Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Road trip to Austin from NYC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
Heading down to Austin not this weekend but the next. Giving myself 3 days to get there so I am up to any interesting spots. Especialy honky tonks with bikers and fist fights!. LOL

But yeah any cool roads and places I should see?
ChrisFoley
What happened to that road trip to Manchester, lol? poke.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 1 2007, 10:02 AM) *

What happened to that road trip to Manchester, lol? poke.gif

Salt and snow. I know it's bad. When I was up there for your open house I really wanted to leave it then. Right now it's not starting so I may have to get a truck and tow it.

Besides you don't have a sexy redhead waiting for me now do you piratenanner.gif
ClayPerrine
come through DFW and I will feed you and we can check your 914 for problems.

If you wait until April, you can make the Talamena run with us!

type47
welcome to the Washington, DC area. i'd be glad to be a contact within 40 miles of DC. if your route includes Rt 95, Rt 495, Rt 66 or the DC area, avoid rush "hour" to save the clutch.
turboman808
No 914 on this trip. I haven't taken it to uh Chris yet so he can fix it.

Route 66 from washington would be cool though.

I'm leaving next saturday early in the morning. I would like to stop in Nashville to party with some friends along the way.

Got to break this thing in already
IPB Image
ptravnic
Cool new car Nate! I've got a road trip of my own planned. Heading out to LA & San Fran w/stops in South Bend IN (Notre Dame), Chicago, Lincoln NE, Denver, Winter Park CO, Salt Lake, Vegas, LA, and San Fran. I'm giving myself about a month as a reward for finishing my b-school applications.

Looking fwd to hearing about your odyssey!

-pt
rick 918-S
Z07 Engine swap.... drooley.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 1 2007, 03:21 PM) *

welcome to the Washington, DC area. i'd be glad to be a contact within 40 miles of DC. if your route includes Rt 95, Rt 495, Rt 66 or the DC area, avoid rush "hour" to save the clutch.

If you are going towards Austin TX, start heading west right out of New York. Do yourself a favor, and don't get any where near the Philly, Baltimore, DC corridor on 95. You may miss the rush on one, but you will hit it on the others, and then it is the suck.

Rt US81 is always a pretty drive. It will route you away from the hell that is the above corridore and traffic. It will put you parellel to Skyline Drive though the Shenendoahs in VA (and it is totally worth taking the Skyline Drive detour, though it will add a few miles to your trip). US 81 is a long damn road, taking you roughly in the direction that you want to go.

Check out "Natural Bridge" in SW Virginia (right off 81) It is freak'n amazing. George Washington "found" it while he was working as a surveyer before the revolution. He carved his initials into the rock, and they are still there.

Depending on what route you take, going to see Fort Mountian (Fort Mountian State park) in Nw Georgia is pretty cool too. It is a stone wall that indian legend say was built by "white gods" long before columbus. Probably Vikings, but no one knows for sure.

If you have never been, Harpers Ferry is worth seeing, and is only a short drive from 81 in Maryland.

And of course there are about 914 civil war battlefields (including Gettysburg and Antietam) not very far from your route.

Zach
turboman808
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Mar 1 2007, 04:17 PM) *

Cool new car Nate! I've got a road trip of my own planned. Heading out to LA & San Fran w/stops in South Bend IN (Notre Dame), Chicago, Lincoln NE, Denver, Winter Park CO, Salt Lake, Vegas, LA, and San Fran. I'm giving myself about a month as a reward for finishing my b-school applications.

Looking fwd to hearing about your odyssey!

-pt

That sounds really cool!

Yeah I hope I have fun. Mostly looking forward to seeing my friend. One fine as woman that I let go like an idiot... headbang.gif
drewvw

sounds like a cool trip nate...you think your going to head down the coast or cut in a bit and then work your way down?
PinetreePorsche
So you're driving the Pontiac--not too shabby. Since I don't know anyone who's driven one,: how do you compare it to the 914 (depending on motor, of course--but especially the road-handling)? (And do you think it would be fun to drive in 35 years?) Oh, yeah--and how's the gas mileage?
Too bad about the March weather--would be a better trip in May, maybe. Then you'd have to take 2 weeks to see the best stuff along the way. Have a ball. I took my '57 T-Bird from Boston to Seattle for the summer in '69, and found a young woman to ride much of the road back, with a detour as far south as Los Angeles. Wonder where she is....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.