Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I keep working on ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
I started to convert the 75 manual to pdf. This is not only scan 'n convert job.
Because I want the pdf looking as good as the original I do a lot of retauration work on the images ...
Has this already be done ?
Is this worth the work ? ... idea.gif

The 9 first pages can be downloaded from here ...
http://johannes.roussel.free.fr/914_1975_manual.pdf
I tried to do a good balance between weight and quality. The whole manual would make about 10 mb

The raw material looks like this ...
cooltimes
QUOTE(johannes @ Feb 27 2007, 01:45 PM) *

I started to convert the 75 manual to pdf. This is not only scan 'n convert job.
Because I want the pdf looking as good as the original I do a lot of retauration work on the images ...
Has this already be done ?
Is this worth the work ? ... idea.gif

The 9 first pages can be downloaded from here ...
I tried to do a good balance between weight and quality. The whole manual would make about 10 mb

The raw material looks like this ...

Johannes, good photo view here in the 914world garage area but the file itself, at the link when clicked, says it is a damaged file.
rmital
...opened fine for me. Photos and color pics look great.

I have lots of the 914 manuals and technical material on pdf formatt. Keep them on the lap top for reference...since I have no mental retention, it's good to have the back up at times.
Rand
Looks great to me. Nice job Johannes! Of course we think it's worth your work!!! laugh.gif Very cool of you to share.
cooltimes

Nice work.
Dave_Darling
I have a PDF that I made of a European 74 owner's manual (in English). It was available on the site for a little while; I am not sure if it still is. (Aaahndy? McMark? Other admins?)

It's big, though--about 75 MB. I chose higher resolution and image quality over saving space.

--DD
johannes
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 27 2007, 10:12 PM) *

I have a PDF that I made of a European 74 owner's manual (in English). It was available on the site for a little while; I am not sure if it still is. (Aaahndy? McMark? Other admins?)
It's big, though--about 75 MB. I chose higher resolution and image quality over saving space.
--DD

Interresting...
I made a search / the tread is here, http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=44274 but the file is not available
Air_Cooled_Nut
I downloaded it and, for ONLY 3MB, it took a little too long. I'd hate to see a larger file...but I'd be more than willing to store the PDF on my web server for all to use smile.gif

Only the first 36 of the 108 pages were visible. The colored section dividers were visible. ???

I think it looks GREAT! Nice contrast, easy to read. I say keep doing it.
johannes
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Feb 28 2007, 04:08 PM) *

I downloaded it and, for ONLY 3MB, it took a little too long. I'd hate to see a larger file...but I'd be more than willing to store the PDF on my web server for all to use smile.gif
Only the first 36 of the 108 pages were visible. The colored section dividers were visible. ???
I think it looks GREAT! Nice contrast, easy to read. I say keep doing it.

Thanx ...

This is work in progress. Today I uploaded the 50 first pages (almost half done) wink.gif .
Yes !... all the color dividers are already done. Theese are not scanned images but redesigned vector graphics. This looks much better and weights nothing.

balljoint
Nice work on the '75, I would love to have the '74 to print and put in the glove-box as some nifty ballast.....DD?
cooltimes
I wonder what the reaction is from those vendors that sell these. I would be concerned since many hang around web sites for potential customers and they might complain to Porsche.

Maybe they should add their comments too since they are reading this according to the index that lets you view what online users are viewing. It should be a 914world rule that if you are looking, you can't be in a hidden/cloaked mode and your name or user tag must be seen to use this site. I mean, What is anyone trying to hide and WHY???
Just my $.02

Beyond that:
This is very good 914 information to see. Thank you for a place to see one without all those prints all over every page. LOL Finally a manual protected from greasy hands and crowded glove boxes. Very educational too for all the 914 owners. I never realized there was such a difference in the owner's manuals until I saw this edition, even though I have owned all years, including the owner's manuals, except for the year 76. Most I have seen looks like it has been thru a car wash too. Must be waterlogged by leaks in those leaking seals that cost so much.
BTW, My 72 (USA) owner's manual only has 88 pages plus a single loose sheet that shows where you can find an authorized dealer in the states.
johannes
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Mar 1 2007, 07:20 AM) *

I wonder what the reaction is from those vendors that sell these. I would be concerned since many hang around web sites for potential customers and they might complain to Porsche.

Those who want to own a new manual can buy one. They aren't expensive. This pdf provides information for people who lost the manual that was delivered with the car, or those who don't want to spoil it with dirty fingerprints.

Update : Almost finished ... only thing missing is the waranty stuff that is not so useful.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 1 2007, 06:47 AM) *

Nice work on the '75, I would love to have the '74 to print and put in the glove-box as some nifty ballast.....DD?

I'll see iffin I can ask our hosts here to make the file available again..

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.