Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: coil and crane ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
kart54
Well......

Long story short I now know why my coil was getting so hot. I had the wires reversed. New coil installed and it still won't fire. Now I'm wondering if I've fried the Crane along with the coil.

Do any of you know of a way to check? I also see the tach is supposed to be off the negative side of the coil, is that correct for the Porsche? That's whats in the crane instructions.

According to their instructions its yellow wire from the crane to the negative side of the coil. Red wire to the positive along with ignition button, Tach to the negative side of the coil.

Can anybody with a Crane XR700 or Crane 3000 confirm this for me, please. Any ideas on how to test the crane and the coil?

It's late and I'm done for tomight but I'll be working on it tommorrow in the am. Any help is greatly appreciated since I feel like a complete idiot right now.

Randy
Twystd1
Both the 3000 and the 700 are reverse polarity protected.

With light at end of box.

OR:

No light on end of box.

And there ya go...!!!!

Clayton
SLITS
If you call Tech Support they will remind you that a test procedure is noted in their instructions ...... You disconnect the connector between the dizzy and module and jumper (intermittently) between two of the three wires (don't remember at the moment which ones). If you get spark ... the module is good and the LED is bad. No spark .... module is dead.

You can find the manual on their website.
kart54
Thank you guys,

That's why this group is the best, Always helpful.

Have a great Sunday and remember the only intersting Nascar Busch race is on today. Road race from Mexico city with SCCA, Formula one, Formula 3000 and Indy car drivers making up the majority of the field. Scott Pruett's on the pole.

GO Pruett, Said, Simo and Fellows.

Randy
byndbad914
Randy, call Crane. I have called twice last week myself and they are one of the quicker techlines to pickup the phone... apparently something f'd up my optical trigger in my Crane distributor.

I wasn't sure if it was the hi-fire box or the dist, the guy on the phone told me to pull the coil wire off the distributor and insert a sparkplug direct. then disconnect the distributor trigger wires (green/purple in most cases). Then simply short the white wire into the box to ground (bump the white wire against the firewall) and the plug should fire. If the plug isn't firing the box is messed up.

that is how you manually trigger a hi-fire box, yours may be the same but double check with a phone call. Also MSD does it this way IIRC (procedure sounded familiar to me and this is my first Crane).

That also means you didn't burn the coil with the key on and everything in line, so see, I do have the worst luck ever! I am the only person I know to have actually done that tho' rumors exist that I am not the only one dry.gif laugh.gif
kart54
Hi All,
Thanks for all your help. My father-in-law came over on Sunday. He's the last of the true renaissance men. A hairdresser, computer guru and an auto mechanic all in one.
Using the suggestions of this site and the crane instructions what we determined was: I did burn up the first coil, the second coil was still okay, the Crane box was older and without any kind of polarity protection and it was toast. I just happened to have another newer crane box from a Jensen Healey I had. Put that in and the second coil and it fired right up.
Car runs perfectly now that the wiring is correct and the new parts are in.
Now all I need is a place to go racing and some time off.
Thanks again You guys are great.
Randy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.