Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '74 Silver Metallic Paint question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
Did Porsche use clear coat on the silver metallic cars in '74?

Thanks!
Brando
I don't believe Porsche used any clearcoat on their cars in the 70s. Someone who was around back when they were coming off the trucks might know (Crusty?).
TravisNeff
I would think that all the metallic colors were clear coated.
Justinp71
I thought clear coats did not come out until the late 80's, thats why in the 90's there were alot of cars with peeling clears. Unless that was just when they changed the formula. I know that My red (solid) 75 914 does not have a clear coat.

I also used to have a car that was a single stage metallic, so it is a possible to have metallic with out a clear.
McMark
My vote is for no clear.
Rusty
agree.gif
RoadGlue
Thanks everyone!
Tobra
Porsche did not paint any of the 914-4's, Karmann did. They used clearcoat on metallic silver cars in the 1970's, at least they did on my 1979 Super Beetle Convertible
smdubovsky
Lacquer clear coats have existed forever (think old metallic or metal flake muscle cars). I think one stage w/ clears (that look decent) are the new ones on the block. They took the lead out of paints in the late 70s(?) Maybe thats why clear coats in the 80s sucked...

SMD
Porsche Rescue
Metallic silver 914's were notorious for early paint failure. I think the villain was clear coat.
Tobra
paint on the bug held up well, but it lived in a garage for the most part
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.