Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone remember Doc & Cy's?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
I found a ragged copy of their catalog. Whatever happened to them? I haven't heard anything about those guys in years.

A check of docandcys.com... dead site. Were they ever online?
Van914
Lawrence,
Yes they were on line at one time. Not a very helpful site. I had met Cy a few times and bought and sold parts with them. I think they are closed now. Maybe Sean would know more as he is in Indy.
Van914
type47
yes. i bought parts from them when they came to the pca potomac swap meets and hershey swap meets. i also recently threw away one of their catalogs i came across in a pile of papers. this may not be the true story, but i thought i heard that one of their employees ran away with some funds and they couldn't recover from the loss.
mudfoot76
I had been taking my car to an ex-employee of theirs (some knew him as 'Bobo'). He never said much about the downfall, but he did seem bitter about that situation.....
rick 918-S
QUOTE(mudfoot76 @ Mar 6 2007, 05:28 AM) *

I had been taking my car to an ex-employee of theirs (some knew him as 'Bobo'). He never said much about the downfall, but he did seem bitter about that situation.....

Most former employees know more than their boss.... blink.gif laugh.gif

Yes, I bought lots of stuff from them. Both 356 and 914 stuff. Seems like a life time ago now.
rwjames
They are closed now. I last visited their shop in Indy about 4-5 years ago. They had a swap meet and get together on the Saturday before the F1 race. Purchased a few items from them and then we went to the track to watch qualifying and the Porsche Cup race.

Great weekend. You can't beat, kicking around used 914 parts, watching Porsche Cup cars duel it out while sucking down a Fosters oil can and eating a turkey leg. I believe that was the Cup race when one 911 drove up the back of another car at the frenzied start and went airborne. He landed back on the track, kept going and finished the race. Talk about durability. I don't see how he didn't destroy his suspension.

I'm not sure what the story is with Doc & Cy's, but I'll try to find out what happend from a long time friend and customer of theirs.
seanery
I was there the weekend that rwjames is speaking of. Engman was there, too. We invited Doc & Cy to the 1st Fall Foliage Run (2003), but that was about the time that the Porsche business was closing. They were nice guys, it's a shame to have them gone.
73Phoenix20
A fair number of the refurbishment parts that went into my silver 73 2.0 came from Doc and Cy's of Indy...

Once the car was finished, I never tracked them farther.

Too bad to hear they are no more!
rwjames
The official word is they closed the business because it wasn't making money, due to overhead costs and other reasons. Plus, Doc Keys decided he could make more money with his architectural salvage and antiques business which was booming and he decided to close the parts business.

There are rumors of money missing, but the overall reason seams to be lack of profit versus effort put into it.
GWN7
QUOTE(rwjames @ Mar 6 2007, 08:08 AM) *

The official word is they closed the business because it wasn't making money, due to overhead costs and other reasons. Plus, Doc Keys decided he could make more money with his architectural salvage and antiques business which was booming and he decided to close the parts business.

There are rumors of money missing, but the overall reason seams to be lack of profit versus effort put into it.

I thought there was illness involved from one of the owners and they were planning on opening in a different location with the existing stock......or was that another supplier I'm thinking of that is no more?
Rusty
Damn... what a shame. They were such good guys to deal with. I got a lot of parts for my first couple of 914s from them.
indydad
I was there that weekend Sean and rwjames was. It was a fun time there and the F! was fantastic. I have bought serval items from them in the past and they were very patient and helpful.
I bought some french doors from their building salvage store last fall. That place is neat! If you are interested in old houses you have to go there. I talked to one of the workers there about the Porsche parts they used to have and he said if i need anything they could look.
Go to Google Earth and zoom to 39d 48m 32.86s N, 86d 11m 12.36s W. That's a 356 and there are at least 2 others there.
Old Dad in INDY
914forme
The Doc in Doc and Cy was Dr. Richard Johnson, the writter of the 914 Guide ot Authentication.

Doc also was involved with Tweeks.

rwjames
From what I understand, Doc does still have some Porsche parts. If you need something and live in the Indy area, you may check with them at the salvage store.

And yes they do have some pretty cool stuff in the architectural salvage store. I have seen complete commercial bars probably extracted from some extinct watering hole, entire Victorian staircases, and tons of hardware no longer available new.
Engman
Yep I remember that weekend Sean - pretty cool.

I have benn in the back numerous times - they had storage racks full of used parts - as well as a selection of new stuff. About a 70 x 100 area full of racks with used parts.

Great guy.

M
Joe Bob
Didn't they have a low bucks catalog printed on newsprint?
cooltimes
a 2003 post at Pelican discussing Doc & Cy's

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=132995

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.