Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fresh Air Box & Grill Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I'm trying to finish up the little stuff prior to painting my car and the fresh air box grill under the cowl looks like crap.

I would really like to pull it out and clean it up but, IIRC it's a real pain to do.

Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, can it be done with the tank in the car?
tdgray
I don't remember it being that bad of a job.

I did have the tank out though so don't know about otherwise.

BTW... I painted mine with some vinyl / plastic paint turned out nice.
Aaron Cox
2 screws. on eon each side. it doesnt require tank removal i dont think... but its way easier with it out the way.....
2-OH!
Sorry, tank must come out, no other way...vinyl paint mentioned above, works wonders...Wears well too...I bead blasted mine and then sprayed before re-install...

2-OH!
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(2-OH! @ Mar 6 2007, 02:33 PM) *

Sorry, tank must come out, no other way...vinyl paint mentioned above, works wonders...Wears well too...I bead blasted mine and then sprayed before re-install...

2-OH!

agree.gif

Tank must come out. Also be careful removing the drain hoses. It is easy to break the drain tubes off.
Doug Leggins
Taking the air box out is easy. Putting it back in is not so easy. I struggled getting mine back in. I had to walk away from it 3 or 4 times before I was able to get it installed. I don't know what the trick was other than getting the alignment just right.

I painted mine with Krylon Fusion paint which is for plastic. It has held up well for over a year so far.

Mark makes a good point about the drain tubes being fragile. I broke one off of the first air box that I painted. Was much more careful on the second box.
Allan
Okay, went out to my parts car and pulled the box for practice. No big deal.

Anybody know if you can still buy the rubber seal that attaches the grill to the box?
Aaron Cox
bruce makes the seal.......

NLA from porsche.
i have a spare airbox outta my car... (headers)
McMark
Get Bruce's seal. I have one. It works great and is made out of a better material. PM GWN7.
william harris
I agree with Doug. Putting it back in, especially while the grill and seal remain where they are supposed to be is a real PITA. I bailed and got Rich Towle to put mine in. biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
If you have an OSH Harware store nearby, they sell the exact size of ribbed hosing. It in the gadening section and labeled " Irrigation Hose" I've used it on the back and getting ready to re-do the front
Allan
Okay, I pulled my tank yesterday but have found that the box hits the bracket for the fuel tank strap and won't come out. headbang.gif

The front cover on the box also popped off and I can't see how it is held on.

And, how do you get the stinking cable off?
jim_hoyland
How about removing the fresh air box entirely and installing an oil cooler there ? That area vents to the ground, seems like a few minor mods would make this ideal ? popcorn[1].gif
Tobra
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 15 2007, 09:31 AM) *

How about removing the fresh air box entirely and installing an oil cooler there ? That area vents to the ground, seems like a few minor mods would make this ideal ? popcorn[1].gif

that would likely be a very effective solution, high pressure area at base of windshield, that is why they put the cowl induction setups on cars.

want ventilation in mine so when I paint it will R&R
Allan
Aaron?
Allan
see next post... biggrin.gif
Allan
Ron?
drunk.gif
Allan
Today would be a really good day to get some help being that today is the day the painter is here..... biggrin.gif
sww914
I wish I could help, all the ones I've pulled were for race prep so I smashed the shit out of them. icon_bump.gif
toon1
Just pulled mine yesterday. The cable has a snap clip, if you get a light and look under the box you can see how it comes off. The bolt that holds the cable end is a 7mm. there are two 10mm bolts on the side and two 8mm bolts on the bottom that holds the motor assembly to the upper half.

It is easier to remove the two 8mm bolts, remove the motor assembly and then remove the upper half after.

Check the operation of the motor before you take it apart and see how it works, mine barely worked.

The bottom half is split into two halfs, held together by ring clips, 6, I think. remove all the clips and the halfs will come apart. Mine was full of leaves and dirt.
The motor and the plastic fan assem. will come out together.

I seperated the motor from the plastic fan, this is tricky, here is a trick. get some rolls of tape and slip them over the motor and tap on the part of the shaft that patrudes through the bottom of the plastic fan and it will separate the motor from the fan.

I took the motor apart and cleaned the comm. , brushes and greased the shafts and the orbital bearings.

I reassembled the motor(tricky )and put everything back together and it worked great.

BTW..........If you have the airbox out, take care of the Wiper assem. too, it won't take long, I did all mine in a few hours.

Keith

ThinAir
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 6 2007, 08:05 PM) *

Get Bruce's seal. I have one. It works great and is made out of a better material. PM GWN7.

Is Bruce his handle here? Does he sell through the classifieds? A link or contact info would be great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.