Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Targa latch cups
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahdoman
I need to remove the targa latch cups so I can paint but don't want to break 'em. Any ideas as to how to do this?
TROJANMAN
Mine just pop out
You can also push a bit on them from inside the engine bay
johnlush
Heat, within reason, will be your friend. If I remember, there is a groove in the cup that needs to pop over the lip of the sheet metal. Get the plastic nice and warm and see if you can carefully pry it off from the top.
jagalyn
The targa latch cups in my car have yellowed and are pretty black and dirty. Does anybody know how they can be cleaned up?
markb
Brute force & ignorance works well for me.

biggrin.gif

Yes, that's a joke. smile.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Mar 5 2007, 07:06 PM) *

The targa latch cups in my car have yellowed and are pretty black and dirty. Does anybody know how they can be cleaned up?

Use a heat gun or blow drier and heat cups up (careful they are thin) to remove.

Use a mild cleanser, no chemicals, and elbow grease.
PRS914-6
I paid $1.28 for brand new ones right from Porsche. Not worth the trouble to clean....
andys
I have yet to try to remove one, but it seems to me that if you heat the cup, it will expand making it more difficult to remove. Putting a couple of ice cubes with water in the cup will shrink it to the point that it just might pop out...........Of course this is all just a bunch of useless theory if the heat gun works.

Andys
jd74914
QUOTE(andys @ Mar 5 2007, 11:45 PM) *

I have yet to try to remove one, but it seems to me that if you heat the cup, it will expand making it more difficult to remove. Putting a couple of ice cubes with water in the cup will shrink it to the point that it just might pop out...........Of course this is all just a bunch of useless theory if the heat gun works.

Andys

I think the idea it that heat makes then pliable so they don't crack smile.gif
boxstr
Your local PORSCHE dealer can still get the targa latch cups. While you are in their renew the top holders.
CCLIN914NATION
TINCAN914
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Mar 5 2007, 07:44 PM) *

Mine just pop out
You can also push a bit on them from inside the engine bay

That's how I got mine out the other day..
Matt Romanowski
white wall cleaner
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.