Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This is WOT: Getting goodies to Iraq
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
I understand that there are a lot of people who disagree with the war. This is nor meant to be anything but a plea for help, in order to get some fresh goodies to the troops. Disagree w/the war all you like, but we have citizens in harms way who could use a little break.

I have about $5k of leftover V-Day candy that is still fresh, and will be thrown away soon. That's a LOT of chocolate & sweets that our folks in harms way cab't have.

Problem is, its about 12 HUGE boxes (donated by Walgreens). Not inexpensive to get to the troops. I have a particular Apache helicopter group in mind. Willing to get this stuff to anyone for a treat from home.

Have no idea what it'd take to get it to them, but I do know it's not cheap. I also know it's worth the effort & will do so on my own if necessary.

Anyone care to help?

Note to the admins: if you feel this is too far off topic, and wish to bloc, I'll understand.

PM me if interested in helping.

Thanks!!!
Pat
eric914
Do you have a way for us to donate some $. Regardless of what US citizens think of the war the kids over there have volunteered to defend our country and they deserve our support, even if it is only in a small way.
xperu
I was in Iraq last year and I can tell you that it is hot, dusty and lonely for family and home. The hair on the back of your neck stands up on a reglular bases. Those men and women deserve every cosideration, People such as yourself who think of such an honerable thought will get my support. Please let me know how I can help you.
Rusty
icon_bump.gif
bernbomb914
Thru our local Real Estate MLS we support the Cody fund. we raise monies to pay for the shipping of all kinds of things that the troops need, tube socks , hotel toletries(small) magizines candy etc. If you can get the candies to me I will see that they get to the troops in Irag.

Bernie Thomas
29740 Valle Verde Temecula CA 92591
So.Cal.914
Thats very cool Pat, Happy Birthday by the way.
vanaman
how chocolat and other candy react to the temp in iraq?

steve
Pat Garvey
The candy I mentioned earlier is leftover candy from a local store of a major drug retail company. Seems the district manager got wind of the idea to get it to the troops & decided that all the stores in his district have as much or more than the local store. He has taken over the chore of rounding it all up for shipment to Iraq - my guess would be about $50k retail value.

So, the ball is in their court. Makes sense actually. Good promo & tax deductibility for them. Plus, he gets to be the hero. OK with me, so long as it gets to the troops.

I'll let you know what I hear, but it's already been picked up for consolidation.
shelby/914
Over the last three years we have sent a lot af small packages to Iraq Friends of our kids and kids of our friends. Mostly junk food, candy, jerky, drink mixes and wet ones, never chocolate. It actually seems to somewhat expensive by USPO. Seems like they are charging all the way there and not just to an APO/FPO like back in the day. Most small boxes less than shoe box size are $8-10. So large boxes are going to cost a lot. Be glad to donate if you get a paypal account set up. Also is anyone here affiliated with one of the airlines flying into Iraq. It would be good PR for them to donate a little available space. Another source might be a NG or USAF unit that is flying resupply missions. It would be good if you could find some one who can cut through the red tape, like customs forms,etc. etc. Also lets not forget the guys and gals in Afganistan. flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.