Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Mods. are needed to put a 3.2 in a 914-6 car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
What Mods. are needed to put a 3.2 in a 914-6 car? Can you bolt up to a 901 box? Does the injection clear the car without cutting?

Bob
736conver
QUOTE(burton73 @ Mar 3 2007, 02:53 PM) *

What Mods. are needed to put a 3.2 in a 914-6 car? Can you bolt up to a 901 box? Does the injection clear the car without cutting?

Bob

Yes you can mount it to a 901/914 box.
Injection clears but you may have to either turn the manifold 180 or make a custom tube for the air cleaner. I just used a extension and a 90 degree bend for the air cleaner. You will also have to cut a notch in the transmission for the sensors. Check out my blog and you can see the cut.
Besides that its just like installing any other six.
736conver
I should also add I removed my engine lid torsion bars as they got in the way when working with the fuel lines on the back of the manifold.
Heeltoe914
You are in LA come up to Tujunga sometime and I will show you the ends and outs on two 3.2 cars. Very easy on a 6.
burton73
Thank you for your offer. I am waiting for an Email to do this deal. Have you put a Steve Wong chip in those? I am not on commission but his chip made a world of difference on my 86 Carrera. A huge difference and I still passed smog not that it matters on the 914s.

Bob

dflesburg
Its easy.

My brother only took about 9 months to do his...

I on the other hand, am working on year 15. If I can get it running before June, I can say, it took 14 years...

Good Luck!
John
Hey,

I started in Feb 06 and had it running in July 06. Check my BLOG.

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif driving.gif
Dave_Darling
You need a special flywheel that fits the 3.2 engine (nine bolts) and also fits into the 901 gearbox. KEP, I think, sells those. You need the version that has the teeth for the crank position sensor of the DME. You may (not sure) need to fake up a bracket for the sensor.

Keep in mind that the 901 is somewhat marginal in durability on a 3.2 engine. You'll have to be somewhat careful with it, and you may find it requiring help sooner than if you used a little motor with it.

--DD
xitspd
I agree with Dave. I use a 901 with 914-6 3.6(traditional, original equipment). The 901 is heavily modified and it still see's the Doctor at least once a year.

Dan
John
Not the flywheel, you need a special pressure plate and clutch disc.

KEP does sell what you need. My 3.2 in my street car is using the 3.2 flywheel and a KEP perssure plate and disc. The 914-6 other parts should transfer over to the 3.2 fairly easily.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.