Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Anybody see the Grand AM Rolex this weekend?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
I am loving this race series. Always a good race biggrin.gif

But Papis makes me mad mad.gif
Joe Ricard
It was a good race. My wife thought it was cool to see the RX-8 win the class. I told her that those cars had 3 rotors and were nothing like her car.

Didn't matter to her she just cheered anyway.
Mid_Engine_914
I can't watch them Daytona ugly types.

IPB Image
Scott Carlberg
While I like the American LeMans series better, the Rolex series does provide better racing, as NO team has really put much of a fight up against the Audi team.

That might change this coming year in the P2 class with the THREE Acura teams and a new Mazda car.

Rolex in Mexico:
I was wondering why Papis was loosing so much of the lead the THE KID had given him, he said afterwards that it was traffic.

Cool to see the Gainsco team win their 1st race though.

I'd like to see the Brumos Porsche cars get a lot more competitive.
and
I'd LOVE to see the Porsche teams switch engines and run that 3.4 V-8 that the Penske P2 car runs in the ALMS!

The winner of the 1st Rolex Sports Car series race at Laguna Seca 2yrs ago.... and myself!

IPB Image
MattR
QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Mar 5 2007, 01:50 PM) *

I'd LOVE to see the Porsche teams switch engines and run that 3.4 V-8 that the Penske P2 car runs in the ALMS!

wont happen. It has to be a production based engine to run in grand am. The only porsche models with a V8 are the cayenne (with a narrow angle V8) and possibly the panamera (a possibility).

Plus the penske engines cost over six figures per rebuild. Nobody in grand am can afford that.

The 58 brumos is doing well now that they ditched the fabcar chassis. They're doing much better with the new one and should be a contender along with AJR and Cheever for the 07 season. Cheever qualified pretty well this past weekend.

did anyone catch the 75 kilo weight penalty the porsches would pick up in GT if they won the race? wink.gif
Scott Carlberg
So then the 5-liter V-8's that the Pontiac teams are running are Corvette engines?

There was a graphic put up on Saturday that made me think there was a chance they could switch.
Of course I can't remember Exactly what it said now, but something like,
IF not this engine, then it could be that engine etc. It wasn't referring to the Porsche teams, it just made me think of 3.4 V-8.

Brumos Porsche has been a LONG time Porsche Dealer, I'm sure they could afford it, with their discount! lol

Did anyone else (you'd have to be a Porsche fan, not just a 914 fan) cringe
when during the post-race interviews, one of the 2nd place 997 drivers said something, regarding the winning mazda, like:
"we'll have to see if something gets done (READ Rule Change) to those mazda's.

HUH? WTF.gif
MattR
QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Mar 5 2007, 11:14 PM) *

Brumos Porsche has been a LONG time Porsche Dealer, I'm sure they could afford it, with their discount! lol

Discount? Heh... looks like someones never dealt with the parts department at PMNA

biggrin.gif
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Mar 5 2007, 11:14 PM) *

So then the 5-liter V-8's that the Pontiac teams are running are Corvette engines?

There was a graphic put up on Saturday that made me think there was a chance they could switch.
Of course I can't remember Exactly what it said now, but something like,
IF not this engine, then it could be that engine etc. It wasn't referring to the Porsche teams, it just made me think of 3.4 V-8.

Did anyone else (you'd have to be a Porsche fan, not just a 914 fan) cringe
when during the post-race interviews, one of the 2nd place 997 drivers said something, regarding the winning mazda, like:
"we'll have to see if something gets done (READ Rule Change) to those mazda's.

HUH? WTF.gif

Scott if I'm not mistaken the Mazda's are 500 lbs. lighter and allowed to run partial tube frame chassis. That's what I thought I heard Dorsey say.
carr914
As a Mad Max fan, I too was disapointed in Papis, especially after Colin Braun put on a driving exhibition. For Max to say that he lost a 22 second lead to traffic would be to suggest that everybody else didn't have any traffic, then to spin, AH..... Come on Max, I know you are better than that.

T.C.
Joe Ricard
The Solstice is running the same engine as the GTO did last year. LS2 Motor. Vettes run LS7
When listening to the in car I was like " hey that ain't no hig whining turbo 4 cylinder".

Mazda runs 3 rotor
Porsche just runs...............
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.