Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear window seal replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warrenoliver
I still haven't been able to drive my new baby, but maybe in a week or two if this darn snow would go away. dry.gif

I would like to replace the rear window seal on my 73 914. It is the seal on the outside at the bottom of the window. The one that is there curently, is pretty old, busted up, and brittle. I found what I think is the correct part on the Pelican website. They call it "Engine Lid Seal, Between Rear Glass and Engine Lid, 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (1970-76), 914-6 (1970-72".

Before I order this thing, I would like to know if anyone has any tips on first, how to remove the old one without removing the rear window smash.gif , and second, how to install the new one.

Thanks.

Warrenoliver
Grimstead
It's pretty easy, just pull the old seal back towards the tail lights.

I bought my new seal from PP and replaced it while the rear window was out but I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it with the window in.

Honestly though, if your window leaks or rattles at all, I would pull it as well and replace the buttle tape (this is super easy as well).
tyler
The right way is to have the rubber seal in place with the window out and then install the window. I've done it twice, once with butyl tape and the last time with a tube. I think the tube works better if your good at it but otherwise don't use tap that's too thick or it will be hard to compress and not look good. Also it's good to use some Frit for a border around the edge so you cover the irregular buytl appearance. There are time restrictions for the Frit/buytl to be installed.
The rear window comes in and out pretty easy (seats removed) and it needs spacers on the bottom to keep it up in place.

======================
QUOTE(warrenoliver @ Mar 4 2007, 09:17 AM) *

I still haven't been able to drive my new baby, but maybe in a week or two if this darn snow would go away. dry.gif

I would like to replace the rear window seal on my 73 914. It is the seal on the outside at the bottom of the window. The one that is there curently, is pretty old, busted up, and brittle. I found what I think is the correct part on the Pelican website. They call it "Engine Lid Seal, Between Rear Glass and Engine Lid, 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (1970-76), 914-6 (1970-72".

Before I order this thing, I would like to know if anyone has any tips on first, how to remove the old one without removing the rear window smash.gif , and second, how to install the new one.

Thanks.

Warrenoliver

Tobra
Take the window out and do it right.

There is a pretty detailed description in the classic threads, either here or on the other site. You have to pull the back pad, but it will give you a chance to clean up the rust at the bottom of it, if you have rust there
Eric_Shea
Check here. agree.gif you should pull the window and do it right. wink.gif
watsonrx13
I followed Eric's thread and redid my rear window.... here's a link from my website....

-- Rob
alremley
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Mar 6 2007, 06:02 PM) *

I followed Eric's thread and redid my rear window.... here's a link from my website....

-- Rob

Rob, what rear window seal did you use? I found two types available. A OEM clip on style or an aftermarket glue on. Having done the job which do you think best?

I am not inclined to remove the window because my window appears to be solid.

I am interested in your comments.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(alremley @ Mar 6 2007, 09:29 PM) *

QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Mar 6 2007, 06:02 PM) *

-- Rob

Rob, what rear window seal did you use? I found two types available. A OEM clip on style or an aftermarket glue on. Having done the job which do you think best?

I am not inclined to remove the window because my window appears to be solid.

I am interested in your comments.

My recommendation is the OEM clip on... As you can see from my website, I installed the window first, then the seal, but I had the engine lid off...

I hope this helps and let us know what your decisions are and how the outcome is...

-- Rob
Tobra
Take pictures before, during, after, just in case with the before and during part
alremley
Thanks for the information Rob. Got the seal yesterday. It is obvious that the engine cover must come off first, then I guess I just start chipping my old hardened gasket off and see what I've got.
warrenoliver
[/quote]

Rob,

Any suggestions on where to pick up the OEM seal? Looks like Pelican is no longer avialable, and AA shows several different ones with different prices. I will probably get the wrong one from them. Does anyone else sell the OEM seal?

Thanx.

Warrenoliver
alremley
driving.gif [quote name='warrenoliver' date='Mar 11 2007, 05:12 PM' post='873534']
[/quote]

Rob,

Any suggestions on where to pick up the OEM seal? Looks like Pelican is no longer avialable, and AA shows several different ones with different prices. I will probably get the wrong one from them. Does anyone else sell the OEM seal?

Thanx.

Warrenoliver
[/quote]

Pelican, 914-512-319-10-m260, looks good. It has the metal bead imbedded in it so it can be pressed on just like the oem porsche. Just going to take a lot of careful patient work to install it without removing the window because you can't reach in through the window area to press it on from the inside of the car.
Jeweller914
Hi,

Do you have to take the window out to replace the engine lid seal? I appreciate it is worthwhile if the window leaks but mine is sound and all other rubber is intact.

The lid seal is brittle and cracking and you can see the wire.

Many thanks

J
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Jeweller914 @ Jun 10 2022, 12:08 PM) *

Hi,

@jeweller914

No - engine lid seal doesn't require window to be removed.

Just pull off toward rear of the car. However, sometimes you'll find previous owners have "glued" them in place with various types of sealant. So it may not come off easily.
914werke
Unless you find NOS part you can bet you will need to use some sort of adhesive to affix the new one. The OE part used a articulated metal spine to clamp to the body, the repop units dont.
rhodyguy
Is the bottom of the backpad solid or deteriorated? A shot backpad backing is a sure sign of a rear window leaking at some point. You will have to remove the targa interior side pieces to get the window out.
Root_Werks
I used this with very nice results:

https://914rubber.com/engine-deck-lid-seal-for-porsche-914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.