Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vehicle storage in NAPA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
A friend recently went to NAPA Ca. to purcahse a transporter with a 5 car trailer, witha Lotus 30 in the back.
The person he purchased from is in the following article regarding a wine cave.

PALMAZ: Hearst Castle of the Wine Country
The Xanadu of wine caves
The Palmaz caves are something altogether different. Giant eucalyptus trees herald visitors into the property. This, the Xanadu of wine caves, is something to behold, and will be worth a visit, if you can get in, when it opens sometime in late 2004. "The initial plan, was to make a complete, gravity flow facility underground," says Glen Ragsdale, Palmaz' cave builder, and owner of Ragsdale Underground Associates. The project may have gotten out of hand.

Still, seeing this incredible undertaking is like being inside the Channel while under construction. Palmaz's tunnels are being dug on four intertwined levels, with more than 140 feet between the highest and lowest levels. Palmaz is even constructing a special waste water treatment plant (as demanded by the county) to have a zero water impact on the surrounding community. This future winery, off Hagen Road, is scheduled to open in 2004, and will have 50,000 square feet entirely underground. This $25 million project will hopefully produce superlative wines. The elevator burrowing some 18 stories deep into the bedrock will be the largest (though underground) in all of Napa County.

Palmaz will also house an 8,000-square-foot car museum, complete with over 40 rare racing Porsches, all belonging to winery owner, Dr. Julio Palmaz. "This will add to the ambience," chuckles Glen Ragsdale.

The Dome Room at Palmaz is perhaps its most auspicious engineering feat. The underground space is 55 feet high and 75 feet wide, and holds 24 large fermentation tanks, the upper 12 supported on an amazing, mechanical lazy-susan type device. A computer controlled, gravity feed system drops the grapes gently into the proper tank below. When properly filled, the next tank rotates into place.

CCLIN914NATION
Johny Blackstain
Holy kimshi Batman! drooley.gif Sounds like a cool place to go and visit. driving.gif Will they have a hotel cause I'm guessing w/ all that wine & 40 fine Porsches' it would be best to leave the driving to the un-impared! laugh.gif

shades.gif
Eric_Shea
owner, Dr. Julio Palmaz

Is that what Mark's going by these days? Hmmmm idea.gif
balljoint
I also make wine in my basement. smile.gif

Oh, and I may have enough 914 parts to make up a complete car down there too.
sww914
QUOTE(balljoint @ Feb 28 2007, 08:54 AM) *

I also make wine in my basement. smile.gif

Oh, and I may have enough 914 parts to make up a complete car down there too.

If you have a good targa top seal down there, you're probably richer than the Palmaz dude. biggrin.gif
jgara962
I've seen it from the outside and it looks like quite a project. Dr. Palmaz invented the heart pacemaker or something like that, he has money to burn.
boxstr
Dr. Palmaz perfected the Heart Stent
What is a stent and how is one used?
A stent is a wire metal mesh tube used to prop open an artery during angioplasty. The stent is collapsed to a small diameter and put over a balloon catheter. It's then moved into the area of the blockage. When the balloon is inflated, the stent expands, locks in place and forms a scaffold. This holds the artery open. The stent stays in the artery permanently, holds it open, improves blood flow to the heart muscle and relieves symptoms (usually chest pain). Within a few weeks of the time the stent was placed, the inside lining of the artery (the endothelium) grows over the metal surface of the stent.

CCLIN914NATION
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(boxstr @ Feb 28 2007, 10:07 PM) *

A stent is a wire metal mesh tube used to prop open an artery during angioplasty. The stent is collapsed to a small diameter and put over a balloon catheter. It's then moved into the area of the blockage. When the balloon is inflated, the stent expands, locks in place and forms a scaffold. This holds the artery open. The stent stays in the artery permanently, holds it open, improves blood flow to the heart muscle and relieves symptoms (usually chest pain). Within a few weeks of the time the stent was placed, the inside lining of the artery (the endothelium) grows over the metal surface of the stent.

CCLIN914NATION

I ran audio for that FDA approval meeting. At least 10 years ago. 16 or so Doctors around a table arguing for or against it, with the press watching. Had to show some graphic video & slides on that one. icon8.gif Don't know or remember if he was there.

shades.gif
boxstr
WOW, this really is a small world. Cool stuff Johny.
CCLIN914NATION
Eric_Shea
idea.gif Note to self: Reinvent small version of Chinese finger puzzle to use in blood vessel... make ga-gillions. idea.gif
jgara962
QUOTE(boxstr @ Feb 28 2007, 07:07 PM) *

CCLIN914NATION

That's what it was, the heart stent.

Damn, wish I had thought of inventing that biggrin.gif
PinetreePorsche
I've only driven drunk twice. Once leaving the Amstel brewery in Amsterdam, once leaving the Sandeman bodegas in Porto, Portugal (six mo m c trip around the continent, 1972). Knew I was drunk, just ad to find my way back to the camp site. There were other intoxications in Amsterdam as well, which also made for interesting trips back to the camp....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(boxstr @ Feb 28 2007, 07:07 PM) *

CCLIN914NATION

And then, unfortunately usually reoccludes.
Eric_Shea
I've only driven drunk twice. Once leaving the Amstel brewery in Amsterdam, once leaving the Sandeman bodegas in Porto, Portugal (six mo m c trip around the continent, 1972). Knew I was drunk, just ad to find my way back to the camp site. There were other intoxications in Amsterdam as well, which also made for interesting trips back to the camp....

Alriiiiiiiiiiighty then...

As long as we're coming out of left field and spilling the beans about something that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread:

"I nailed a fat chick once... alright twice but, it was better than the alternative and she was mighty appreciative." wink.gif

(I think ole Pintree's been drinking again drunk.gif ) biggrin.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 1 2007, 11:14 AM) *

Alriiiiiiiiiiighty then...

As long as we're coming out of left field and spilling the beans about something that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread:

"I nailed a fat chick once... alright twice but, it was better than the alternative and she was mighty appreciative." wink.gif

(I think ole Pintree's been drinking again drunk.gif ) biggrin.gif

In Pine Trees' defense I must say I think he was refering to my original posting wine.gif . I however, have never & will never... nail a fat chick or drive a Porsche drunk! biggrin.gif If it's not a Porsche that's another story rolleyes.gif & I'm sure not all the skinny girls I've known are still skinny. av-943.gif I'm not!! smoke.gif
Eric_Shea
(I know... I was just joking. And, you're lying!) biggrin.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 1 2007, 11:44 PM) *

(I know... I was just joking. And, you're lying!) biggrin.gif

Yes, I know & no, I'm not! biggrin.gif I thought I was being funny... should have put a smilie after the wine. shades.gif
Eric_Shea
Are so... w00t.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 2 2007, 09:31 AM) *

Are so... w00t.gif

am not... alfred.gif

smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.