Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hubs stuck...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
Help!

Last time I took these apart was 13 years ago.

I don't remember how I did that.

bolt off,
stub axle out
how to get the hub off?
Eric_Shea
Suitable drift... pound.
dflesburg
but what part is the hub and what part is the bearing?

does the bearing come up as high as the bearing?
Aaron Cox
i used a 30mm deep impact socket to seperate the 911 ones i had.

its my magic tranny socket...
dflesburg
Thanks guys
Eric_Shea
does the bearing come up as high as the bearing?

Yes, the bearing comes up to exactly the same height as the bearing... biggrin.gif

You should be able to look in there and see the hub. I use the large end of an old 911 rear torsion bar.
dflesburg
thanks for understanding what I meant, rather than what I typed.

hub same height as bearing when looking from inside arm....

LOL
Eric_Shea
It's down just a little... wink.gif
John
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Mar 3 2007, 06:02 PM) *

Help!

Last time I took these apart was 13 years ago.

I don't remember how I did that.

bolt off,
stub axle out
how to get the hub off?

Wait a minute. If you had them apart 13 years ago, why did you put them back together? Your car has been apart longer than that.

I bet you are you installing the e-brake backing plates and associated hardware. Good for you.

Did you try calling? I was out.

I use my 20 ton press and a suitable piece of tubing. I think a 30mm Impact socket would work, but I don't like beating on my tools. Many moons ago when I didn't have my press, I used a piece of black iron pipe (1" or 1 1/4" don't remember) and a 5lb sledge to coax the hub out of the bearing.

You will destroy the rear wheel bearing in the process, so you might as well order a pair if you already don't have them.

Call me if you still have problems. I'll be stripping and refinishing more cabinets all day tomorrow....
dflesburg
got them out last night. they came out easy like aaron and eric said. Just didnt want to destroy my bearings.

Yeah, it was 13 years ago that I did the box a-arms. 14 years ago, chassis dipped, will be 15 years June 12 that I started this project.
hope to be running before we hit 15.

I will say there is a bit more involved in making this 911 e-brake fit than has been described in any of the threads, but I will have one side done by tonight. Other side should only take 1 day.
Eric_Shea
Just didnt want to destroy my bearings.

Fairly certain you did.
John
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 4 2007, 03:12 PM) *

Just didnt want to destroy my bearings.

Fairly certain you did.

agree.gif

I would never re-use rear wheel bearings that I had the hub out of. It's too much work to do over (just my opinion).

Pictures.

We want pictures of you one completed side.

BTW, Early 911 (1971-1973) e-brake backing plates have the correct bolt hole pattern for the 914 trailing arms. You do have to grind the trailing arm casting to fit though.

Good job on one down, one to go.
dflesburg
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
URY914
How about taking a step back, then take a picture.
Aaron Cox
use the macro button on your camera. looks like a flower icon.
So.Cal.914
If I squint my eyes it looks OK. Who did you get the e-brakes from?
John
You may want to install a jam nut on your bolt just before it screws into the clevis. That way, the bolt won't back out once you get everything set.

Other than really blurry pictures, it looks good!

(Wish I were there to help you with your welding)
dflesburg
I know I am not that great a welder... and my pictures are shakey. At least I am finishing the car... I am old and I shake sometimes.... I don't see that well anymore either... I have bi-focals now, what was it mom said caused that again?

LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.