Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Axle seal leaking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JBart
Looking for some help / ideas

My R- Axle seal has started to leak does the whole trans. have to
come apart and is that seal hard to come-by ? I'm hoping it's easier than
I think it's gonna be .

Any help would be much appreciated !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
jbart
Bleyseng
Its easy to replace just:
drain oil
take off the CV's
Wire up the axles out of the way
Loosen the bolts holding the flanges on
pull off flanges
Carefully remove seal and install new
reinstall everything and fill with Swepco 201 oil
Crazyhippy
agree.gif

Dont forget new gaskets for the CV's and new Schnorr washers (or Dr. evil's safety wire cv bolt kit)

BJH
Borderline
I just want to make sure we're talking about the seal where the axle stub comes out of the transaxle...right? I just replaced mine and I didn't have remove the side plate. After removing the CV joint and getting the axle out of the way, all you have to do is remove the "expansion bolt" and the stub axle comes right out. I pryed out the seal with a crow bar and tapped in a new one...piece of cake. Of course when I did it the transaxle was already out of the car. It's in the haynes manual. Glad I checked before tearing into the tranny! FWIW
JBart
Thanks Everybody,

Is there a torgue spec. on the nut which holds the stub axle on and can I pick that
seal up at the local VW shop or Pelican?

The oil you recommended where can I find it all I've been able to find is COASTLE oil which doesn't seem to be a top brand in oil in my book.

Thanks Again,
jbart
Bleyseng
Pelicanparts.com sells it online

HPH in REdwood City probably has it

or Google a store near you.

It is the best by far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.