Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problem with the AX.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
McMark
Charlie/Clay

I was contacted by Kurt Fischer about the AX. He kept talking about the Redwood Region board meeting and seeing if he could get permission for me. blink.gif Then yesterday I got an email that said this, "it was decided that we cannot "sponsor" your autocross set for Monday, June 19th!" ohmy.gif

My understanding was that the local region didn't really have much say in this sort of thing. It was my understanding that if 914 SIG wanted to support my event, that was enough.

Please set me straight here... unsure.gif
chuxter
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 2 2007, 10:02 AM) *

Charlie/Clay

I was contacted by Kurt Fischer about the AX. He kept talking about the Redwood Region board meeting and seeing if he could get permission for me. :blink: Then yesterday I got an email that said this, "it was decided that we cannot "sponsor" your autocross set for Monday, June 19th!" :o

My understanding was that the local region didn't really have much say in this sort of thing. It was my understanding that if 914 SIG wanted to support my event, that was enough.

Please set me straight here... :unsure:

I sent your question to my "boss", John Straub, asking advice.

Does Kurt know that Redwood Region has essentially zero legal exposure?
Does he understand that the only thing he has to do is to submit the insurance request?
Does he understand that "sponsor" is totally symbolic?

I'll let you know more when I hear from John...
McMark
Thanks Charlie! thumb3d.gif Here is the email in its entirety, for reference. They don't want to lose their site, but with the AX experience of our members and the number of participants, losing the site is a completely foreign possibility. If I need to I'll rent the track and use their insurance, but I would like the save the $500 insurance fee if possible.

Mark...

We had our board meeting last night and it was decided that we cannot "sponsor" your autocross set for Monday, June 19th!

A bit of history is necessary to explain why!

1. We have had this site for the last 6 years with no problem from the County of Sonoma.. they are VERY strict on the activities that go on there! In previous years, this site was also used by the Corvette Club who got thrown off the site because of misadventures as well as ESCA. (Empire Sports Car Association) who got also got thrown off the course and ALL autocrossing was stopped by the Airport! It took us several years to cement a new relationship with the Airport and to win their good graces! We can not jeopardize this relationship as there are NO AX venues to be had in our area! ESCA is still on a trial basis with the Airport.

2. We do not feel that your group has the expertise and wherewithal to run a proper AX... with the right number of the right people! Not to say that you could not do it... but without our help, we feel that you could not pull this off. As I explained to you... setting this date on a Monday will preclude most of us regular AXers from being there! We have established strict protocols among ourselves and we each have a duty to perform and we do them well.

3. If you were to contact the Airport ... the 1st thing they would ask you to furnish "liability insurance"... this is NOT cheap... ESCA pays $1500 per year..and there is NO one day event insurance available. The cost precludes you from obtaining this insurance... and passing this on to your members!!

4. If you were able to obtain insurance.. would you have the necessary qualified people to run this AX.. to set up a proper course, etc?

Now... I have an alternative plan for you... I'm not all bad news!

GGR ( Golden Gate Region) has an AX set up for Saturday, June 16th at their great wide open site in Alameda. Think about changing your plans... so far all you have in the hotel space locked up! The tour could be changed to Sunday or Monday of your weekend and anyone that wanted to AX would be more than welcome at the GGR site...see here! Alameda is about a 45 minute drive from Rohnert Park.. not far at all.

http://www.pca-ggr.org/show.cgi?id=acvenues

Picture this.... your guys get to AX... with Porsches... no insurance needs... no course set up...no equipment setup...NO worries... pay your $30.00 to GGR....AX and have fun!! Typically there are over 100 cars at a GGR AX... another 30 cars from your group would not hurt them! You still can run V8 914's and NON Porsche cars!

I realize that you are new into this kind of event planning and trust me it is NOT a easy thing to do... I feel your pain... I planned a 400 person Porsche event in August of 2005 here in Santa Rosa... and had 20 volunteers and we spent 9 months planning and pulling this off for the PCA National staff and got rave reviews from PCA and Excellence Magazine. etc!

You should have contacted me... way before you had set the dates.... we could have dovetailed your guys AXing to one of our events! Also... I would have suggested using the Flamingo Hotel in Santa Rosa.... they are about $129.00 per night... and it's owned by a Redwood Region member... Pierre Erhet... who was the on the GT winning team at the 2005 24hrs of Daytona... a real Porsche friendly place. That is were the RGruppe had their event that I was involved in 2006!

AXing is a very popular event with the Redwood Region...and all of Zone 7 of the PCA and we sure do not want to lose our site! I hope you can understand that!

You are still invited this Saturday.. .bring your 914 and let's talk!

Thanks
ClayPerrine
IT sounds like they want to take control of this.

I would let Charlie handle it through PCA channels.

McMark
Yeah, I haven't replied to him yet. Thanks again guys. I'm in unfamiliar waters here. It's nice to have a couple guides. smiley_notworthy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.