Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sun Visor Repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
swm914
Hi, my "new " '74 914 has the original sun visors. They look nice at a glance but upon touching them it is like they are filled with gravel. They sag a little bit toward the bottom as the gravel is pulled down by gravity. My wife said we could try to make a slit along the top and restuff them. Sounds good but stuff with them what? Some kind of firm foam? How would I reseal the old plastic w/o ruining them. Maybe I should just let them go as they look ok except for the slight sag. (alot of older things sag with age)

I want to check on any experiences and/or get advice on the forum. I also thought a car upholstry shop may have some trick of the trade? Thanks
Steve
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(swm914 @ Mar 5 2007, 12:35 PM) *

Hi, my "new " '74 914 has the original sun visors. They look nice at a glance but upon touching them it is like they are filled with gravel. They sag a little bit toward the bottom as the gravel is pulled down by gravity. My wife said we could try to make a slit along the top and restuff them. Sounds good but stuff with them what? Some kind of firm foam? How would I reseal the old plastic w/o ruining them. Maybe I should just let them go as they look ok except for the slight sag. (alot of older things sag with age)

I want to check on any experiences and/or get advice on the forum. I also thought a car upholstry shop may have some trick of the trade? Thanks
Steve

Steve,

I would suggest that you not do anything unitl April 28th - Hershey swap meet.

These things are readily available, though not always perfect. See if you can find some there. Or, check out ebay - they're there every week. Problem is, you can touch them until you buy them.

If nothing else, and they still function to block they sun - leave 'em alone. That is, unless you're going showtime - and your 914 is pretty nice.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.