Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog Lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
martinef1963
I took my fog lights apart to have them cleaned, powder coated, new lens, etc....

Now that I have them back I can't figure how to put them back together and I can't find any diagrams, any one out there have a diagram, or point me out in the right direction?

I have the round original fog light, I have a 72.

thanks,
Pat Garvey
Do ou still have the odd-shaped springs (modified V-shaped) that hold them together?
Eric_Shea
not sure if these help but...
Eric_Shea
I had another person ask for the same advice in a PM. I figured I'd post the answer he so everyone can benefit:

1. Count your springs then divide by two (one pile for each light)
2. Put the gasket around the new lens.
3. Check the lens and the trim ring for alignment markings at the top and drop the lens in the trim ring.
4. Again check for alignment markings and lay the reflector assembly over the glass. (see notch in the above picture)
5. By this time you should have; Trim Ring then glass then reflector. Now install the springs in an even fashion around the assembly, you should have enough so as they would actually overlap. Start by slipping the short end under the lip on the ring with the V and notch resting on the reflector pushing it (the reflector) on to the glass and gasket. Next push the long end of the spring down and back under the lip of the trim ring. Repeat and go all the way around the assembly. Again, You may find yourself overlapping.
6. The small square springs attach to the housing and help the now completed ring assembly snap to the housing. (lower right corner of the picture).

Hope that helps.

Eric

P.S. Forgot... make sure those connectors and the brass ground strap in the first picture are clean. If you powdercoated, make sure it's all been removed from those.
martinef1963
A big THANKS to Eric Shea for his explanation on putting together fog lights, now I have misplaced the "V" springs that hold the bulb housing to the reflective housing.

Anyone out there have two (2) for sale?

Any help would be appreciated.

Fernando
Eric_Shea
My pleasure...

You'll need more than two if you've misplaced the springs. 5-6 or more per light.
martinef1963
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 6 2007, 11:12 AM) *

My pleasure...

You'll need more than two if you've misplaced the springs. 5-6 or more per light.

The "V" shaped springs, one per fog light is the spring that holds the bulb housing to the reflector housing from the rear.

I've already assempled, per your instructions - Fog Light Rebuild for IDIOT... beer.gif

If you or any other member has two to spare they will be much appreciated.

I will post in the WTB forum.

Thanks,

Fernando
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 1 2007, 10:34 PM) *

not sure if these help but...

Eric,

You should be ashamed!

You taunt us with those chromed housings, knowing full well that they can never be seen on a 914, unless you bulldog them out the front. Those are for thru-the-grill 911 types.

They're bling, they're retro, they're.....slick!

Do you have neck chains for those?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 6 2007, 11:12 AM) *

My pleasure...

Eric,

He means the "U" shaped spring clamp that hold the bulb recepatcle in place. I only know this from his PM's!

Interesting though, speaking of the "V" shaped springs. My factories have 5 on each light. Have 4 others that only have four on each light. I think 5 is correct & balanced. Think 6 would butt against each other.

Regardless, I think I have some spare "U"'s for him, since on set is total junk.

Pat
Eric_Shea
Eric,

You should be ashamed!

You taunt us with those chromed housings, knowing full well that they can never be seen on a 914, unless you bulldog them out the front. Those are for thru-the-grill 911 types.

They're bling, they're retro, they're.....slick!

Do you have neck chains for those?

Those are 914 housings that I will be using on the front of my 911 (don't tell the wine and cheesers). They chrome up nice. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.