Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how much are boxster's going for?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
how much is a drivable boxster going for these days?
type47
i've seen a couple in the local paper (Washington, DC) for $16k. probably 97 models
jd74914
I've seen them as low as 13K for pretty nice driving '97 models
bd1308
intresting....
cobra94563
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/car/286558454.html

here's a 2000 "S" w/ 60k mi for 23k

I guess that is average confused24.gif

(Kind of puts into perspective how much I want to put into the the car.. unsure.gif )
Joe Bob
sheeplove.gif Does it come with factory matching shoes, panties, dress and handbag? sheeplove.gif
boxstr
1997 Salvage 986 here in Porltand for $7900. Needs top(slashed rear window),engine lid and rear finish panel by the rear trunk lid.
CCLIN914NATION
Aaron Cox
does it come in a masculine model?
McMark
Masculine? For this guy? IPB Image

confused24.gif
DanT
ask all the 911 drivers being handed their butts by the Boxster drivers at AXs and TTs how masculine the Boxster is. dry.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Mar 1 2007, 09:34 AM) *

ask all the 911 drivers being handed their butts by the Boxster drivers at AXs and TTs how masculine the Boxster is. dry.gif

someone got some sand in their.... got their feelings hurt biggrin.gif

its all good. i know they rock... just a little girly in the sound and looks department.
got a mean sounding boxster? never heard one growl... they seem to 'purr' instead
Demick
When they were brand new and just starting to show up at autocrosses, we used to say that they sounded like a vacuum cleaner.

But one look at Bill P's "Lucille" (spec Boxster) and you'll change your mind that all Boxters are girly.
Brando
I see one idling and ask the owner "is it on???"

Get rid of that 'muffler' in back and i'm sure it could make some noise.
pbanders
I just bought one recently, a very clean '03 non-S with Tip, 30K miles, factory warranty through the end of the year. I also have a '98 M3 sedan (manual 5-speed) in addition to the Boxster and the 914. Oh, and an '04 Sienna XLE Limited, but I doubt anyone is very interested in it...

The Boxster is extremely fun to drive. Handling is really excellent, like my 914 but without the harsh ride. Interior features are somewhat sparse but are decent. Front and rear trunk space is good. While my wife can drive a manual fine, I got Tip because I knew she'd like it and drive the car more. I find a really like the Tip for city driving, and when you put it in manual mode and stick your foot in it, it's quite sporty. Wind noise at 70 mph with the top down, windows up, and wind deflectors in place is amazingly low, especially compared to my 914 with the roof out and windows up.

It does have a pretty pukey sound, until you really get your foot in it and get above 4K, especially compared to my M3 which sounds absolutely great at all engine speeds. I hear you can "desnorkel" the intake to improve the situation, something I probably won't do. As far as engine performance, my base '03 Boxster with Tip is a pussycat compared to my E36 M3 manual, but I'm pretty sure any manual S model from '03 onward is a real tiger. The '07 S with the 3.4 sounds like a really super performer, but seems quite expensive once you option it out. I did a "build your own" at the Porsche site today, and got to near $70K with just a few options.

If you love your 914, you'll probably love a Boxster. Right now I'm keeping both, but I can see moving to an '07 Boxster S in a few years, after prices drop.

Oh, and one more thing - this is the first car I've ever owned that my wife is really interested in. It's black, and my neighbors (who have some pretty nice cars, too) are all drooling over it. If you like for your car to attract attention, a Boxster is a good candidate.
DanT
ever hear Dr. Chris Murrays highway patrol Boxster at full song..?
that will change your mind about how they sound.
yep, 3.4L '99 996 motor
has less to do with the motor and a whole lot more to do with the exhaust.
Mueller
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Mar 1 2007, 10:11 AM) *

ever hear Dr. Chris Murrays highway patrol Boxster at full song..?
that will change your mind about how they sound.

doesn't he have a "built" 996 motor in it now??

The original "S" motor of his is going into a 914 (I injured my back lifting up the damn thing...luckly I have AFLAC which cut me a nice check, which I am sure I spent on the 914 )
IronHillRestorations
I love my '00 non S with Tip. I call the Boxster the new 914. Call it whatever you want, I don't care, but as a 914'er since '78 (a time when many 986 critics here were still requiring undergarment changes by a 3rd party biggrin.gif ), I feel I may have a resonably qualified perspective. After all a 914 was my only car from '78 to '90.

The Boxster has great handling, great heat & air (including great defrosters in damp weather), not as much trunk space as a '14 but still better than a tail dragger, eats rear tires though (10-12k miles is all I can get). The more I live with the Boxster the more 914'ish it seems. Yes it may not hold value as well as an aircooled Porsche, but that's only if you plan to sell. Which by the way Britt you can have mine for $25k, with a tick over 30k miles, new rear tires, sport package, 17's, always garaged, and lots of other goodies. Yes, I know it's more than the going rate, but I really don't want to sell!

The answer to your question is that you can probably find a decent Boxster for a fair price right now. I wouldn't get anything less than a 2000 though, and of course get the newest, lowest mileage car you can afford. If I can ever make it to a Bluegrass event you are welcome to take mine for a drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.