Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914World Contest: Our New Homepage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
Good morning, everyone!

Our home page is often the first page that new members will see when they visit us! We want to make it a great first impression.

Beginning today, 914World is having a contest to design our new homepage! If you're good with creating webpages, graphics, etc... this might be for you.

The winner, to be chosen by 914World members vote, will receive a reproduction poster of the 1970 Marathon de la Route in Nurburgring, featuring a 914-6GT. Also, the winner will receive 25 dollars towards framing of their choice.

Below is a picture of a similar poster (borrowed from Armando Serrano's website).

Guidelines:
1. The page must contain the existing 914-O-World logo. You may color or texture the logo to match your theme.
2. Collaboration is allowed and encouraged. You may show off your page at anytime prior to voting.
3. If you want to go crazy, here's the capabilities we've got: HTML/DHMTL, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, ASP. The home page does not access any databases.
4. We ask that you host your submission on your own site (or on any free site).
5. The page must include links to the following areas:
-> Registration
-> Forums
-> Classifieds
-> Events
-> Latest News
6. Your pages & graphics remain your own, but if selected as a winner, you extend to 914World the right to use and modify a copy as our home page. (Some minor tweaking may be necessary to allow a smooth interface with the rest of the site.)
7. Once you have a home-page prepared, reply to me via PM or post to this thread with your link!

A poll will be opened from 23-26 March, and will close at 11:59pm (Central) on March 26th. During judging & voting, we will ask members to choose the best page based on: style, originality, load speed, and functionality.

Good luck!
Rusty smoke.gif

IPB Image
SirAndy
i've got one ... biggrin.gif

So.Cal.914
A bit over dressed, but that will work.
dagdal1967
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 1 2007, 11:57 AM) *

i've got one ... biggrin.gif

new_shocked.gif
Im offended!

aaron.gif
Eric_Shea
Thanks for playing everyone...

Congratulations Andy. Where shall we send the poster? biggrin.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 1 2007, 11:44 AM) *

Thanks for playing everyone...

Congratulations Andy. Where shall we send the poster? biggrin.gif

you hadn't even seen mine yet happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

It's a work in progress...........biggrin.gif

I jazzed it up a bit
Eric_Shea
Greg wins!
GWN7
I don't know....I like Andys better........but Greg get's a ataboy for the crayon usage....his looks like Z's first sticker smile.gif
TROJANMAN
Can I get a poster of Andy's submission as my prize? laugh.gif
TravisNeff
Hillarious laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
Can I get a poster of Andy's submission as my prize?

If you explain what you mean with each of the phrases on your design wink.gif
Brew
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Mar 1 2007, 11:47 AM) *

you hadn't even seen mine yet happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

It's a work in progress...........biggrin.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
balljoint
chairfall.gif

Nice work so far, but I bet there will be a few more worthy entries to come.

Besides..... Gregor's is 100% plagiarized from the FIAT X 1/9 site. smile.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 1 2007, 01:50 PM) *

Can I get a poster of Andy's submission as my prize?

If you explain what you mean with each of the phrases on your design wink.gif

I will try, but please understand that I am an R-Teest, and not a diplomat, so some of what I feel and convey on canvas may not translate to words so well. Plus, you use the word 'phrases', and I prefer 'expressions'.
I sometimes find it difficult to communicate how or why a thought or image is first conceived in my head, and how that translates through the medium of my choice. But I'll give it a shot. Let me finish this stuff Ron sent me first smoke.gif, and I'll get back to you.............

I want you to understand, not because It is important that you appreciate what i have shown you, but because I REALLY want that poster. I will use Beyonce as my muse. wub.gif
Betty
"i've got one ... biggrin.gif "

Oh, I, am, SOOOOO going to submit an entry!!!!! heh, heh, heh.....

happy11.gif cool_shades.gif laugh.gif av-943.gif bootyshake.gif driving-girl.gif poke.gif chairfall.gif
BigDBass
Why am I afraid it's a high res version of Z's butt portrait?
Eric_Shea

Please... no sexy pics of Shorty on the beach. barf.gif
Betty
Wait, wait... let me get a pen. I'm writing this all down! happy11.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 1 2007, 01:53 PM) *

I didn't know that Clay ever went to the beach. The kids could bury him with one small plastic shovel full.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 1 2007, 03:09 PM) *

I didn't know that Clay ever went to the beach. The kids could bury him with one small plastic shovel full.

chairfall.gif

someone put me back in my chair :rofl:
SirAndy
QDS = quick & dirty & simple cool_shades.gif

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 1 2007, 05:09 PM) *

That's better than what happens to you...

(all the local cats get together and try to bury Slits in the sand).

balljoint
biggrin.gif okay where's the popcorn. chairfall.gif
ClayPerrine
Here is my submission...

914 World Page

It is quick, simple and not perfected. I am not a web designer....

Betty
Ok guys, quick and not as dirty as I wanted... happy11.gif

Click to view attachment
siverson
Here is mine:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showforum=2

I know it's not flashy, but I think that would by FAR be the best home page for the site. This site is all about the garage forum, and you want to let people know what it's about and let them in as quickly as possible.

