Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head & Neck Restraint Systems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VegasRacer
Have any of you had any experience with any of the different styles of head and neck restraint systems?
Hans? Isaac? Simpson? Hutchens? Wright? G-Force?
VARA is making them mandatory starting in 2005.
Just trying to do my homework and looking for any feedback.
Thanks.
VegasRacer
Bump. Hello? Somebody? Anybody?
seanery
since no one else jumped onboard. The simpson looks too, uh, complicated for me. I'm not familiar with too many of the others. If money were no object, and maybe it shouldn't be, I'd get the HANS device. It's pricey, but it's proven, time & time again, too.
ChrisFoley
ISAAC is my first choice. I haven't spent any money yet, but I am impressed with their method of restraint, the ease of use, and the fact that one of the company owners uses the equipment himself in SCCA road racing.
givory
Veagasracer, you might inquire about the the most recent VARA deliberations on this matter. Apparently, two weeks ago at the Vintage Motorsports Council AGM, VARA was asked to consider re-wording this initiative to say something like "strongly recommend". I think most of the other clubs indicated they will go this route. Not that I'm trying to dissuade you from keeping your head attached to your shoulders...!
Gavin
VARAC
seanery
I just checked out the ISAAC. It's an interesting design. Price is less than a Hans. It could make an interesting choice. I'd like to talk to someone who uses one or rent one before buying.
machina
I am no expert, but the only system that has been extensively crash tested is the HANS. I believe Mercedes Benz was involved which means big dollars spent.

If you study the kinematics of the various systems, only the hans prevents compression of the upper spine. By supporting the helmet at a point above the shoulders, the g-forces are translated directly forward. The other systems act as a lever which translates the impact force forward and down, not an ideal situation.

The HANS is bulky but they have improved that, it is also the most expensive but I think it is worth the money.

No, I don't have one yet.

just my 2cents,
dr
Tony C
NASCAR has a video from their test of the Hans, Hutchinson, and another restraint system. The Hans is the only one that made a difference. I don't have the link anymore, but I am sure that you can find it via Google. It is prettty amazing. I have a Hans on order that should be here shortly.

-tony
VegasRacer
Thanks guys. Keep that feedback comming.

I have seen some of them in person. The Isaac and the Simpson look like they were designed by the Marquis de Sade. The Hans certainly has one of the best reputations. I am waiting to talk to more users first had before I decide. I just wish the price for that little bit of carbon fiber and padding plus some webbing and two bolts was not so high ($1200).

Just like my roll cage, fuel cell, fire system, nomex suit, helmet, etc., I pray that I never have to find out if all this expensive safety stuff really works. I have no doubt that if I ever actually 'use' any of these items, I will think they were the best investments I ever made.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.