Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: who would have thought...check your tire pressure and save the world?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Schump
I just heard this on the radio tonight (while i was polishing my r 914 bumper, soon 4 sale) The DJ said that if everyone in America had their tires inflated to the correct pressure, we would save two BILLION gallons of gas per year.
That is kind of a lot. Wonder if Mobil has a conspiracy with tire gauge manufacturers to make them read high? poke.gif
I mean, I keep an eye on my tires but makes me think i should check their pressures every other fill up.
woobn8r
Car tires lose a pound of pressure every month....and another pound for every 10 degrees drop in temperature....

You'd also be surprised at how many leaky valves there are and dirty/corroded wheel/rim flanges that also add to the loss of correct inflation pressure.

Joe Ricard
Yup, this is one of my pet peeves SUV's with 20 pounds of air in the tires cruising down the interstate. Accident waiting for an opportunity
jd74914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 1 2007, 10:30 AM) *

Yup, this is one of my pet peeves SUV's with 20 pounds of air in the tires cruising down the interstate. Accident waiting for an opportunity

I hate that. I just can't stand when people have their tires deflated so much that they look like they should be running on some sand dunes.
woobn8r
Tires deflated that much flex too much and create an abnormal amount of heat....
this in turn causes the tire to self destruct from the inside out...aka Ford explorer blow outs and resulting lack of handling

The quickest way to wreck a tire is to run it underinflated/overloaded...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.