Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory 914-6 mount to a 3.2 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
Has anyone put a 3.2 in with a stock mount? Just the mount. I know there are guys with not factory mounts.

Thanks,

Bob
John
QUOTE(burton73 @ Mar 5 2007, 01:53 PM) *

Has anyone put a 3.2 in with a stock mount? Just the mount. I know there are guys with not factory mounts.

Thanks,

Bob

The factory 914-6 engine mount bolts to the front (rear in a taildragger) of a 1987 3.2 engine. I have one in our track car. It's been there for the last 14 years. When I converted that one, we thought that was the way to go.

Upon completion, we wondered why we didn't use a dual pick-up mount like the 911 uses. My recent conversion uses the design we came up with 13 years ago. It is very similar to what the RJ mount looks like, except the part(s) that weld to the firewall is different on mine.

You will need to change the crank pulley to a single groove pulley to use the standard 914-6 mount.

Good luck with it.

John
burton73
John,

Thanks. Looked at your Blog and it answered some questions. What I do see is that your headers have tubing past the flange. Much more than is on the stock 914-6 in that their tubing stops at the flange.

Bob
Eric_Shea
Don't you dare...

(ooooooooooooops, forgot, I was going to shut up now) biggrin.gif
drgchapman
I have just one season on my set up. 10 a/x's and 4 track days. No problems. I drive it hard.

Gary

John
I put the tubing there to keep from blowing the gaskets out. The first season we were doing track events with the first 3.2 conversion, we must have blown out 3-4 gaskets. I looked back at the stock exhaust (which had similar tubing) and installed a set into the headers. This eliminated blown out gaskets once and for all. So I did it on my street car as well.

I don't know that they are 100% required, but I didn't take a chance. I also installed these types of rings between each joint of the exhaust up to the muffler.

I don't know anything about your car. You need to post some pics.
burton73
The car is getting restored. It is a 914-6 number 41 yellow painted shit brown. I got it on EBay in December of last year. Not driven for 15 years GT oil cooler lots of trick stuff. Going to wide body. Have 7s and 9s Fuchs. 2.5 SS Aluminum case,

Bob
brant
Bob,

if you go 3.2, you ought to sell me that 2.5 core motor?

brant
John
So it would seem that you are kind of on the fence with what to do with this car.

How do you plan to use this car?

Is it going to be a competition type race car, an auto-x car, a nice street car?
burton73
Just a nice streetcar. Take it out jam it down the street or to my factory 1 mile from my home or take it up to the mountains a little and back home. 200 miles a year. I only put 50 miles on my 86 Carrera Cab. Last year. With the 914-world group I may go with the guys on some runs. More fun to build it and look at it. At 54 more involver in work and family than race.

Going to this color. Same as my Cab.
Bob
John
In that case, I would sell the 2.5 and go with a 3.2.

Much less finicky.
Johny Blackstain
hijacked.gif sorry Bob- thought I'd ask about your interior again. I know you want "cork" colored leather... have you got any estimates yet as to the cost of the upolstry? Thanks

cool_shades.gif
Eric_Shea
In that case, I would sell the 2.5 and go with a 3.2.

Much less finicky.

Sick, twisted individuals... ohmy.gif

biggrin.gif
burton73
No numbers as I am so far off. The guys next door do full restorations. A 914 is not that hard as compared to other cars. By the way. The owner next door sold a dead stock super nice original 914-6 for $30,000 2 years ago when I first mover here (he said he sent it to Germany). They have cars coming and going all the time from Ferraris to Lamborghinis to American cars. My price for bodywork is $36 Hour and $89. for Mechanical. The good news is I just walk out my front door and walk 100 ft. pay as I go and move the care here to work on the things I want to work on. And will roll it back. I am building the engine. A good deal for me and for them to fill in dead time. A great price in West Los Angeles. They turn out some great looking cars.

Bob
burton73
Dear burton73 (burtonplastics@aol.com),

The following is a notice from eBay Trust & Safety regarding:

Item Number - 300087105176

Item Title - 1987 PORSCHE 911 901 3.2 CARRERA ENGINE

Our records show that you were a bidder or buyer of one or more of this seller's items. We recently removed this seller's active listings and suspended the seller's trading privileges. Due to privacy concerns we cannot share further details about this seller.

It is a sine that I go with the 2.5ss

Bob

Eric_Shea
Sign too biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.