to buy, I mean house, and you might be surpirsed by all the options. Good luck! :beer2:

Hey there.. Petra is urging me to keep the car - she f'in LOVES it.. and the first time she drove it, didn't stall, was downshifting into turns and the whole bit - with a poop-eatin' grin on her face all the while.. She adores the Thing, too.. You see, she's 100% German - conceived in Germany, born in the USA...

It's actually ME that's thinking of selling - I'd rather not have the car at all if it means it sits in storage back on the East Coast, or sits on the streets and gets beat to heck... not to mention, it's a good chunk towards a down payment on a home, or at least pay for the move out there.

Lots to think about..

-g

SirAndy
are you guys completely sold on living *in* the city? the city itself is fairly small.
if not, there's plenty of nice areas nearby that might be a bit cheaper and with more garage space ...

beerchug.gif Andy
gfulcher
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 27 2007, 04:42 PM) *

are you guys completely sold on living *in* the city? the city itself is fairly small.
if not, there's plenty of nice areas nearby that might be a bit cheaper and with more garage space ...

beerchug.gif Andy

Yeah - I think so.. We both want to commute by bicycle if at all possible.. I work from home, mostly though - and Petra will be working in the city. In "city", I mean in the county - not necessarily "downtown".

We've looked at a few loft spaces in SoMa / South Beach - no thanks - no real neighborhood there - seems like you go there to live after work.. We're looking for a place with some grit, corner pubs, and a sense of community. We also have a bunch of friends who live in and around the areas I first mentioned.

We've also looked at some Edwardian & Victorians, a few of which had garaged underneath.. Many though are TIC properties or condo-setups, and the garages are shared space. I've personally enjoyed having a remote-located garage back here outside of Boston - a place to go and get outta the house for a day - so I don't mind not having my workshop where I live.

-g

jd74914
QUOTE(gfulcher @ Feb 27 2007, 04:22 PM) *

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Feb 27 2007, 03:16 PM) *

So don't let your new woman talk you out of your 914! Right now it seems we're in a buyers market so look around for the right garage to buy, I mean house, and you might be surpirsed by all the options. Good luck! beerchug.gif

Hey there.. Petra is urging me to keep the car - she f'in LOVES it.. and the first time she drove it, didn't stall, was downshifting into turns and the whole bit - with a poop-eatin' grin on her face all the while.. She adores the Thing, too.. You see, she's 100% German - conceived in Germany, born in the USA...

It's actually ME that's thinking of selling - I'd rather not have the car at all if it means it sits in storage back on the East Coast, or sits on the streets and gets beat to heck... not to mention, it's a good chunk towards a down payment on a home, or at least pay for the move out there.

Lots to think about..

-g

If you do sell I'm sure you won't have a problem getting top dollar. The one time I saw it in Woodstock I thought it was very nice smile.gif

Congrats and best of luck in moving and finding a nice place in Cali beerchug.gif
r_towle
I have a bud that lives in Oakland heights...plenty of fair priced real estate there, 15 min to the city.
Its a down hill bike ride...

I will ask a few buds, and we can chat later this week..

Congrats on the engagement..

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.