Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - computer people: Do use WS_FTP?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drewvw

Wondering if anybody uses WS_FTP, What's Up Networking Monitoring, IMail Server, etc?

SirAndy
QUOTE(drewvw @ Mar 1 2007, 07:44 PM) *

Wondering if anybody uses WS_FTP, What's Up Networking Monitoring, IMail Server, etc?

i use a whole range of their software ...

i've got "iMail 2006" on several servers and i use "WS FTP Professional 2007" for FTP ...

very happy customer for many years ... good products, easy to use ...
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
Rand
I've used WS_FTP for years. Good product.

(Hey Andy, remember the first version where you click "about" and see the author's mug shot? laugh.gif )
Pnambic
Likewise, I've used WS_FTP in its various forms for as long as I can remember. I think it was the first non-command line based FTP program I ever used. I think I downloaded my first version of it back in '94 or '95. Never had a complaint.
Demick
I used to use WSFTP years ago. But now IE has it all built-in. So FTP'ing in IE is just drag and drop like any other explorer window.

Demick
rigglet
My company (large global company) uses WS FTP on all workstations and we used to use What's Up. We've since switch to Nagios for monitoring to attempt to save costs.
BigDBass
We've been using IMail server from IPSwitch for many years to provide students' email accounts. It does what we need and we're quite satisfied. (We moved staff and faculty moved to MS Exchange Server a few years ago.)

I rarely need an FTP client these days, but when I do, I use AbsoluteFTP from VanDyke. Mainly because I got a free license for it when we bought a site license for their CRT telnet client.
drewvw
Good to hear the generally positive feedback.

Windows does have a good GUI based client nowadays so WS_FTP's nifty scripting and tasking functionality is the real value add. They are exploring ways to build on that for the future....

I can tell you that a new version of IMail is slated to release next week and new version of WS_FTP is also coming up soon.
fiid
WS_FTP is a very good ftp client, but.....

FTP is bad because it sends your password in cleartext (i.e. a snooper or eavesdropper could read it) accross the network. (The file can also be snooped of the network).

If you can - try to use Secure FTP or SCP. I sometimes use a program called winscp to do this - which is free and also has a nice UI, and - did I mention? It's free. Of course, it depends on weather the people you're trying to ftp to will allow you to use a different access mechanism.

Of course - you'd probably be okay 99.9% of the time...YMMV ... I work at a Security company - so I have to think about it all day every day smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiid @ Mar 2 2007, 01:42 PM) *

I work at a Security company - so I have to think about it all day every day smile.gif

or, use the security package i wrote a couple of years ago for my previous company that allows you to wrap *ANY* connection on *ANY* port with SSL for *ANY* software app without the need to modify your existing client or server app.

with that, you can retrofit any existing FTP server/client with SSL without having to switch to another software ...
cool_shades.gif Andy

PS: basically a very flexible SSL tunnel that can secure any traffic from anywhere to anywhere without change to the client/server software ...
anthony
I just started using WinSCP3. Works great!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.