Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.2liter conversion oil amount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cruzing
How many quarts of oil does it take to fill system??

see below......

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
Eric_Shea
9-10 usually but it depends:

Stock tank?
Front cooler?
Cruzing
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 28 2007, 01:09 PM) *

9-10 usually but it depends:

Stock tank?
Front cooler?

Thank you, I no the depend part, but that will be a close enough bench mark to start with...

thank you for your quick response..
sww914
If I don't know, I start with 8, check it after it starts, add another one if it's not touching the stick, add another 1/2 at a time until it's just touching the stick, and then drive it until it's warm and check it as usual.
Cruzing
QUOTE(sww914 @ Feb 28 2007, 01:32 PM) *

If I don't know, I start with 8, check it after it starts, add another one if it's not touching the stick, add another 1/2 at a time until it's just touching the stick, and then drive it until it's warm and check it as usual.

Cool, I was wondering the method... I have a problem, what is happing is not what you described.. I was not sure, but you have shown the light, thank you for your insight of what should be a normal check your oil stick deal..

School of Dummy-hood...yours truley smile.gif

Cause of problem:
While I was boiling out my oil tank, the radiator shop forum dropped a quick question, DO YOU WANT TO SEAL IT, IT LOOKS LIKE IT NEEDS IT!!
I said a off the top of my head, quick answer back. It was a very, very, very, very wrong answer: "YES seal it"

Now class, what problem was caused by my hasty, quick thinking I am going to take care of, "for sure" a maybe down the road leaky oil tank problems... well it does not leak... thats good I guess...

The oil tank, after sealing was clear of obstructions at hose outlets and inlets, they all checked out fine... no loose dubree anywhere

lets have some fun with it anyway...smile.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
brant
I thought this was a running conversion already?
Cruzing
well yes it is,
the oil flow is my problem, because of the sealing of the oil tank the epoxy closed up some of the wire mesh holes in the screen. Causing a restriction of oil flow too the bottom of the oil tank. With this restriction, the oil level builds up on top and starts to overflow into my air cleaner via the vent hose.
I did not starve the motor for oil, but now I maybe looking for a replacement tank, I have not inquired yet to the radiator shop for reboiling and cleaning out the epoxy sealer yet, but with my luck, there may be a problem.. do not know yet??
another option is to snip a slot into the mesh screen adding more openings for volume & flow.. then boil out the tank again..well that is the answer, I think.. smile.gif
whats your thoughts.
I really notice the heavey feel in the rear of the car. I liked it, The extra wieght of the 6 makes it feel more solid to me. although I have not romped it yet.
lov me 914/6
brant
If you end up switching tanks.... please let me know. I'd buy it from you.

I want to cut open a stock tank but have never been able to fine the proper donor....

I don't have any real advice for you
but be VERY careful that you don't damage that brand new motor, over an oil starvation issue. Its certainly not worth risking a $5,000 motor over a $500 tank

brant
Eric_Shea
whats your thoughts.

Dremel with flex-neck adapter. Small burr bit. Mirror. Enjoy your afternoon.

Take it back for a (free) flush afterward.
jd74914
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 28 2007, 11:42 PM) *

If you end up switching tanks.... please let me know. I'd buy it from you.

I want to cut open a stock tank but have never been able to fine the proper donor....

I don't have any real advice for you
but be VERY careful that you don't damage that brand new motor, over an oil starvation issue. Its certainly not worth risking a $5,000 motor over a $500 tank

brant

If you ever get to please post some pictures Brant. I want to weld together a tank that is factory-like (as I'm too poor to buy a real one), but have never seen the inside of a real one. smile.gif
Cruzing
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 28 2007, 08:51 PM) *

whats your thoughts.

Dremel with flex-neck adapter. Small burr bit. Mirror. Enjoy your afternoon.

Take it back for a (free) flush afterward.

Yeah that is what I was thinking also, a very good afternoon, not counting the R&R,
It's so weird how the small stuff can really bite ya, recoverable though, no engine damage is the good side.. smile.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 28 2007, 08:59 PM) *

I want to weld together a tank that is factory-like (as I'm too poor to buy a real one), but have never seen the inside of a real one. smile.gif

Before the great division of the 914 Universe into active and passive principals, the factory fabrication drawing of the oil tank was posted. I'm not gonna look for it but you can. Maybe it was on PP ..... hmmmmmmm
Eric_Shea
Cruzing... can you take that damn varmint out of your signature? confused24.gif

Ron... yours is tollerable. I still think you guys should have run him over when you had the chance. dry.gif
Cruzing
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 1 2007, 08:41 PM) *

Cruzing... can you take that damn varmint out of your signature? confused24.gif

Ron... yours is tollerable. I still think you guys should have run him over when you had the chance. dry.gif

if ya can catch me... bootyshake.gif bootyshake.gif bootyshake.gif bootyshake.gif

I thought about letting this thread dye. but some else out there may find it useful.

That morning before I started the car. I checked the dip stick. It was dry. soo..
I added 3 quarts and it read i/2 a stick. ok.. smile.gif drove away. Parked with smoke coming off the headers and oil gushing down on the ground. pulled the cap and oil gushed out.. wrong way to check oil on a 911 system.

Warm the car up, oil level will settle down. check at idle, oil should read about 1/4" off the bottom of the stick..

Now there is no more oil gushing anywhere. Oil tank is fine. I custom made the stick soo I was worried alittle toooo much.

Thanks too all who showed me the light.
When Volker found out. well if you know any German's. His response stared with a glance upward and a roll of his eye's and ,,, ahh then let me have it... smile.gif

welcome to my wold of Dummy

Later.. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.