Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: north east guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
drunk.gif o.k winter is coming to an end here in the northeast and it is time to see which teener owners survived the winter. let us all check in and begin the seasonal battle against the 914.
rmital
Richie smiley_notworthy.gif ..oh great sage and eminent Narpoholic...

I'm running out of things to break around the house and need to get back to F'in things up on my car....hopefully the weather will break soon and we'll see who's left hangin' around.
gfulcher
QUOTE(nycchef @ Mar 2 2007, 01:02 PM) *

:DRUNK: o.k winter is coming to an end here in the northeast and it is time to see which teener owners survived the winter. let us all check in and begin the seasonal battle against the 914.

Doin' fine just Northwest of Boston... My 3600 mile round trip from Boston to Florida and back, via Atlanta and the Eastern Shore of Maryland over Christmas, in the 914, sans roof, satiated me for many months to come.. the 914 is poised and ready for Spring's eventual return...

can't speak for others though...

-greg
Spoke
On the green car I'm in the middle of cleaning out my gas tank and replacing all of the rubber lines below the tank. Finally the garage feels warmer than my freezer.

The red car is running but the battery is shot. Need to pick up a new battery. Maybe after this weekend's thaw I can get the red car back on the road.

Spoke
JerryP
I never put mine to bed for the winter, although it has had a nice nap for the past 3 weeks due to the slushy salty mess. Fired it up yesterday and took a run to charge up the cold battery. Even got a new inspection sticker about an hour ago to keep the fuzz off my back.

53 degrees and sunny tomorrow in Philly. I can't wait to act all mad when the wife asks me to run 20 errands while she watches the spud.
Dr Evil
Gonna get frustrated with it all next week....maybe it will burn fuel instead of just piss it dry.gif
drewvw
I'm here...quietly building a 2270 motor in my basement as the winter storms pass through new england. Damn parts are on backorder.
jd74914
I have been working on my F-1 project lately in the very little amount of spare time I have (ME student). Next week I'm on break so she'll get to pulled out of hibernation for me to do a little more bodywork. She's almost ready for paint which should come by late May I hope. I might even go for a little drive depending on the weather. smile.gif
Johny Blackstain
I fired up the 6, 60 here in DC today. Put putted around for 30 minutes, fueled up & put 8oz of Stabil in the tank. It was nice! I need to run the 4 desperately, been 5 months. She's in storage, properly, so hopefully will fire right up at the end of the month if all goes well... I think I found a home for the twins. cool_shades.gif
adamfl
I'm ready!! It looks like today's monsoon has taken care of the remaining salt, hopefully the last of it. Time to tune up the carbs and....well everything else can wait...its suppose to break 50 here this weekend - time to take the roof off for the season! aktion035.gif
turboman808
I still got no car but that's my own fault headbang.gif

Got to hook me up with the good restaurants Richie!

I hope to catch up with you guys in Hershey
rhcb914
Mine is still up on jack stands. I pulled the tank a few months ago to put in a front sway bar and replace the fuel lines. I'm hoping the warm weather this weekend will melt the continental ice shelf that formed in my garage from the last storm/thaw/freeze. Once it melts I'll be getting back to work smash.gif . The roads here are pretty well salted so it will be a few more weeks before I take her out of hybernation.

scottb
gonna be getting mine ready for the road here shortly. the ice and slush storm today and an extra load of salt on the road may delay things a bit though....

dry.gif
i love porsche
just needing some time to open up at movietime for my stiffening kit and underbody
plas76targa
My car is "official", it's been on jack stands throughout the winter. I HAVE to replace that darned fuel pump and then hopefully it will run. I've wimped out on further progress due to the cold temps we've had over the last 6 weeks. I'm ready for spring!
Qball
Had both out thid morning for some early morning runs,going to be 55 and sunny today. The 914 is runnung on battery only with a dead alternator, I'm not changing it out till Mark delivers my new 2056. driving.gif

Johny Blackstain
biggrin.gif Excuse me but what is THAT doing in your garage, over those pretty girls no less?! cool_shades.gif
nycchef
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Mar 2 2007, 09:00 PM) *

just needing some time to open up at movietime for my stiffening kit and underbody

aaron lets keep this thread about the cars and leave your sex life in your bathroom..........PERVERT
how have you been? biggrin.gif
i love porsche
somehow i knew..that the only reply that WOULDNT be helpful would be yours....

never been busier with school..and never been broker....so....im doing great!
rmital
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Mar 3 2007, 02:00 AM) *

I can't wait to get outta the house and over at MovieTime again. MovieTime's been pretty busy lately (just finished a new TV show, "The Black Donnellys", Monday nights, NBC)...I'm sure we could get some space over there, just need to ask.

I actually found another 1.7L that needs tons of work. I'll really get a chance to work on my welding skills....
jet1
wavey.gif I think my cars are going to stay tucked away for this summer while I build a house, but I wouldn't mind coming down to visit for a wrench session or two.

