Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT:That’s a McLaren Mercedes-Benz Formula 1 car!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I was driving home today and I noticed the new liquor store that has been going up for the last months is having its grand opening. I’m driving by at about 50 mph and notice they have an open wheel racecar sitting out front. So I’m thinking it an IRL car or a Champ car on display. So I debated with myself weather I should turn around and have a look at it. I haven’t been up-close and personal to a car like that in awhile. I do a u-turn and pull into the parking lot, grab my digital camera and walk over to it. As I walking up to it I see the silver and black colors and the treaded tires and I say to myself, Holy $hit! That’s a McLaren Mercedes-Benz Formula 1 car!

This is Juan Pablo Montoya’s car from last year. It is the only F-1 car currently on tour in the US according to the flunky taking care of it. It is sponsored by Johnny Walker so that is the tie in to the liquor store opening. This IS the actual car minus the engine and a few other pieces. It has a few battle scares on it. The guy said the value of it is $13 million!!!

I posted the pictures on PP Off Topic. It took me 30 minutes to load the pictures...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=333224
Crazyhippy
Didja ask what it weighed? LOL

BJH
Twystd1
Superb pictures.

Can't thank you enough for these pics.

I can spend hours simply trying to understand exactly how each part of the aero design functions. Truly amazing technology.

Thanks so much Ury.

Clayton
URY914
Clayton,

I have more. I took 78 pictures of it. biggrin.gif
SGB
Great pics. I saw them race in Montreal. There was a BMW event that had some of those wheel and tire assemblies one could pick up. I expected it to be light but it was freaking increadibly light- lighter than titanium even, and the tires are just thin balloons. The whole thing was lighter than my bike tire I swear. Geat pics. Look at the krazy air deflector and control devices. It is increadably advanced, but in some ways remind me of early airplane design.
Elliot Cannon
Is it me or do the front tires look over inflated?
Elliot
Heeltoe914
Great detail pic. Thanks man. What kind of camara are you shooting with?
URY914
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Mar 2 2007, 10:18 AM) *

Great detail pic. Thanks man. What kind of camara are you shooting with?

It's a HP Photosmart M627 7.0 megapixels. I would like to thank the company I work for for providing me with this fine tool. I have used it quite a bit, 95% of the time for personel photos. biggrin.gif
URY914
On second thought...

I've been studying the photos and I have some doubts. When he removed the nose, there were no pedals at all. No brackets, bulkhead, supports, nothing. The inside of the tub was empty. And the suspension struts that tie back to the tub were attched with 1/2" bolts. They seemed too small. Also, there was no reinforcements to the tub in these areas. Not only no pedals but no lines, wires, cable or wire supports, mounting tabs, etc. Even the high tech steering wheel had no wires running to it.

This picture was taken with the camera sitting just under the steering rack. Something just ain't right here...

So.Cal.914
Thats Bitchin, but I still like my Benz better...it's paid for.
effutuo101
Great Pictures! The company I work for pay's for advertisement on a F1 car. It costs bank for about 2x4 or 3x6 inch space.
Borderline
Paul: great photos! Thanks for posting. I love to see the latest technology!
DerekKim
Wow that is sexy. Think you could AX that?
Twystd1
Paul,

Do you have a link to somewhere where you stash the rest of these pics?

I would really enjoy perusing them if possible.

Clayton
autohausdolby
They make entire cars for display at motorshows and stuff - maybe it's one of them? They're expensive but nothing compared to the cost of the proper cars. Even the rubber of the tyres has sensors in it now (or so I'm told - I'm no F1 expert).

Next time I go to the F1 exhibition at Donnington park I'll try and get some photos for you guys if you like that sort of thing. It's the biggest collection of open wheel cars in the world apparently. They've got one of pretty much every McLaren and BRM amongst other things.

http://www.doningtoncollection.com/
Gustl
really cool pics thumb3d.gif clap56.gif

I have some from the Reb Bull Racing Team - F1 car from the 2005 season

drivers were:
David Coulthard
Christian Klien
Vitantonio Liuzzi

the car was displayed at an oldtimer fair in Salzburg (Austria)

Gustl
and here's the info sign next to the car:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.