Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tranny shack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ppickerell
I have a stock 73 1.7. Which tranny do I have? side or tail? I am having a 2.0 block rebuilt. Will this bolt right up to my tranny? Should I rebuild my tranny before installing new motor? It shifts reasonable well with some grinding from 2nd to first. What does it cost to rebuild these trannies?
Brad Roberts
It should be a sideshift and yes it will bolt up.

With all new parts for 1-2 it can run you a grand. The labor isnt that bad.. but the parts are real high on price.

Oh.. engine looks good. One cylinder had a serious leak. Other than that.. good solid core engine.

For some reason.. someone had installed a 1.7 injector in the number one hole (not good)

Heads go to machine shop next Monday. Pics to come of the teardown.

B
Bleyseng
You should have a side shift tranny unless its a really early rare 73 model. The 2.0L will bolt right up without any problems.
Rebuilt trannys start at $750 and go up in price depending on what is done. The new parts are killers $$$$$ from Porsche.
At the bare minimum replace the syncros on first and second gears which isn't too expensive to fix the downshifting grinding.

Geoff
Brad Roberts
I need to end this now.

"Rebuilt" tranny's dont exist. "used parts" tranny's Do exist.

It would run close to 2k dollars to "Rebuild" a tranny.

Different people seem to have different definitions for "rebuilt"

A rebuilt engine is expected to have all new bearings.. all new bushings.. rebuilt heads.

For some reason... people dont think this way with tranny's.

Not ragging on you Geoff... just want the record straight.

You CANNOT "rebuild" a tranny for 750$ It shows up with maybe 1-2 new parts and the rest will be "good" used parts.

B
ppickerell
Interesting about the dead hole. The guy at GPR gave me a guarantee with the motor but no matter. How about a recommendation of a reputable Bay area tranny shop?
ppickerell
So I assume if it shifts fine except for grind downshifting from 2nd to first that the prudent thing would be have the syncros done and thats it?
redshift
My newest side shifter was north of $2k.

M
Brad Roberts
If it grinds.. it probably needs sliders/syncros/dog teeth for 1st/2nd.

First gear slider is close to 300$ by itself.

Sorry for my rant earlier.. I'm just tired of pulling apart so-called "rebuilt" boxes after 3k miles and seeing old parts that wore out because they where close to the end of their life when they where installed as "good used" parts.

Do it right. Do it one time. Use new parts and enjoy a nice tranny that shifts great for another 100k miles.

This is part of the reason why 914's get such a bad wrap around shop's... Dont be cheap. We dont install "good used" brake pads when we do a brake job. Dont install used parts into tranny's.

b
Brad Roberts
Oh.. I build tranny's. LOL

So does club member "Red Beard" in Sand Diego.

B
ppickerell
Who to send it to in the bay area?
Brad Roberts
I can do it (quickly).. We are starting to knock out some of the bigger projects. I have 2 other tranny's I need to build.. so.. I can do yours while the engine machine work is being done.

I can deliver both or get the tranny to you when its done (it will be done long before the engine is done)

B
redshift
Brad is the obvious choice... he could do it right now, instead of bird-dogging threads to reply..

smile.gif

M
Britain Smith
I will be traveling up to Brad's shop tomorrow for the Thanksgiving break...if you want, you can bring it by my place tonight and I can run it up there. I am not sure if he will get it done during the break, but when it is done I will bring it back...you will have to touch base with Brad on this one.

I live in Santa Clara which is a bit closer than going all the way to Novato.

-Britain
Brad Roberts
It is actually about the same distance straight out 580 to 101 from Pleasanton.

Thanks for offering to bring it up Brit..

B
ppickerell
Britian, Thank you very much for the offer to haul (I love this club!), but it is still in the car! Brad, my thought was to drive the car to your shop when you are ready and I will pay you to remove the 1.7 (which runs great by the way!) and go through the tranny at the same time prior to installing the rebuilt mill. I did not realize you messed with trannies also.
Brad Roberts
The only thing I dont do is body work (and I have a guy for that).

We could build your tranny and leave the 1.7 in it so you can drive it until the 2.0 is done.

It would take about 8 hours total (clean/remove/disassemble/reassemble/install).

It's hard to "quote" a tranny until you crack it open.. but the time involved is the same no matter how deep you have to go into the tranny.

B
redshift
QUOTE(ppickerell @ Nov 26 2003, 06:44 PM)
I did not realize you messed with trannies also.

huh.gif

Brad will do anything for money.

M
Red-Beard
Did I hear my name???

I completely concur. You cannot remanufacture a 914 tranny for $750. To do one "right" requires between $2500 and $3000 in parts alone.

Ask me how I know....I'm putting the blond's engine back in this weekend and I'm also assembling the tranny so it can handle the added HP. I'm putting in brand new 1st gear, 2nd gear and 3rd gear soft parts. Parts set me back $150 for the synchros, $330 for 1st gear slider, $175 for 2nd/3rd slider and $300 for 3 sets of dogteeth, $30 new seal kit...total...Just under $1000. And I haven't touched 4th/5th or any of the bearings!

I can, for $750, inspect and assemble a 914 tranny with good used parts, complete with a new seal kit. And I'm totally upfront with that. However...914 owners are notoriously cheap. They won't even pay $750...

It all depends on what you want to do with the tranny. If you build a monster engine smash.gif and you don't build a monster tranny to go with it, you are an idiot. wavey.gif

My next big dollar spend is replacing my suspension bushings with Muellers and then probably a Rennshift.

And then I need a little chassis stiffening, a paint job, and some goddamn driving lessons... headbang.gif
Brad Roberts
Thanks Red for speaking up.

The 914 owners "cheapness" will be paid for buy all the 914 enthusiest's as they buy these "cheap owner" cars later in life. It will come back to haunt us in the long run. I already see it happening.

The plan is to raise the bar. I want to see more "nice" 914's and less 500$ rollers.

b
redshift
ohmy.gif

I have $16,000 in my 2.0 so far, this year..... and it needs suspension, and paint. (and that doesn't add in shipping, or mechanic hours, or my tragic engine thingy)

I'm in limbo on my speedster project, but I imagined with cutting and all around $20k.

I spend every dime I have on these cars. It's fun, right?

unsure.gif

M
Eric_Shea
Brad is right. (now ship me my damn parts) wink.gif

I did a 915 last month and parts alone were $1,300 w/o bearings.

I have a 911-02 tranny (yes a 911, the 901 from 70-71) and I was told by Bruce Anderson that I could use this case (pull clutch mechanism) with a 911 clutch cable.

Anyone BTDT?

E.
Bleyseng
Brad, I said rebuilds START AT $750 not you can get a rebuilt tranny for $750. I also said the new parts are $$$$$$ expensive and to do it right you need new parts. Just changing the synchos on 1st and 2nd will work IF the other parts aren't toast, probably are too.
Sheesh, you can't even effin read anymore.....

Good thing I am in a good mood today, just had lunch with Rich D, talking about 914's and about you.

Look at my Avatar now, cuz he's pissing on you!

Geoff laugh.gif
ppickerell
Brad,
Let's wait until you are ready to keep the car as I will not be driving it this winter anyway sad.gif . I understand that some cannot or will not put bucks into these cars. I think it is cool that you can buy one and drive it for $2000-$3000 and not have to do much to it. I know that I will not be able to recoup in resale value what I will have into this car but I have seen some of the BEAUTIFUL cars that clubmembers have built, and I lust for that wub.gif !
Brad Roberts
I never said I could read..

Eric,

Bruce is correct (duh) but I have not done one this way. As long as your tranny case has the cable provision for it... do it.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.