BTW if any of you need a battery tray they are on sale for like $4 at Tweeks. I think they are getting rid of their 914 parts.
ejm
Winter really only got here a little over a month ago so little driving time's been lost. Last time out in a 914 was mid January until today's ride down to Chris Foley's shop. Drove down with the top off, came home in a blizzard of half dollar sized snow flakes.

ptravnic
Ahoy matey's! Here in Buffalo and havn't done much w/the 914. I have all the parts for a fresh engine (had the heads done by Hoffman, got a new cam and rebuilding a set of Dell's). Just too cold here to shuffle around the garage. Also, I'm finishing up remodeling the bathroom (had to replace rotten floorboards = yummy...).

With b-school applications out of the way, every day is a Saturday!

r_towle
Well,

The red one is all poised to be on the JS's tommorow, remove the engine, and take out the rear suspension..

Gotta do the new bearings...woohoo.

Then I will find something to weld...and back in the motor goes, should be all set for spring...

I did realise that now that Porsche ownes a majority share of VW, my Eurovan is technically a porsche....

makes you think huh...no more NARP..

Rich
yarin
Connecticut checking here...

I spent most of today working on my 914. Bolted down the passenger Corbeau Forza seat, ripped out the rest of the heating system, cleaned up some hack job wiring among other things.

I'm waiting for my PMB CV joint kits to arrive so I can bolt up my drive shafts and and get back on the road. Also need to find a sheet of lexan to cut a rear window out of. I've got Porterfield R4S pads coming too so ineed to bleed the fluid and slap those puppies on. Already dropped the tranny and changed the clutch fork cup/holder. Swepo and roll bar padding is also on the way. Installed an ebay starter too.

That's pretty much my winter project with the meat of it being the CV joint since it snapped last November.

That was basically my day... my hands can prove it.

piratenanner.gif

Qball
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 3 2007, 07:22 AM) *

biggrin.gif Excuse me but what is THAT doing in your garage, over those pretty girls no less?! cool_shades.gif

I use the ferrari flag to sop up the drippings under the 914 chairfall.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Qball @ Mar 3 2007, 11:44 PM) *

I use the ferrari flag to sop up the drippings under the 914 chairfall.gif

biggrin.gif another environmentalist... I approve of recycling. laugh.gif Burn it, don't wash it... better to pollute the air over our rivers & streams. av-943.gif

smoke.gif
nycchef
well it's good to hear from everyone. though i see a negative theme here. with q-ball waiting for a new engine, turboman's car not starting, pete moving to live amongst the penguins and my engine smoking like the first 5 rows of a grateful dead concert, we now have a total of 0 running 914's in N.Y.C. i am depressed.
anyway.. what ever happened to LEO! sad.gif
Qball
QUOTE(nycchef @ Mar 4 2007, 07:25 AM) *

well it's good to hear from everyone. though i see a negative theme here. with q-ball waiting for a new engine, turboman's car not starting, pete moving to live amongst the penguins and my engine smoking like the first 5 rows of a grateful dead concert, we now have a total of 0 running 914's in N.Y.C. i am depressed.

Rich, had her out yesterday for a nice spin, driving.gif just have to trickle charge the batt. at night av-943.gif
tdgray
Well... more midwest than NE but I'll report in anyway.

No 914 obviously as I just sold it to Cole in Nov.

The other short-term project is in the garage sitting next to the MGA (which is covered).

Have not touched it...don't plan on it until the basement is finished and the pool is in this spring.

Still don't know if I will keep it. Would like to get another 914 project... this time either a six or subby conversion. We'll see.

Snowing today dry.gif

RS22b
QUOTE(nycchef @ Mar 4 2007, 09:25 AM) *

Sorry i didnt step in before a comment as such. My car is actually up and running. Drove it a few times over winter. New Years Day was real nice and then i drove it again twice in one week, the week before the snow came.

I need to get a new battery, but thats really the extent of my issues with the motor. Still need to rebuild the rear calipers for some slightly better braking, but my race pads do a swell job of getting me back down to 0 even without the LR caliper working.

_billy
PS: also just bought a BMW F650 GS Dakar. So nice days are now split.
davec
Freshening the 3 liter, repairing the damage to the Sheridan nose, replacing the targa bar with fiberglass, and adding a GT3 wing... Yeah, it's been a busy winter.
jd74914
Any pics of the work Dave?
type11969
Just caught this thread, checking in from Philly . . .

A little less hole, but still pretty hellish:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Not looking great for getting on the road this season, but I'm not giving up! Hopefully by the fall, I'll be starting grad school then, either part or full time, and I know garage time is going to go to zero.

I did get an LM-1 for my birthday and just bought the Auxbox kit. Now I can log wideband o2 readings, rpm, cyl head temp or egt, vac, and acceleration (can backtrack out hp) . . . tuning just got easier. We will have to have a 914 tuning day at movietime at some point.

-Chris
JPB
Me have car but car no motor. Doctor Evil make trany happy last weekend in holly sancturay of evil parts. Me gonna spend cash on making car water cooled. Me join Crazy Hippy and join dark side. Me confused but happy. Feed me Chef!
jk76.914
Bout time I checked in. I'm working to be out-and-about in the 914 next month. It's due for state inspection then anyway.

