Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: giving the beast new life...no fuel pump noise when turned on, etc
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Schump
I crawled back under my '73 2.0 again today. still haven't gotten back to the stuck (now broken off) allen adjuster on the LR caliper. I wanted to hear it run again!
After cleaning and reconnecting the starter wiring, I put my Jetta battery in it (too big, but it will do the job, she's on jackstands!)
Now, whenever I give the car power, the red light on the left of the left gauge comes on. I remember this being some sort of warning light....wait...duh, is it the low oil pressure warning light? Well, I did install a VDO oil pressure gauge and sender, (replaced clock in center console) but did it backwards... I put a T in and used the original idiot light sender as well as a gauge sender...hindsight said i should have had my buddy at VDO get me the sender with the idiot light terminal, but i didn't know at the time, and didn't know if it'd work with my factory gauge...
so... it seems to me as if there might be something wrong/sticking in the ignition switch. it still turns fine, the engine cranks over, but the red light is on in the dash, even with the key out of the car! confused24.gif Do i have a bad ignition switch or a blown relay or something?
as important, when i turn the ignition switch on, i never hear the fuel pump humming under the tank (PO had it reinstalled right next to the rack to prevent the ever-present vapor lock cause by original location)
So maybe I have one problem, maybe two (ok, a LOT more when u consider the driver's floor pan, longitudinals-inner and outer, and other stuff that makes this chassis a cantidate for the chopping block....
HELP
i still want to get it started so i can drive it onto the trailer when i take itt down to my best friend's shop, and D-Day is in 1 week, aka the deadline the 'rents have set as i bought another car and theyr'e putting the house on the market shortly
thanks,
PB
i'll pull the steering rack cover 2morrow to check voltages at the fuel pump from the +12v line and ground... when there is light outside and i can see again
Dave_Darling
Red light == charging system warning light. Should not be on unless the key is in the "on" position! If it is, Something Is Hosed. Possibly the diodes in the alternator??

No fuel pump sound == no fuel pump running. Check to see if there is ground at the pump, and +12V when the key goes from "off" to "on" (if you hooked up the pump to the stock wires when you moved it).

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.