Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: solid trans mounts ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
ok I feel kinda dumb asking this but....

ok I am assuming that the hard plastic part goes against the top of the trans mount ear and then the rectangle metal plate rests in the groove in the top of the hard plastic peice that would then bolt to the car ... stop if I am wrong here ..... but the under side I am reusing any of the old hardware like one of those funky dished pieces that are on the bottom w/ the orginal mounts ?
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(sk8kat1 @ Mar 8 2007, 10:52 AM) *

ok I feel kinda dumb asking this but....

ok I am assuming that the hard plastic part goes against the top of the trans mount ear and then the rectangle metal plate rests in the groove in the top of the hard plastic peice that would then bolt to the car ... stop if I am wrong here ..... but the under side I am reusing any of the old hardware like one of those funky dished pieces that are on the bottom w/ the orginal mounts ?

Just get a BIG 3/16" washer to go on the bottom of the tranaxle ear.
a large washer on the top under the bolt head.
Keep us updated as to how you like the solid mounts. popcorn[1].gif
Aaron Cox
i have the same mounts. love em!

the BIG washer that was used on the stock mounts is reused under the mounting ear..

this order

big flat plate
rubber/poly block
trans ear
big washer
nut

DONE
John
In my opinion, if you solidly mount the transmission ears, you had better also solid mount the engine, or you will risk breaking the trans mount ears off.

I have been running with solid engine and trans mounts for the past 19 years (track and street). There is no excessive vibration. In fact passengers don't notice anything unusual. Solid mounts may transmit more noise, but not vibrations.

The shifting is significantly improved when the engine and transmission stay in a fixed location.
Brando
I'm using the same solid mounts. They perform great... But if you've got a loud car expect that noise to be transferred right into the cab. It all reverberates in there.

In my opinion, if you solidly mount the transmission ears, you had better also solid mount the engine [...]
agree.gif
That's the best thing to do. I believe you can get delrin or other such solid mounts for the engine too.
sk8kat1
thanks for the info guys!! beer.gif

yup I figured that if part was solid mount and part was rubber that there would be stress transfered someplace so I am doing them both . biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.