Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber three-barrel carburetors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
I have Webbers 40 that were sitting for 10 years and are stuck, I have them off of the car and have tried WD40 to un stick them. I am not forcing them. Right now I am very easy because I do not want to scar anything. Does any one have magic formal to open these up and who does a good job on rebuilding Webbers? This site says the Motor Meister is no good on engine rebuilding but who does a good job on cleaning Webbers?

Bob

Eric_Shea
Go directly to jail and do not pass...

NO MOTOR MEISTER! wink.gif

Try Harry... did you talk to his son? If you want to try and un-stick them, a gallon of Gunk Carb. cleaner is about $20 clams these days.

(Try Harry)

E.
Eric_Shea
(one b BTW) wink.gif
johnlush
There used to be and maybe still is a product made by Berryman. Available in lots of auto parts places. Nasty, stinky, prolly toxic to the point of altering your genomes but it really makes carburetor parts clean!

But I'm with Eric - if they are gunked up to the point that the butterflies are stuck you are for sure looking at a complete rebuild and may be way ahead by sending them to someone who is equipped to do that as well as checking/replacing throttle shaft bushings, etc.
burton73
When I did some searching on our site I found Mike was not approving of Galen Bieker my old skiing buddy because of things getting lost over there. That was the way it was 25 years ago so my thinking is nothing has changed with his dad and time. I need someone like you Eric, someone that can fix my Webbers like you are doing my brakes.

Bob
Rusty
When I yanked apart my carbs, I bought a gallon container of the Gunk solvent. It came with a tray (with small holes to drain the fluid) to soak the small parts.

Disassemble them as much as you can without forcing anything, and let the stuff soak for a while. Even if you don't get them unstuck, you'll help clean them up for your rebuilder and save yourself some labor. smile.gif

Also, for just the throttle shafts, you might try some Marvel Mystery Oil. It's good stuff, too.

I know that Gint sent his Webers out a while back, but I don't remember who he sent them to.
Flycut
QUOTE(burton73 @ Mar 5 2007, 08:11 PM) *

I have Webbers 40 that were sitting for 10 years and are stuck, I have them off of the car and have tried WD40 to un stick them. I am not forcing them. Right now I am very easy because I do not want to scar anything. Does any one have magic formal to open these up and who does a good job on rebuilding Webbers? This site says the Motor Meister is no good on engine rebuilding but who does a good job on cleaning Webbers?

Bob

Send them straight to Art Tharen, Or soak them for Days in any Penetrating oil(Submersed) I have had great success doing this.
Eric_Shea
I need someone like you Eric, someone that can fix my Webbers like you are doing my brakes.

One "B". wink.gif

I think I'd give Harry a shot. Les at Airpower still uses him. I thought Harry was fine with my MFI throttle bodies and stacks. I was patient but, very satisfied with the results.

There is a guy out East who does Webers and MFI but I can't think of his name. Matt ???

One quick post on the boards at:

www.early911sregistry.org

would probably net you the results you desire wink.gif
Lightweight_911
Eric - you're probably thinking of Matt Blast @ Eurometrix:

http://www.eurometrix.ws/
r_towle
I second that vote for Eurometrix.

He is THE MAN for these carbs.
I think he makes new butterflies, reams out the shaft and re-bushes it...

All this work, and more is based upon special jigs and machines, so its not something that any shop can do easily, though I am sure there are some.

Rich
Eric_Shea
Eric - you're probably thinking of Matt Blast @ Eurometrix:

Indeed... consider my feeble memory "jogged" wink.gif
burton73
I have a call into them now. They look like they can do it from their web site and with Rich’s vote and Eric’s memory Jogged this should work.

Thanks,

Bob
Joe Bob
Eurometrix.....screw the Biekers, MM, and their little dog, too....
Aaron Cox
art thraen is also the shizzle
burton73
Mike,
I spoke to Matt and he is 12 weeks out. That is fine as the work on the Engine will take me a long time and 12 weeks will go by fast. At least I trust him. He says that if he says 12 weeks it may be 13 but not more. I will soak them, as that is what takes the time. Not force them. I hope they work so I do not need to get a set of the new style Carbs that are out for $3000. I will take it slow.

Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.