Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head Light Aiming
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2-OH!
Is there an old thread describing the proceedure for aiming the headlites anywhere in the archives...I've tried "Search" and get 25 pages of stuff but no proceedure, measurements, etc...

Or does anyone have a proceedure...

Thanks,

2-OH!
Joe Bob
QUOTE(2-OH! @ Mar 5 2007, 02:31 PM) *

Is there an old thread describing the proceedure for aiming the headlites anywhere in the archives...I've tried "Search" and get 25 pages of stuff but no proceedure, measurements, etc...

Or does anyone have a proceedure...

Thanks,

2-OH!

Fully charged battery, dark garage or sun down, white wall, turn on lights, pull the plastic surrounds (I think).....adjust via the two screws....look at wall, make corrections......
Eric_Shea
I'm not near a book but someone is.

What mike said but... make sure you're on a level surface. They need to be 25' from the white wall. There are tape marks you need to put on the wall and aim to. There should be no need to remove the covers "HOWEVER" you may want to so you can lube the screws and make sure they're not crusty-rusty. They can bind and strip the heads.
watsonrx13
Eric, are you suggesting that the car be 25' from the wall and the right light should point directly ahead and the left light should converge at the same point on the wall as the right light?

Should these lights converge at the same level as the headlight height at the car?

-- Rob
Eric_Shea
No... the manual has the instructions.

There should be a couple tape marks on the wall.

I just did my H1's and there was another line 6" higher for the high beams. I don't think there is that level of detail here but, two basic x's on the wall directly in front of each light at a certain level on the wall.
Eric_Shea
If nobody hits this with a reply I'll check the manual when I get home.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 5 2007, 07:04 PM) *

If nobody hits this with a reply I'll check the manual when I get home.

Eric, I've got the Haynes manual out and in Chapter 9/Electrical systems, section 17 - headlamp - aim adjustment

Special equiqment is required to check the alignment of the hadlamp beams, and the job should therefore be entrusted to your VW/Porsche main dealer or a suitably equipped auto-electrical shop.

What other manual are you going to check?

-- Rob
SirAndy
from the owners manual ...

914Sixer
This is a headlight aiming tool that I bought at a FLAPS years ago. The directions are on the inside. The only drawback of this is you can not use it on H-4 lights because you must have the three posts found on stock headlights. Simple solution is to use stocks to aim and then change them out to whatever you want. I will be happy to loan this to any one that wants to use it for the postage to and from.
LowGT
I've adjusted by the book for several cars, but in the end I usually drive, adjust, drive, adjust... until I get them where I want them. It seems with the car lowered and different tire sizes, those charts don't always get the light where it should be.
Eric_Shea
Andy got it.

Again, I just did my H1's in the 911 a couple months back so it's "fairly" fresh. Same basic drawing in the 911 factory manual.

Mike was right about the trim ring but... for the life of me I don't know why they request that. They have holes in the trim rings to get to the adjusters. confused24.gif
eg914
here is a link to a informative lighting site. These sure look like good aiming instruction to me. It has the various measurements and samples of the lines you need to put on the wall.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

I haven't tried it yet myself, as I am very lazy and the days are getting longer.
Matt Romanowski
If your car is set up really low, don't bother with the lines. You can aim them much higher and still not blind anyone. Hell, with my car I can drive around with the hi beams on and no one complains.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.