Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory 914-6 Heat exchanger on 3.2 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
A nice fellow at Pelican told me that the factory heat exchangers
Will not fit with out putting different flanges on the tops of them. I have a very nice set that came with my car. If I use the 3.2 engine that I just bought I could cut off the flanges from the Carrera exchangers and weld them to the tops of factory Heat exchangers.
There may be more value in the used Carrera exchangers and I can sell them and get a different flange to weld to the top of my factory Heat exchangers. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bob
John
I heard that they fit. I have never used them (only headers).

I believe that a member here (mikez) may have put a pair on one before he sold it. You should check with him before cutting anything. I know that the 3.2 exhaust uses some sleeve rings to protect the exhaust port gaskets. I installed these rings/pipes in both sets of headers on our 3.2 cars. (perhaps that is what they meant).

The 914-6 heat exchangers MAY have thin flanges, while the 3.2 used thick flanges. In that case, you should be able to swap out the longer studs for shorter ones.

Post up some pictures.
Cap'n Krusty
If you're gonna replace the studs, plan on drilling, threading, and helicoiling 12 holes.
You'll need a fixture, which is NLA. The Cap'n
burton73
I do not think that was it. I think the idea was you cut the Carrera heat exchanger close to the head and then tack weld on the 916-6 heat exchanger there. I am not going to put new studs in. I would put headers on first. I live in Los Angeles but if I decide to go with this engine instead of the rebuilding of the 2.5 s engine the car will be better for someone later if I some day wish to sell it, not that I ever would.

Bob
Eric_Shea
That car is begging for a 2.5 (and original paint) biggrin.gif

That's an extremely early example of a -6

(I'll shut up now...) biggrin.gif
burton73
Eric,

That is my next post, what engine to put in. The 2.5 is not the Original engine. I will have two engines sitting here. The Carrera matches the one at home.

Bob
dry.gif
John
I never had trouble getting the studs out in one piece or destroying threads in those heads.

930 exhaust studs are worse for getting stuck.

I'm sure it's possible, but if you soak them with PB Blaster and are careful, they do come out.

Now I know where Mr Krusty gets his name.
Eric_Shea
The 2.5 is not the Original engine.

I realize that.

Don't listen to me. I'm weird that way. I just think the 2.5 is more the "spirit" of that car wink.gif
burton73
Eric,

Your right. The guy has not returned my email from my auction 10.00 today on the 3.2, I sure he will unless he thinks $4100. was too little for it. He had a positive feedback of 61 with 1 bad from a guy that said he does not respond if the bid is too low on a TV buy. It will be as it was meant to be

Bob

But will the almost perfect heat exchangers fit?

Eric_Shea
But will the almost perfect heat exchangers fit?

On a 2.5...? Sure.

I have a 2.5 and couldn't be happier. It's peaky, loud, fast and absolutely "perfect". (thanks Greg!)

I don't have any issues with it being finicky. It starts, it runs. Yes, it needs to be massaged until it warms up but, that's what my car is.

Doesn't 41 have a cool story behind it? Troutman and others??
Joe Bob
2.0/6 HEs from a 914/6 bolted right on my ride. I noticed more bottom end ooomph....
burton73
Yes Eric, It had the almost perfect heat exchangers on the 2.5 but the question was different. The guy with the 3.2 is at a UPS mailbox in WA and I do not feel good on the deal right now so I am not ready to cut lose with my $4100. He will not take the $500. By Paypal like he said he would. I said we must do am EBay escrow or I will not do it. I will pay for escrow. I will not get screwed out of money. The 2.5 may roar one more time in #41

Bob
sixnotfour
there is alot of people up here can check the guy out before you send money , another person here had a deal go bad with a washington 3.2 ebay person , west seattle.
burton73
Thanks Mike,

I think your car came up in very late December when I was on a cruse ship in the Bahamas with my bid on this car in auction sniper in play. Internet connection was for shit on the ship. If I had been in town I would have driven up there to look at it.

Bob
burton73
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 6 2007, 11:21 AM) *

there is alot of people up here can check the guy out before you send money , another person here had a deal go bad with a washington 3.2 ebay person , west seattle.

Thanks,

If this guy go for the Escrow then he is real. If not than he is fake. Someone from the club could go and look at it but it still does not mean he would send it down. Escrow protects me. His ad is real looking. The leaks down numbers are different than the one he sold one week ago.

You have to be so careful. he is in SEATTLE, WA 98116 UPS drop box

Bob
burton73
Dear burton73 (burtonplastics@aol.com),

The following is a notice from eBay Trust & Safety regarding:

Item Number - 300087105176

Item Title - 1987 PORSCHE 911 901 3.2 CARRERA ENGINE

Our records show that you were a bidder or buyer of one or more of this seller's items. We recently removed this seller's active listings and suspended the seller's trading privileges. Due to privacy concerns we cannot share further details about this seller.

It is a sine that I go with the 2.5ss

Bob

seanery
2.5s make glorious sounds! If I had the patience, I'd have a hot 2.5 built for whitey. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(mikez @ Mar 6 2007, 11:00 AM) *

2.0/6 HEs from a 914/6 bolted right on my ride. I noticed more bottom end ooomph....

agree.gif olav runs factory 914/6 HE's on his 3.2L and i don't recall him having to cut/weld anything ...

bye1.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.