Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a not-so-nice discovery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
i knew there was a bit of rust on the passenger's side longitudinal. while in the process of replacing the passenger side stock with with a corbeau forza seat i noticed the floor board in the back rear corner seamed a bit weak. i took a few pics of the carnage and posted them. I'm not terribly worried about structural integrity since I have a roll cage welded in and tied to the rear suspension towers.

anyway, at some point in the next year I obviously want to repair this damage. Where do I begin? Cut out part of the floor and longs and weld in new stuff? The hell hole seems like its in good shape. Is there a FAQ or how to on this stuff?

I know one of the sites mentioned on here sells patch metal kits. Any suggestions?

Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/infinitelydig...57594568251612/
GeorgeRud
Pull off the outer rocker panel, all the inside carpeting, and see how extensive the rust damage is. You can get replacement panels to weld in from several vendors that should replace the damaged parts. If you are seriously racing or autocrossing this car and your rules allow it, there are several stiffening kits for the longitudinals that will help (either inside, outside, or both) stiffen the area. Just be sure to get all the old rusted metal out or you will be back at the same point all to soon.
cantley914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 3 2007, 09:37 PM) *

Just be sure to get all the old rusted metal out or you will be back at the same point all to soon.

agree.gif Juust look in one of the pics where you see someone at one point had tack welded a patch to repair.
Do it once, do it well.

Steph
IronHillRestorations
If you are good with a welder and have done this sort of repair, then fix it right. Otherwise schedule an appointment with Chris Foley and see what he would charge to properly repair this.

I'm going to say you'll need a rear floorpan half, outer longitudinal, jack post and support, and some fabricated panels.

It's had some undercoating sprayed on it which is probably concealing more corrosion than what you can see. There is always much more than you can see when you start doing this sort of repairs.

Sorry!
snflupigus
on a 914... the only way not to find rust is not to look for it smile.gif

thats been my discovery.
Rleog
Perry's advice is on track, especially if you're anywhere near Chris. One thing he's mentioned to me is that no two 914's rust in the same manner. Obviously, there are common areas of concern, but be prepared to find rust in areas you may not expect.

Chris obviously speaks for himself, but I would second Perry's comment and have him take a look at it, if possible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.