Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Preserving the front end
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
Those who have owned their 914s a long time, a least long enough to have washed it once, know full well that the detritus that's blown across the low, smooth front of a cars can wreck havoc on its painted surfaces. Sand, pebbles and small stones, twigs and small branches, and the discarded flotsam that lies along the right-of-way have a penchant for becoming airborne after being vacuumed up by the passing vortex of a 3 ton SUV or semi.

In the interests of preserving as much paint as possibe and minimizing the effects of the errant airborne stone, what is everybody using, if anything? "Bra", clear mask, removable vinyl sheet, other?

For many years I used a "bra" that really protected the front from the usual chips and dings that occured while driving, although where it fastened across the front fenders caused some very minor paint marring after repeated use. After a road trip was completed, off it came. Around town, I almost never used it. After 30+ years, however, the hood had its share of road wear. With a total repaint about to commence, my thoughts are beginning to focus on the forthcoming 250+ mile road trip home.

Thoughts, suggestions and feedback will be very much appreciated.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 6 2007, 01:50 PM) *

Those who have owned their 914s a long time, a least long enough to have washed it once, know full well that the detritus that's blown across the low, smooth front of a cars can wreck havoc on its painted surfaces. Sand, pebbles and small stones, twigs and small branches, and the discarded flotsam that lies along the right-of-way have a penchant for becoming airborne after being vacuumed up by the passing vortex of a 3 ton SUV or semi.
Thoughts, suggestions and feedback will be very much appreciated.

Poetry thumb3d.gif

I used a bra on my 10 hr journey home after my repaint. Be sure it's secure so it doesn't flap in the wind & mess anything up. Take it off when you get home, wash it & the car & leave it off till you need it. My 2 cents.

cool_shades.gif
Pat Garvey
Other than the fact that they're grossly ugly, bras do have a beneficial effect. Provided that the undersides are kept clean & straps put in the proper places, you'll probably be OK for bringing the car home.

Watch out for the areas that fit around the side marker lights. These can get snug enough to pop off the side markers. Once again, get the strap fitment right on.

Boy, they ARE ugly! But you only have 250 miles. Keep you head low, so no one recognizes you - Oh, I forgot, you're 6'4" - hard to hide in a 914.
jd74914
I saw a magnetic bra on a car the other day. It was cut by the owner I think, since I've never seen one in stores, but it didn't look too bad. I have also heard good things about the clear spray-on bras. I think someone used on last year for the RRC (or at least some driving event like that).

The other thing you could always do is tape the entire front end in blue painters tape like the VW guys do who have to travel a ways to H20Fest.

With any of these methods (bra, magnets, tape) I would be a little worried about messing up your paint since it'll still be new/soft.

IPB Image
mrgreenjeans
[quote name='1970 Neun vierzehn' date='Mar 6 2007, 02:50 PM' post='871442']

In the interests of preserving as much paint as possibe and minimizing the effects of the errant airborne stone, what is everybody using, if anything? "Bra", clear mask, removable vinyl sheet, other?

For many years I used a "bra" that really protected the front from the usual chips and dings that occured while driving, although where it fastened across the front fenders caused some very minor paint marring after repeated use. After a road trip was completed, off it came. Around town, I almost never used it. After 30+ years, however, the hood had its share of road wear. With a total repaint about to commence, my thoughts are beginning to focus on the forthcoming 250+ mile road trip home.

If you use the bra.....bring some extra cotton diapers or old well washed towels, (but not to the point of having hardened nubbies on the surface.....just still soft and useable). In the contact areas, especially around the front and over the top of the fender lines, and over the area of the flat trunk deck, where a flapping could occur at speed. Well placed soft towels or cloth diapers work well in giving an extra layer of protection and also help fill out the looseness of bras after they've been used awhile.
Like 7th graders trying for that full maidenform look......er Victorias secret pose.

After about a month of curing on our newly painted car, I proceeded to re-attach the front and rear bumbers, and was amazed at the still soft quality to the paint. Where the surfaces mated, one could see the paint actually move a little.

Anyone try the spray on goop with any success ? The kind you wash away?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.