Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lowering the back end
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
jr91472
Hey gang,

I am a relatively new a/x'er. My PO is my older brother who originally restored my 914 and a/x'ed with SCCA in the 80's. I learned something about my car from him the other day I didn't know.

He place removable spacers (about 1 1/2" height) under the rear springs. They are split and held together on the shock by a hose clamp so they can easily be removed for a/x duty, thus lowering the rear end. He swears by this and had the performance to back it up.

What do you guys think? I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know what the actual ride height would be before and after. What should I look for? Front height and rear height should be equal? Front slightly lower?

I am going to remove the spacers in a day or so and take some measurements.

thanks beer.gif
jr91472
Also,

For measuring ride height, is their a "standard" location from which to measure?
Rough_Rider
Use the doughnuts for measuring rideheight. Else whatever you use make sure you consistent.
A ride height tool makes checking real easy & fast just slide it in under the area to be checked. You can even make something on the cheap out of scrap wood.

Body position should be flat Or slightly nose down.

The only problem i see with a spacer block is potential for alignment change. IMO stick with one ride height for road & AX. Consider a coilover conversion for rear it'll give you 4"-5" of adjustment & cheap spring rate changes.

However be warned mod's are a slipper slope. IMO if your bro used to drive it competitively then there should be nothing wrong with it, so go have fun & upgrade with your experience.
SirAndy
get adjustable perches ... they slip over the shock and give you an infinite amount of adjustment ...

bye1.gif Andy

grantsfo
Go with adjustable perches. Thats what most low budget AX/track people do.
Mueller
seems like a PITA....

so you are saying for everyday driving he has the rear of the car 1.5" higher and then only for auto-x he removes the spacer and lowers the rear??

what about the front???

is the rear 1.5" lower than the front of the car during auto-x (so the nose sticks up??)

like mentioned above, generally, for best all around handling the rear is .5" higher than the front (measure at the donuts under the car)

I have seen a few people swear that the cars handle better if the rear of the car is way lower than the front, and that is just obsurd...it works, but far from ideal
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.