Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 Point Harnesses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Finally scored a harness bar for the car and now need to find a decent 5 point harness. I definitely want the cam-lock style but don't know exactly what will work best.

Are there certain sizes models that fit our cars better than others?

I also want something I can attach to the bar rather than bolt to the firewall.
Aaron Cox
i love the M&R harnesses i got. trek has the same ones....

D-ringing em to the bar is half ass.... ideally you bolt it to the firewall.
woobn8r
Don't discount the "quick release" so hastily...

If you are racing...some cam locks have been known to stick due to non metal parts in the mechanism binding....exaggerated by heat (so you dont want it near fire). If you are just doing AutoX or DE then you should be okay with a cam lock.

Quick release is a bit less user friendly but you can get out quick...

on any harness check the stiching by the mounting points and latch mechanism. look for a "box" stiching with a "zig zag" patten inside for strength. 3" belts are widely approved for racing....

Most harness' are adjustable and can work with a variety of set ups...stay away from "y" harness'...a good 5 point will work fine. You can decide whether you want a bolt in or clip in (at the bottom)....the top should wrap around the bar and be secured with a fastener.

You may wish to check out the SCCA rules on their website.
Aaron Cox
to elaborate further....

clip in's are just that. they clip onto eyebolts... makes it easy to install and remove.

allan, i have a few eyebolts left over, they screw directly into the lower seatbelt bounts (but the inner driverside must be clearanced so it doesnt hit the shift rod.)
Allan
Anybody have a picture of the clip in style?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Headrage @ Mar 6 2007, 01:58 PM) *

Anybody have a picture of the clip in style?

cool_shades.gif
Allan
So you have the harness shoulder straps looped around the bar?
So.Cal.914
Yes. That way if you do experiance...rapid deceleration, as you go forward

and the straps are pulled tight they don't press down and compress your spine or

tear your rotators.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 6 2007, 07:56 PM) *

and the straps are pulled tight they don't press down and compress your spine or

tear your rotators.

Kinda like Aarons will.
Dave_Darling
I personally recommend against a five-point belt in a stock seat, unless you have a hole in the proper location in the seat for the sub strap. I prefer the six-point harness, which has a "dual sub strap". You sit on the dual sub, which then attaches to the buckle.

Some people feel that running the sub strap around the front of the seat is acceptable. I do not--I feel that having the latch twist and point into your gut is a Bad Thing.

Latch-lock tends to be cheaper than cam-lock. A bit less convenient.

Crow Enterprises makes good belts for not a ton of money.

--DD
DanT
www.IOPORTracing.com

Norcal company for years. The owner Ken is a racer himself and knows his products. He sells cam locks, quick releases, 5 and 6 point systems.
He used to race 914s and knows what works with what.
check them out.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 6 2007, 10:36 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 6 2007, 07:56 PM) *

tear your rotators.

Kinda like Aarons will.

wtf?

i have a harness bar dude... just like yours.

the spine compression is if the belts are mounted below your shoulder level... thus the harness bar to get em above your shoulders....
Andyrew
Out of curiosity.. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried the 4 point harnesses on ebay.. They have the standard buckle (easy for non racing/daily driving..)... Probably are safer than the 30 year old belts.. and probably wont get much hastle from the cops because they are 2in,standard buckle's... but give you better restraint...

Heres an example..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVERSAL-4...1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone seen them?

Andrew
TimT
A bunch of good harness good harness mfgs out there... Look for FIA certs as SFI certified harnesses are only good (in competition) for 2 years. FIA harnesses 5 years.

Try to get pull up lap belts, makes it much easier to cinch the laps down.

The shoulder harnesses can be secured to the harness bar by wrapping around the bar..

The sub belt should really go though the seat and be secured behind the plane of your spine

lots of good harness mounting info here

this is published by Schroth for mounting there harnesses, but the info is valid for mounting other harnesses.

BTW Schroth harnesses are uber nice if a bit pricey
TimT
forgot a pic

how to wrap the harness around the harness bar

Allan
Excellent info.

I do plan on having the seat modified for the anti-submarine belt.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 6 2007, 11:12 PM) *

Out of curiosity.. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried the 4 point harnesses on ebay.. They have the standard buckle (easy for non racing/daily driving..)...

In general, a four-point belt will tend to ride up so it no longer is across your hips, low, where it is most effective. That is a large part of what the sub strap(s) is/are for. I don't think I'd use that kind of setup.

Remember, PE Parts will sell you fresh refurb'ed seat belts for your 914! Those aren't 30+ years old.

--DD
DanT
Another point to consider is if you plan on doing any PCA events in the future.

In 2008 it will be mandatory to have a race style seat that has slots for guiding the shoulder and sub belts. This is if you plan on using 5 or 6 point harnesses.

Stock seats will be required to be used only with stock (3pt ) belts.

So a modified stock seat is OK for this year, but next year you will need a race style seat to use with your 5 or 6 point harnesses.

So I wouldn't spend a lot of money modifying a stock seat....spend the money on the race seat.

Also remember with PCA DE rules the passenger and drivers restraint systems must be equal or better for the passenger seat.

in other words in the future you will need to have stock on both seats or race seat and harnesses on both seats.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.