Just finishing up setting the valve geometry to a gnat's ass. I lay awake nights trying to think up how to do everything the hard way.... You see, I'm doing it with the engine in the car, and not on a lift. Only jackstands.

I'm using blue dykem on the adjusters, and then turning the engine over 1 turn. The skid mark's position tells me if the pushrod is too long or too short- the mark should be centered. The length of the mark tells me if the pedestal needs shimming- should be as short as possible...... Seems to be working..... No dial indicator required.

The top one has too short a pushrod. The second one looks better, but the pedestal needs to be shimmed... Third one looks about perfect.....

Jim

Nord of Boston

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
r_towle
So, finally got my ass in gear, a bit late this year, but hey...its winter...

Got the motor stripped, and the case is off at the machine shop for a bath and galley plugs.

New parts arrive daily, so the new motor will be together fairly soon, next two weeks.

I just spent an hour or so gathering what I think is all the tin I need, along with the best intake and tubes etc....

Then I sandblasted one piece of head tin, and now..Im out of steam.

Rich
drewvw

heads for my 2270 are currently being tweaked and rebuilt...juts have to pony up the cash for the internals.

rich (towle)...i owe you a call man, been up in Stowe Vermont on a romantic getaway. Skiing has been of the out west caliber.....

and yes, i am checking the site during a romantic getaway! biggrin.gif
ptravnic
Northeast roll call - Richie & Ray, both of you's have contacted me in the past week or so & got me thinking that I'll head to NYC sometime next weekend-ish (give or take an ish). Fill me in on this engine swap shenanegan!

rmital
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Apr 19 2007, 09:53 PM) *

Fill me in on this engine swap shenanegan!

...shenanegan...couldn't have said it better...

I think Richie needs to put together a list of "things I need to make a 2.0L go"....:
MPS
injectors
CHT
Throttle Body Gasket (I got a throttle body w/tps)
Tin?
pleneum (sp.?)
etc.
etc.
ptravnic
QUOTE(rmital @ Apr 19 2007, 10:30 PM) *

I think Richie needs to put together a list of "things I need to make a 2.0L go"....:
MPS
injectors
CHT
Tin?
pleneum (sp.?)
etc.
etc.

Ahh, I see... He should be able to pick up all the necessary schtuff in Hershey. So, engine swap timing TBD
yarin
I made it to one AutoX and one DE. Car is doing well, still needs some tuning but overall its a done deal!

I keep having to adjust my clutch. The clutch tube looks fine and the ball at the end of the clutch fork is good. So its either the pressure plate or the cable.. any suggestions?
r_towle
Wow, what a night.
We have been hunting for a front end wiggle for a whole year since we built the car...
All bearings, tie rods, ball joints etc were all replaced...no good, kept happening.
New wheels, tires, even my mint fuchs and tires...no good, kept happening..
The rear end is tight.

So I was reading on the 914club board, and Brad mentioned that he is starting to see steering racks that are failing..he suggested that we have a look.

Well, up in the air she went, my son held the steering wheel still against the lock, and I wiggled and wiggled...I kept feeling a very slight wiggle, but it was very hard to figure out were it was coming from.

So, wheels off, tie rods off, grab the rack end and guess what...
It wiggled up and down, just a bit...but the other side did not wiggle at all..mind you it was really just a little bit..

So, this is the fun part.
We took off the ujoint at the floor board inside the car, dropped the skid plate, and took off the two bolts that hold the rack in place...
It will not move far enough out to remove it..
Hmmm.
Went and had dinner...
Went back, figured we had to take out the tank and unbolt the steering shaft from the rack to get it out...
Nope..
We ended up unbolting the a-arms in front and rear, dropping the entire assemble with the ball joints still attached to the struts.
It will come down enough to pull out the steering rack..not a problem, and we did not have to take off the ball joints...(I am always looking for less work)

Anyways...its all back together...tight, and all lubed up..
Gotta set up the alignment system tommorow and get it back on the road for the season tommorow afternoon..

My son is very excited to drive his porsche again after a long winter..

Meanwhile, mine has half the front end all new, the other half is still in the boxes..and I want to drive also..
I went for the full monty though..ball joint, bearings, turbo tie rods, rack spacer, roller bearings...so it takes a bit of time to take out all the old rusty crap and put in the nice new shiny stuff...
It may be done tommorow at around 12pm..maybe not..we shall see.

Then once they are all aligned, pack them up and head to Hershey next weekend..

Rich
nycchef
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Apr 19 2007, 06:46 PM) *

QUOTE(rmital @ Apr 19 2007, 10:30 PM) *

MPS
injectors
CHT
Tin?
pleneum (sp.?)
etc.
etc.

no swap shananegan for me. engine is a 75 lot less hp. no time or place to do it.
new restaurant is cheweing up my life . may give the 1.7 to a pro and see what can be done for it.

Ahh, I see... He should be able to pick up all the necessary schtuff in Hershey. So, engine swap timing TBD

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.