Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Any 944 Cats Out There?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
Hi Gang,

I have some calipers that "may" work with 944 rear rotors. Working off the hunch supplies another round of problems. There's only about 4-5 different 944 rear rotors:

83-86 944
87-89 944
86 944 Turbo
87-88 944S2/Turbo
92-95 968

I can probably rule out the last 3 but the first two are tough calls... does anyone have one of these cars they can take some offset measurements off?

I need the distance from the top of the hat (where the wheel sits) to the middles of the vented rotor (or the top or the bottom, I just need to know what's being measured).

Thanks in advance.

Eric
scotty b
I'll get those to ya tomorow smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Danke Amigo!
jasons
Do you still want mine?
Eric_Shea
Does it fit in that first two category?
jasons
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 28 2007, 08:59 AM) *

Does it fit in that first two category?

Nope. I think the category you want is the 83-86 944 or 86 951, those are early offset cars.

Eric_Shea
The one's I would be looking at have the same rotor thickness as a 70-83 911 disc.
Aaron Cox
that is 20mm thick right?
Eric_Shea
Believe so...
Aaron Cox
whatcha cooking?

did 944's have a 911 style parking brake?
Eric_Shea
I have a set of calipers that have 5mm shaved off them. The PO says the PPO may have used 944 rotors with them. I need to check because, the 5mm off makes for 10mm in the "wrong" direction.

If the 944 rotor offset is correct, it's a bolt on. (oh please, oh please, oh please)
Aaron Cox
5mm off the ears? thats a ton dude
scotty b
Left is a 86 N/A, right one is an 86 Turbo.

N/A face to center of rotor = 2 3/8" turbo = 1 3/16"

N/A rotor thickness = 3/4" turbo = 1 1/16"

Does that help ya?
scotty b
Oh yeah I forgot the turbo rotor in the pic is a front headbang.gif
Aaron Cox
yeah.. 951 front rotors are 28mm thick iirc...

and the rear has the 'flat' area for the drum e brakes too....

Eric_Shea
That does help... it indeed coincides with a caliper that's moved "out" 5mm. Now I'll measure it against a 9leben and see.

Danke Amigo!
scotty b
If you wanna wait I'm going to be uncovering my car this weekend to let it run for a while, and can get a rear turbo rotor measurement for ya.
Eric_Shea
I'd bet the Turbos are thicker hence not for my application. That picture just might do the trick!
Eric_Shea
Oh, oh, oh.... ohmy.gif

How big-o-round are those???

Danke!!
scotty b
Just another thing to note. I put late turbo/968 calipers on an 86 N/A and using 86 TURBO hubs and spindles still had to shave the fronts a bit ( quite possibly the 5mm you mentioned) but had to add a spacer to pull the rears in a tad.
scotty b
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 28 2007, 03:05 PM) *

Oh, oh, oh.... ohmy.gif

How big-o-round are those???

Danke!!

Turbo front = 11 11/16"

N/A rear = 11 5/16"
Eric_Shea
Early 944's it is...

Took me a while but I finally dug out the car and did some cipher'n

Danke Scotty the Cat! You are a "cat" for sure. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.