Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 case differences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I am going to build a 2.0 motor with a little help from Jake and Len. I had a 71 1.7 complete motor to use the case. I spent 5 evenings disassembling the motor and cleaning the case to use. This afternoon I was admiring how clean the outside of the case was, so it was time to start on the inside then it hit, WTF! One side of the case has the U shaped shelf for the oil baffel and the other side does not! I took some pictures of the halfs. Has anyone else found this ?

I have an additional 73 EA case 1.7. It looks like I will be pulling it out of the parts car this weekend and starting over.
davep
It could be a transition engine using up case halves without the rib, along with the new style with the rib. Knowing the engine number would be very interesting. It would be most unusual to have case halves from two separate motors, but not impossible. Jake might want to add his thoughts as to that possibility.

If you want the baffle, I guess you do have to start over.
914Sixer
It was an Unstamped case. I almost sure it had never been apart. POs have been known to do weird stuff but I feel certain that this came from the factory??
davep
Unstamped would tend to indicate a reman engine from the VW Canada facility in Scarborough.
Bleyseng
It should have a case number stamped on the flywheel area like 245 on both halves or its a reman.
914Sixer
OK, I checked the case halfs at the top of the case by the flywheel and the match. Both say 742, so the case halfs of the case are correct. Ideally, this should be the same engine.
davep
Okay, so it is a transition case, half old & half new style.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.