Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Koni Strut Inserts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
This is as far as I can spin the nut down on the top, should these go all the way down to the strut?

Also, should I replace the bearing here while I've got this apart? I'm guessing you need a gear puller to remove, but how do I reinstall?

Kev
Allan
Not sure on the strut.

The item you posted in the pic is not the bearing. Don't bother trying to get it off. The bearing goes over that collar.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Headrage @ Mar 4 2007, 12:03 PM) *

Not sure on the strut.

The item you posted in the pic is not the bearing. Don't bother trying to get it off. The bearing goes over that collar.

agree.gif

you replace thebearing races in the hub....

basic roller bearings smile.gif
kconway
Yeah, I know about the races in the hub. So this part where the inner rides is not replaceable? It pretty pitted so I thought perhaps I should replace. I guess the part is actually the inner bearing spacer. Pelican sells the part, just didn't know if it is suppose to be replaced with the bearings...
Eric_Shea
That's not a bearing. That's a spacer. It comes off with heat but don't take it off. Porsche wants something like $45 clams for a new one.

I believe it simply fits in the grease seal and locks everything up.
davec
You "may" have a problem there. Every time I have replaced an insert I have been able to seat the gland nut correctly. Remove the insert and check for debris inside the bottom of the strut housing.

Did you take a Koni out of the housing? Did you get the same shock number?

Also, be sure to ad oil to the strut housing so you can remove the insert at some time in the future.

Dave C

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 4 2007, 01:28 PM) *

That's not a bearing. That's a spacer. It comes off with heat but don't take it off. Porsche wants something like $45 clams for a new one.

I believe it simply fits in the grease seal and locks everything up.

Aaron Cox
i thought the antifreeze/oil was used as a coolant ?
Joe Ricard
The strut retainer looks good if you don't ahve any up/down movement in the insert.
Yes the spacer should be left alone it is not load bearing related, just is used as a grease seal.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.