Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I AM A DUMBASS!!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
about an hour ago..I went outside and the teener was in the street...I guess I didnt pull the ebrake high enough or something of that jist..well, I went to get into it to pull it up the driveway and snap! the key breaks inside the door handle. It is the only key I have. So...Not wanting to look like a dumbass to my neighbors by asking, I went and probably gave myself a hernia pushing the car uphill in the street and then UP my driveway..Keep in mind the ebrake is partially engaged...oh well, I am a fool. Goodnight
headbang.gif
Jared
kafermeister
laugh.gif I know exactly what your going through. I can't tell you how many times I got frustrated at something I've done. In my frustration, I ended up getting in a hurry and making things even harder on myself. blink.gif

Hope your back heals soon. wink.gif

Rick
Aaron Cox
bummer!

yeah it sucks.... i was hurrying one time and manged to screw up a virgin fender headbang.gif .
markb
Now you know why I have an extra set of keys in the house, and at the shop, and on my better half's keyring. laugh.gif
redshift
hah!

I used to lock the doors, til I realized it was easier to park in a well lit area, and leave them open.

No broken glass!

M
Brad Roberts
I leave them unlocked also.... criminals can only afford to live in Marin county if they live at San Quentin.

B
Kerrys914
That sucks ohmy.gif

I attempted to get a key made at Lowes, with my blank, and they couldn't do it. I guess I need to find a lock smith before I break my only key.

I lock only the passanger side. I figure I have a 50/50 chance a bad guy will check the drivers door. smile.gif...Well it helps me sleep better anyhow.

Plus I don't think the guys stealing the car could drive/shift the car.

Cheers beer3.gif
Joe Ricard
Actually got my 914 key cut at Walmart. Real good job pretty spiffy machine.

They wouldn't even touch my 928 key nor would I let them try just for kicks.
Rog914
Yes, it is embarrassing when a stranger knocks on your door an askes "Is that your car sticking half way out in the road?" Mine rolled down my driveway then up the driveway across the street and back down to hit the bushes on the corner of my driveway with half sticking out in the road. Luckily nobody hurt but the 914 got a brused front valance.

Ralph

74 2.0
ChrisFoley
The first week I ownded my tangerine car I did some work on the E brake handle. Then I parked the car in the street with the engine running. Next thing I knew, as I was walking up the driveway, the car was rolling down the street. It stopped, but not before it scraped a post at the edge of the road. That was my introduction to body work. That's also how I found the fiberglass screen underneath thick Bondo behind the door handle on the QP. smash.gif
Kerrys914
So that's how you get that cool brushed metal look laugh.gif

Cheers
Kerry
Queenie
I broke two keys in two months off in the ignition of my ex-husband's 912...not my fault, the ignition on that car is all screwed up, but still...argh. It's really frustrating.

If anyone has trouble finding keys, they might want to call Tony Euganeo. He's a locksmith of some reknown in the 356/912 worlds. I'm sure he could make a 914 key as well.

He doesn't have a web site, but:

Locksmith Service - Tony Euganeo (610)461-0519
Joe Bob
Kind of that old Uncle Joe that wears suspenders AND a belt.....set the brake AND put it in gear......geez. cool_shades.gif

As to keys....I have three sets, most of the time two can be found.....
fiid
I AM ALSO A DUMB-ASS

I just bought a flare nut wrench set on ebay. Check the sizes:

8 & 9, 10 & 12, 13 & 14, 15 & 17, 19 &21, 21 & 22 MM.

NO 11mm - which is what all the bloody brake lines are on the 914. I'm such a dick I can't even believe it.

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH.

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
r_towle
In response to belt and suspenders...........

About ten years back, my wife put our kids, a six year old, a four year old and a two year old in the VW vanagon, top of a steep driveway.....

Went inside to get one more thing.....six year old leaned into the front to get something,,,popped it out of gear...rolled down the driveway across a very busy road and literally tapped a telephone pole to come to a stop, kids and all were fine......but she always uses both the brake and puts it in gear NOW!!!!

As far as all my cars go, never lock them....
Pointless for me, if someone wants it that bad, getting in a car is not the hard part....
Breaking the steering lock, and hotwiring it are much harder......Then there is out running the dogs....

Rich
Aaron Cox
my locksmith even had key blanks wink.gif 1.50 a key + 2 bucks to cut it.
redshift
QUOTE(Va914 @ Nov 26 2003, 09:12 AM)
Plus I don't think the guys stealing the car could drive/shift the car.

I have had 2 cars stolen. 1 guy went 2FAF and destroyed the transaxle, the other guy misshifted from something into something else.

They found both cars abandoned! (like most 914s heh)

M
grayson
I just replaced the drivers door flap on my 914. The passenger handle was taken off completely by a potential thief. Amazingly they didnt make it in. Maybe I'll just shave the passenger door handle completely.

These theft stories are one reason I wanted a sleeper/beater looking 914. Gets looked over easily, until I get cocky and drive too fast for my own good.

I just realized I only have 1 key for each lock on my car!
jnp914
Another key story...

The closest Porsche dealer didn't even want to talk about cutting keys, the parts guy sends everyone down the street to a locksmith.

So... I take my beautiful mint condition original Porsche key blank to said locksmith and ask for it to be cut to match the handleless stub I got with the car. He cuts one side and then says "Hey, this is the wrong key. It will never work." I am POed, first because he cut it to begin with and now I can't exchange it for the correct key, and for getting the wrong key to start with.

I do some checking and some thinking, and head back to the locksmith even more POed. It turns out this experienced locksmith with all the Porsche dealer referrals doesn't grasp the concept of a master key and a valet key. He grudgingly finished cutting the key, and it worked fine.
need4speed
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 26 2003, 10:49 AM)

Pointless for me, if someone wants it that bad, getting in a car is not the hard part....
Breaking the steering lock, and hotwiring it are much harder......Then there is out running the dogs....

. . . especially if they just happen to not notice the distributor cap was popped off, and the rotor missing. (when I park in scary places).

Basically, locking a convertible is begging for someone to come along and cut a big hole in a top that would cost like $2000 to replace.
Welcome into my car. Behold the nonexistant stereo, and complete lack of anything worth taking. finger.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.