The current style of homepage doesn't make it clear how popular and great the forum is - or even that the site's primary benefit is a forum. I bet many people find the homepage but never find "The Garage".

-Steve
cooltimes
Changed my mind and deleted my entry.

Dr. Roger
=)

Rusty
I'm almost afraid to bump this back to the top... lol2.gif
cooltimes
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Mar 4 2007, 11:52 AM) *

I'm almost afraid to bump this back to the top... lol2.gif

Well, why not?
I would never believe you were afraid to do anything you wanted to do Rusty.
Bump it again for me even though I deleted my entry because I decided to keep my family styled 914 art from my photography all my own.

Twystd1
UUUUhhh...

GREEN...!!!!!!

What did I win?

Twystd1
grantsfo
Here's mine - note world logo use.

http://www.mfa.gov.al/english/
Rusty
I believe the idea is to submit your *own* work... maybe something like the buttpirateracing site, if you designed that... lol2.gif
Twystd1
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Mar 10 2007, 05:43 PM) *

I believe the idea is to submit your *own* work... maybe something like the buttpirateracing site, if you designed that...

Rusty,
Your not supposed to post Howard's personal URL here...

You have been warned.

Twystd1

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Mar 10 2007, 06:14 PM) *

FYI buttpirateracing.com appears to be an open domain if you and Howard would like to share it. biggrin.gif

im sure howard will get ON TOP of that.
So.Cal.914
I did the best I could in an hour, but you'll get the idea.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 10 2007, 08:40 PM) *

I did the best I could in an hour, but you'll get the idea.

that one i like!
piratenanner.gif Andy
jimtab
Well, since I have zero computer skills and I already have the poster.....I hereby concede the contest....drinkee time..... beerchug.gif popcorn[1].gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Since I have negative(-) value computer skills, I'll just make the verbal w/visual aide suggestion.....use Paul's concept w/914 WORLD logo as seen on the rear of a 914 but add the various 914 badges, to wit....2.0, 1.8, 1.7, -6 and this photo......
spunone
Now This is some funny shit .....Thanks
Rusty
I have a submission for the contest.

Click Here!

(The graphics need some clean-up.)
johnlush
Here are a couple of concepts. Both inspired by Porsche poster art of the 60's and 70's. Neither are "web-ready". I have some background in design but -zero- web skilz so I'm not sure what it would take to make them functional.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
1970 Neun vierzehn
John's "poster" concept..... clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
736conver
QUOTE(siverson @ Mar 1 2007, 11:40 PM) *

Here is mine:

I know it's not flashy, but I think that would by FAR be the best home page for the site. This site is all about the garage forum, and you want to let people know what it's about and let them in as quickly as possible.

The current style of homepage doesn't make it clear how popular and great the forum is - or even that the site's primary benefit is a forum. I bet many people find the homepage but never find "The Garage".

-Steve

I have to agree. You really dont know whats buried under the home page and I bet alot of people who come to the site for the first time dont see these benefits
Gint
QUOTE(736conver @ Mar 14 2007, 11:02 AM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Mar 1 2007, 11:40 PM) *

Here is mine:

-Steve

I have to agree. You really dont know whats buried under the home page and I bet alot of people who come to the site for the first time dont see these benefits

While I agree with both of you in concept, the home oage needs to be something besides just one of the forums (even if it is the garage forum).

I like johnlush's vintage poster concept. Only it could/should do more to emphasize the garage and classified forums as they are the heart and soul of the site. Something like, "The most active 914 tech and classified forums on the web."
cooltimes
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Mar 13 2007, 03:38 AM) *

I have a submission for the contest.

Click Here!

(The graphics need some clean-up.)

MY opinion doesn't mean anything but this is the one that works. Rusty's. It's simple, , pretty elegant, loads instantly, is not trying to be sex appealing and has the right buttons to go to all the areas of what makes this really a 914world.
John's is good too but the part about members owned sort of made me scratch my head as someone looking at that may think that each of us own a part of the site and that is not true. What we type is only ours. Beyond these, it's not anything new.
This is only my opinion but most times opinions are what keeps any of the site visible.
johnlush
The verbiage about the "member-owned....." is basically the Mission Statement that I pulled verbatim. It could sure be something else that, like Gint suggests, would tout other "virtues".

Simple is good. I detest sites that you go to that make you wait through a 30 second multi-media barage before letting you in. On the other hand, having something pleasing to the eye is a nice way to welcome people into "our garage". There is tons of talent on this list, I'm sure something good will come of it!
Dr. Roger
Lawrence,

Nice, neat and simple.

A sleeper site with fast download times. What a concept.
Rusty
A poll will be opened from 23-26 March, and will close at 11:59pm (Central) on March 26th. During judging & voting, we will ask members to choose the best page based on: style, originality, load speed, and functionality.

My apology for the delay in putting the poll up. I've been out of town due to a family member passing on.

I'll get the voting together tonight... have the poll up tomorrow morning.

We can run it from 24-27 March, to allow participants who access the board at home and at work to vote!

kind regards,
Rusty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.