Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blaupunkt Radio for a '74 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
swm914
Hi, I recently bought a '74 2.0 that never has had a radio. I'm thinking about installing a reconditioned Blaupunkt radio, from that time frame, if I can find one. Do any forum readers know where I could look? Don't laugh, but ideally, I'd even consider radio/cassette (I'm an audio dinosaur) if such a reconditioned item still exists. Thanks
Steve
smg914
Blaupunkt Frankfurt......You see them on ebay quite often. Lots of times they are in Germany. Expect to pay quite a bit for a real nice one with all the wiring. Also do a WTB in the 914 world classifieds.
Gustl
you might try this one: eBay #270093366462

it's really nice looking (IMHO) and the seller ships international

wavey.gif Gustl
swm914
QUOTE(Gustl @ Mar 4 2007, 10:48 AM) *

you might try this one: eBay #270093366462

it's really nice looking (IMHO) and the seller ships international

wavey.gif Gustl

thanks...do you know if the L M K U U on the buttons is European vs. the AM FM that may be on a US installed one from the '70's? Also, i'm new...what is IMHO? Thanks again.
Steve
Porsche Rescue
While I know the Frankfurt was a common am-fm in the early cars ( I had one dealer installed in a 1970-4), I think it was uncommon as late as '74. Anyone know for sure?
Gustl
the letters are the names of the frequency bands

L = Langwelle = long wave (AM) => 148.5 - 283.5 kHz
M = Mittelwelle = mid wave (AM) => 300 - 3,000 kHz
K = Kurzwelle = short wave (AM) => 3 - 30 MHz
U = Ultrakurzwelle = very high frequency (FM) => 87.5 - 108 MHz

IMHO = in my humble opinion wink.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
Gustl
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Mar 4 2007, 10:01 PM) *

While I know the Frankfurt was a common am-fm in the early cars ( I had one dealer installed in a 1970-4), I think it was uncommon as late as '74. Anyone know for sure?

AFAIK the Frankfurt was factory used only with the /6
same for the Boston, Köln (=Cologne), New York and the Becker Grand Prix

at the /4 they used Wolfsburg, Emden, Hannover (with cassette) and Braunschweig

but I won't tell you that I know that for sure rolleyes.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
Porsche Rescue
I'm quite sure my Frankfurt was dealer installed, not factory. I am thinking that by '74 the US dealers were installing something else. If Steve wants a proper '74 radio, he should do more research before settling on a Frankfurt.
When did cassette tape players first appear in cars?
swm914
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Mar 4 2007, 02:58 PM) *

I'm quite sure my Frankfurt was dealer installed, not factory. I am thinking that by '74 the US dealers were installing something else. If Steve wants a proper '74 radio, he should do more research before settling on a Frankfurt.
When did cassette tape players first appear in cars?

I was a kid in '74 (17) and had an under the dash cassette player in my '65 VW. It VW had a Blaupunt pull out "picnic radio" in the dash..probably worth big $'s today.

I recall seeing cars WAY out of my range at the time (like 914's although I can't recall seeing 914's specifically with them) having cassette players.

If they even exist, I'm sure a reconditioned cassette player from that era that MAY have been in 914's would probably cost a mint. To be sure, I may just settle for a am/fm radio, once I figure out what is is I'm looking for and where to find it.

Thanks to all for the good advice so far.

Steve
Porsche Rescue
I think if you ask around on this forum (garage and classifieds) you will eventually find someone with an original equipment radio in a '74 914. Once you learn what type it is, I bet you can find one for a reasonable price. And likely cheaper than an am/fm Blau Frankfurt.
Pat Garvey
It would be a rare occurence for a 4 cylinder 914 (US delivery) to have had a factory installed radio. I personally know of none.

Radios were dealer options in the states, though Blaupunkt was probably the most requested.

I bought my '72 with no radio, even from the dealer. I wanted to save some bucks & do it myself, since it's so easy. Got a Blaupunkt Frankfort from Crutcthfield within 2 weeks of delivery of the 914 - put it in & wired it up in less than an hour. I won't go into the antenna story, but Frankfurts were quite common, though without cassette capability. 'course, in '72 we were mostly into 8-track.
jagalyn
This is the radio I always remember seeing in my earlier 914's and is the same radio in my 73 - 38,000 mile car and my 74 LE.

Here is one that was for sale on ebay:
Saphire Radio
Porcharu
I am looking at a Becker Europa for my 914. I like the look. I am also bidding on an AM only Blaupunkt. The modern radio looks like crap in my car and all I listen to is talk radio and baseball games so the AM only is good for me. It will look nice. I don't know how proper it will be.

Should the radio have a surround plate or should it be bare like the picture above? I have never seen a stock 914 radio installation in person.
jk76.914
My '76 had a dealer-installed Motorola AM/FM. Just the hard plastic basketweave surround.

I wanted an upgrade when I freshened the car, and, like you, I wanted somewhat of a vintage look. I found a Blaupunkt Houston on eBay. It's AM/FM, with presets, plus a cassette player with Dolby. I think it was one of the last Blaupunkts with two big knobs for volume and tuning. The big knobs give it just enough of the old-school look....

I snared it for $68, new-in-original-box. Box has an original price sticker of over $500! And those are 1984 dollars! Anyway, here's the pic. Some would disagree that it looks vintage enough, but it really goes well with fresh backetweave-

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.